Another Which premium boot thread

Takeem406

WKR
Sold off a redheaded step child rifle for twice what I bought it for. So I may be able to spend a few hundred on new boots.
I have a pair of Asolo, I think 520`s. I've had them for seven years and are still don't doing good. I put 10 miles on them yesterday.

I'm thinking of a high top boot that will work for snow. No packs, death before waking in packs lol! The Asolo's actually weren't bad until they got wet. Not sure on insulation. I have a pair of Mucks I wear field hunting waterfowl and for deer. Just with a little walking setting up decoys even in sub zero temps my feet get soaked in sweat.

I see Kenetrek has their 400's, but maybe a noninsulated model will be more versatile. Then I had wear a heavier Smartwool if need be?

Thanks boys.

I hunt in uninsulated boots with heavy wool socks down to -5* last year and my feet were still good. The secret to warm feet is dry feet. As for the boots I'm in love with my Zamberlan Sella's. They're beautifully made but mostly I love them because they fit ! There's quite a few good boots but if they don't fit your feet well then they suck ! Lowa , Hanwag , Scarpa , Scheenes , along with Zamberlan all make great boots.

Leaning towards Kenetreks just because my Scheels sells them. Montana is great, until you try buying high end gear. Our retailers suck at a good selection of premium products.

It is nice having the Scheels right there in Great Falls for the Kenetreks. I went with Schnee's when I was in Bozeman. They had a better fit and feel to me. I also run uninsulated boots and adjust socks accordingly. I agree dry feet are the most important thing. I wanted a pair of boots I could go with all year long. Using insulated in early season would just plain suck!

I read that Kenetrek advises going a half size bigger? Any truth to this? Seems like there's a lot of people from GF on here lol!

I have insulated and un-insulated Mountain Extremes and they are true to size. I'd be careful of going up a half size without trying them on, you'd be inviting heel lift.

I have a pair of the Extreme 400's. I definately don't think they run small and wouldn't size up. The Kenetrek should have a bit more volume than your Asolo. I've tried on the Schnees Granites and they fit much different than the Kenetrek. It's always hard to suggest boots to someone. Kenetrek are a good all purpose boot if they fit your feet.

My Mountain Extremes also run true to size. I wear a size 11 in all my hunting boots but, I do prefer to wear medium rather than heavy weight merino wool sock with the Kenetreks. I just find them more comfortable.

I picked up a pair of Kenetreks Friday night. Figuring breaking in is for sissies, I decided to brake them in while hunting. Started the day with spot and stalk mulies and finished it by packing my bear out. Absolutely amazing! No blisters or anything. It really helped pack that bear out!

I picked up a pair of Kenetreks Friday night. Figuring breaking in is for sissies, I decided to brake them in while hunting. Started the day with spot and stalk mulies and finished it by packing my bear out. Absolutely amazing! No blisters or anything. It really helped pack that bear out!

Which model of kenetreks?

I hunted Southeast Montana last fall over Thanksgiving. I wore uninsulated Lowa Tibets. Walked in snow almost every day. My feet stayed warm. I didn't sit much, they may have gotten cold if I'd done much glassing.

Cheapest place to buy the kennetreks?
It seems they're about the same price everywhere online. If you have a local brick-and-mortar store that carries Kenetrek, I'd try them first. I went to my local store and got a pair for about $100 less than MSRP.

Back