Any danners worth it?

Looking for a pair of Danners for Elk/Sheep/backpacking. Are any Danners worth buying for an all around backpacking boot?

I had good luck with a pair of china Danners around the same time my buddy had pretty poor luck with a pair of American Danners. I kind of get the feeling they've got their house a little more in order lately but they had some nagging quality issues a few years back which has left me gun-shy.
If the price is right and they fit, great. but there are a lot of boots out there so Danner isn't super high on my list.

Still have my Danners that Cabelas used to sell as the Elk hunters. Great boot. Just heavy and not all that comfortable for my feet. need to try them out again with some good foot beds.

The mountain assaults are sweet. Very rigid, supportive boot. I got 310 really nasty miles out of mine. Not quite as comfortable as a higher end boot IMO, but will perform right there with them.

I think they're horrible boots all around. I'm constantly in rough country for work and use the Salomon 4D GTX Forces and Rocky S2V.......just better boots by a long shot.

Danners feel nice for the first month or 2. Then in (my experience) they start to disentigrate. If your an office jock they might do last you. But if you wear them everyday to work and then to hunt in they're a waste of money.

The Danner boot of the 80's and 90's was a great boot for hunting and backpacking. When LaCrosse bought the company they changed everything. They cheapened the materials, changed the last, and they have ridden a good reputation into the ground. I had them resole my best pair before a sheep hunt in 2001 rather than buy the newer version and they didn't even do that right after two tries.

By the time I got out with my sheep the soles of my boots were only attached in the center of the boot so I got to slide around on snow covered loose shale with over a hundred pounds on my back and flopping boot soles.

There are too many good boot makers out there to burn money on Danners.

I bought a pair of Danner Elk Hunters a while back when cabelas sold them. Took them out to CO twice. They held up pretty well, maintained their waterproofness and had great traction. On the downside, they were heavy and did not offer that much ankle support. For the same price, I switched over to the Alaskan Meindl's. IMO there is no comparison. The Meindl's blow them away. The only area where the Danners may have outperformed was in the traction department but I believe that is due to the Danners being more flexible.

I still hunt in the Danners but it is more for tree stand deer hunting or bird hunting. I also believe Danner has cheapened up their boots quite a bit and there are better options if you are looking for a more technical type boot for the mountains.

I ran danners in the military 20 years ago matter horns and Acadias. I still have one two pairs in my inventory from way back when. The more recent danners aren't the same quality. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that they aren't old school Norwegian welter construction. They also cost less even without adjusting for inflation. I remember paying $200 a pair for Acadias. New danners can be had for dirt cheap if you shop right. I nbought 2 pairs of ich' sand a set of combat hikers for $60-75 each on the eBay. i don't do as many miles as some of you guys but for my mostly eastern hunting, I am pretty happy.

Looking for a pair of Danners for Elk/Sheep/backpacking. Are any Danners worth buying for an all around backpacking boot?
I have had 2 pairs of Danners and liked both of them...they fit my foot type well. They were the "stitchdown" type, which are typically better than the pronghorn style. I used mine for mule deer and elk hunting. Is there a reason you are asking specifically about Danners?

born and raised just outside of Portland - I tried and tried the original Danners on and off again but could never get them to feel good at all on MY feet and I've NEVER had a pair that was anywhere near waterproof but I sure had more than my share of blisters - When the Pronghorns hit the market I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, comfortable but no where near consistently water proof - About 5 years ago I was talked into trying a pair of Lowa boots, I'm a blue collar guy and I entered this new era of my life reluctantly, bought a pair of Tibets and I have never even glanced back once - There is no comparison whatsoever - Being one who puts stock in loyalty and local economy I really tried but, for me, I can't ever wear Danners for a light day's work and I have 2 pairs of Danners, a pair of Keen and a pair of new Nike boots sitting on the floor next to me as I am writing this, I wore a pair of Tibets yesterday and all day today and I am sold on good quality boots from now on because they're worth every dollar they cost, but that's just me with hard to fit feet I guess ..... merino wool socks rock too FWIW

I ran a poor pair of USA danners hard for 11 years. It was sad to finally toss those boots. (Now I wear USA made danner work boots. Amazing fit and feel. I brutalize them as a bridge engineer. The Quarry 6". ) I had ordered a pair of Schnee beartooths as replacement hunt boots and went to Portland to vacation. I tried on some hood mountain lights. So comfy right there. I passed since I had boots on the way.

Boots are not easy to recommend to people. Or feet are so different.

Not at all! Of course if you like buying new boots every year then knock yourself out. I've found my dollar is better spent on higher quality that will give me 5 or more years of service. When you do the math those 150 dollar boots are damn expensive and the $400 boots are a bargain.

I do not like my danners, my feel always are wet in them. I have never been able to stay dry and comfortable wearing them no matter how much waterproofing I use.

I have two pair of Danners and love them. That being said lots of good boots out there, depends on what your looking for. I have a pair of Saloman Hikers that I have probably had 12 years and just abused. Sole is just about worn flat. Still pretty waterproof and feel like slippers. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think any boot company is my absolute go to boot company, each has benefits and niches.

I have two pair of Danners and love them. That being said lots of good boots out there, depends on what your looking for. I have a pair of Saloman Hikers that I have probably had 12 years and just abused. Sole is just about worn flat. Still pretty waterproof and feel like slippers. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think any boot company is my absolute go to boot company, each has benefits and niches.

try some Lowa or Crispi and you "might" change your mind

After reading a good review here on Lathrop and Sons boot "system" I called them and had a long, pleasant and informative conversation with Steven at Lathrop & Sons - He could have sold me a "system" that day but since I'm gonna have knee replacements probably in June he told me to wait since there may be gait changes post surgery - I think that was a very straight forward honest response and will be fitting and ordering after I'm walking "normally" again - I just thought I'd mention that here because boots / feet are very likely the most important component of anyone's "equipment system" and what a person "thinks" is slipper comfy might not be at all once they've tried a boot of higher quality
DANNER started out in Portland as a working man's answer to West Coast Boots handmades but unwaveringly waterproof, they failed at that - Just like a scope with a replacement warranty that fails when you have a trophy in the sights, wet cold hurting feet can ruin an otherwise good hunt - did anyone used to see the "boot guy" at gunshows, etc selling returned Danner boots with the hole punched in the tongues for $50 or so ? In the old days I got just as good use from them as brand new Danners from the factory store - the company incorporated then sold then sold again, each time the "bottom line" became the bigger target - Now Danner tries to compete in the "stylish" market more than the "good boots" market IMO - I've purchased 2 pairs in the last 12 months just for summer work boots and neither gets worn at all because my feet and legs are happier at the end of a tough day if I wore my Lowa Tibets ..... being able to walk without hobbling or limping is worth the cost of quality boots and abusing one's feet or lower legs will take a toll in the end

Back