Any guys backpack hunting NC mountains this year?

freshta

WKR
I've lived here here in the RTP for the last 20 years and have yet to go backpack hunting in NC mountains. Keep saying I'm going but never do. I spend plenty of time up there trout fishing but never hunting. How is it? See many people up there?

Skull10

WKR
I've been in Cary for 10 years now and only bow hunt. I've hiked a lot in Uhwarrie but haven't back pack hunted in the NC mountains.

I definitely would like to give it a try. Is there plenty of public land?

OP
F

freshta

WKR
There’s a ton up at Pisgah and Nantahala. I know some good trout spots but no really good hunting spots.

OP
F

freshta

WKR
I’m gonna have to give it a shot this year. I have so much gear for backpacking and for my annual trek out west it seems a shame to not use it more around here.

Skull10

WKR
I’m gonna have to give it a shot this year. I have so much gear for backpacking and for my annual trek out west it seems a shame to not use it more around here.
That's what I keep thinking about with all my gear for backpack hunting out West. Shame to waist thousands of dollars in gear for one trip west a year.

I'm down if anyone wants to put a trip together. Deer are spread out in the mountains, they aren't feeding on corn. It makes it more enjoyable when you do get something.

What is your weapon of choice? I'm strictly archery these days.

Bl704

WKR
I've done a long weekend during the week deer and bear seasons overlap, with the bow a couple years ago.

No luck and a hellatious storm the second evening.

Good fun though.

OP
F

freshta

WKR
I prefer to hunt with a bow but sometimes hunt with a gun. This year It’ll be bowhunting until I head to Idaho and then it’s 2 weeks of gun. When I get back I’ll switch back.

b_young

FNG
I live in WNC. Hunting is REALLY tough here, especially on public land. There's not a shortage of public land, just a shortage of MANAGED public land. Just like out west, OnX maps is your friend. I use it all the time to find new places before I put boots on the ground. A good combination to look for is more habitat and less people. Your best approach would be similar to a western hunt approach. Don't just run up here for a day or 2 but try to set aside 4, 5 or more days and hunt hard. If your schedule allows, come up early with your fishing rod and scout some areas out.
If you approach a WNC hunt as an adventure, not just a hunt to kill something you'll have a great time but if you're dead-set on bringing back meat or a trophy you should probably look elsewhere.
We have more turkeys than deer so you may want to think about doing a backpack turkey hunt first. Turkey season is also prime trout season.
And just to be clear, I don't want this to sound like I'm deterring anyone from deer hunting here, just trying to be realistic and honest from my own experience. I absolutely love deer hunting on public land here, but it's hard as crap.

I'll be doing an overnighter or two up here around Haywood and the surrounding counties in early Muzzleloader and then again come Rifle season. I might make it over to McDowell at a place I picked out last year but never made it to, we shall see. There are deer around, just need to put boots on the ground and find them. I scouted above 5000' Saturday afternoon and found what I consider plenty of deer sign up here in there mountains (not saying much compared to public I hunt around Raleigh but more than other places up here I've been) within a .25 mile of there Parkway. Had planned on getting 1-2 miles back, eating a dehydrated meal for dinner and hiking back out before dark but a storm ran me back to the truck way sooner than I expected. No clue how hard those areas get hit come season but I'll find out. I like to focus on habitat diversity to start with if I can (hard up here thanks to terrible national forest management caused by environmental groups but it is possible, just have to think outside the box in that regard) then move on to topography for a starting place. Saddles, finger ridges and benches are your friend. Most of your pressure will be on the East side of Pisgah and the portion of Pisgah SW of Asheville, so get out here west of Asheville and you'll have less competition IMO. Just come on out and do it, it'll be a fun time.

Last edited:
OP
F

freshta

WKR
Thanks for your help fellers. I’m just gonna have to dive in head first and figure it out.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat of trying to figure it out. Am thinking of trying Pond Mountain game lands. I hunted near there growing up, but not been up there since it was converted to game lands.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Still haven't hunted it due to time, but I moved to Boone from South Carolina about a year or so ago. I've scouted, found sign of deer and bear, even saw deer, but never had time to get back out there during the season due to other hunts I had scheduled.

With that said, there is no shortage of deer around my area. I could leave my house right now, drive 2 miles down the road, and I'd be shocked if I didn't see at least 10 deer in that stretch if it's within an hour of sunrise or sunset. All private though.

OP
F

freshta

WKR
I think I’m headed up to a few places this month and scout. Gonna see if anything looks promising at all.

ZT3006

FNG
I think I’m headed up to a few places this month and scout. Gonna see if anything looks promising at all.
I go to school in Jackson county and am going to be doing a good bit of hunting for both deer and bear this coming season. I haven’t seen much bear sign but I have seen a decent bit of deer.

Rockhound

FNG
Did any of you folks make it up? Trip reports? I am reading Mark Kenyon's "That Wild Country" and it's getting me excited to load up and head out for a few days. A spring turkey and trout backpacking trip sounds awesome. Live in Saluda.

OP
F

freshta

WKR
I never made it up. Would like to say business or family obligations was the cause but nothing but excuses really. I’m planning a tenkara/packing trip for the spring though. Im thinking of buying that book as well. Sounds like a good one.

I know the season just got over. But.... I'm goin this coming year for sure. Never hunted the mountains so should be interesting.