Any Ultra Runners?

Brado16

WKR
Wondering if there are many Ultra Runners out there? My primary fitness activity is running and really provides a great base for backpack hunting out west even though the elevation here in WI is only about 1600'. I cannot stand running on treadmills so when Winter arrives here in Northern WI late Fall and the snow flies and the temp and windchill drops well below 0, I dress in layers and put my YackTracks on my shoes and head out the door to get my weekly runs in which are usually in the dark with a headlamp after work on week nights.

I started Running about 3.5 years ago and completed my first Marathon a little less than 3 years ago and have ran several marathons per year since including a trail marathon last July. My most recent race with a 21k (1/2 Marathon) Trail race in the mountains near Dubai this past April 1st. I just so happened to be in Dubai for work so figured I would use the race as a training run instead of running on a treadmill at my hotel.

I have always be intrigued by the extreme distance a person can run when they have trained properly which lead me to signing up for my first Ultra Marathon Trail race, a 50K in MN May 21st which im super pumped for. I have a 2nd 50K race signed up for Mid August in MI. The elevation gains on these races are obviously much smaller than a similar race out West in the mountains but are still consider a decent amount of elevation here in the Midwest, (8,400' of total elevation gain/loss). I am hoping these two races go well and hope to be able to push myself onwards for 50M and 100k Ultras next year. Any veteran Ultra Runners on here have any words of wisdom or anyone else have some Ultras planned for this year or have experience training and/or running an Ultra?

Last edited:
Cross train.

I ran a 50 mile ultra a couple of years ago and weighed 195 pounds. I felt much better and recovered much faster than previous years when I ran 50k races at 180-185 pounds.

I would do some strength training and some biking in there. I only ran 3-4 days per week when training for the 50 mile.

Best of luck with your race!

OP
Brado16

Brado16

WKR
Jason thanks for the input. I am going to pickup a road bike in the next two weeks as a Birthday present to myself for cross training two/three days a week. How many miles a week were you logging when you were getting 3-4 runs per week training for the 50M?

Hoot

WKR
I also am intrigued by Ultra's and also Tri's

So far I've only run 1/2 marathon distances, but I am going to sign up for some marathons and a 1/2 ironman here soon

I'm not a veteran ultra guy, I've done 4 Bridger Ridge Runs, and a few 50ks. The difference between a 50k and a 50 miler is night and day. Miles 42-50 were brutal. It's very much mental at that point, as well as knowing what your body needs in terms of fluids, salts, foods.

Most people over emphasize the uphill portion of races. The downhill is what will shred your legs. Eccentric contractions get absolutely brutal after several miles and several thousand feet elevation drop. That's where the squats and deadlifts will pay off.

OP
Brado16

Brado16

WKR
Im running 45-55 miles a week right now but will start tapering after this week and work more on core and leg strength training and hill intervals these last three weeks. Kind of late but it all adds up in the end. The second 50K I have in August I'll be much better prepared for.

GotDraw?

WKR
I heavily ultra'd for a few years-- bicycling.

With extreme mileage, at some point most folks will reach the point of diminishing returns, so why do it if you will not gain extra aerobic capacity or much incremental endurance vs. chance of getting hurt? The last thing you want is a stress fracture or tendonitis that impacts your hunting season viability and can take months to recover from.

Sounds like you've figured this out so my remaining comment is for other readers...

Ask yourself if you're training for backcountry hunting or if ultra's are your primary focus.

JL

DWinVA

WKR
Completed a 50k here in VA (Eastern Divide Ultra) a few years ago, my first and probably last. Have done a few marathons before and after the 50k but now usually max out at half marathons with more biking and weighted pack walks and hikes.

God Bless.

Although I won't call myself a veteran, I've run 3 50k's, 3 50 milers, a 100k and the WS100. If you're a good athlete and runner, you can run long, but the training is often worse than the actual event. My ultra running was a span of a few years, did it, loved it and finally reached my goal of running 100 miles well, now I'm on to 30k and less fast trail stuff.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I've run a few ultras, 50 miles twice, a 12 hour race, and a 50k. I'm training for my first 100 in September. So to answer GotDraw?'s question, my primary focus is ultra this year... I will be rifle hunting in October instead of bow hunting in September.

Like someone else said, I think cross training is important. I take a HIIT type class two days a week and run 5 days. I feel like the general fitness from the class keeps me balanced and helps prevent the overuse injuries associated with running lots of miles.

Good luck with your training and racing!

Jimbo V

WKR
I've done a couple 50ks and did the Leadville 50 miler. I might do it again this year but I'm not sure yet. Ultras to me are more mental than physical. It amazes me how far the body will go, it's the mind that tries to make you quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brado16, you are on the right track. You will love them and they are not near as daunting as they seem. I have run numerous ultras and founded the Cascade Crest 100 miler in Washington State----great race by the way. There are so many good and scenic ultras out there that it is tough to choose which ones to go to. I have always loved the mountains and running so ultras just fit. I CANNOT stand pavement even though I have run road marathons also. I can run a trail 50 miler and not be near as sore as a road marathon. Most die hard old school ultra guys will tell you that an ultra is anything over a 50 miler and some will even say a 100 miler but the standard is basically a 50K. As someone else said, they are extremely mental and I totally agree. You are gonna hurt, period. But you just have to find a way to push through it and obviously training is instrumental in that but one word of caution is do not over train. I always felt that you had a better chance to finish one if you went into a bit under trained than the opposite----good way to get yourself hurt. I also felt that you had to have rest every other day so that is how I trained. I ran on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and would do a long one on Saturdays. The long ones are the key---teaches you about the mental aspect and some runners swear by back to back long runs which I have also done.
And I will also throw this out as I can no longer run due to a lower back issue. ENJOY every footstep along the way and don't take your time for granted. I miss it dearly and you just never know when your last race will be.

Randy

I've done 4 road marathons and 2 Elkhorn 50K's. At peak I was probably hitting 60 miles per week when training. Due to injuries I'm trying to diversify my training more with biking and hiking. My cousin is a big ultra guy and has done 4 or 5 100 mile races. I'd like to do a 50 miler at some point in the next few years. Totally agree with Jimbo that ultras are a mental game. The biggest difference between a 50K, 50 miler and 100 miler is how long you choose to suffer.

OP
Brado16

Brado16

WKR
Mtnwrunner the Cascade Crest 100 looks like an great run! One of the hardest things I am noticing is choosing a race since there are so many that looks like they would be great to run especially Ultras out West in the Mountains compared to here in the Midwest. I got in 20 miles last Saturday and 6 on Sunday with about 3,500' of assent on the trails near La Crosse WI and got 6 more trail miles in on Tuesday in the Porcupine Mountains in the UP of Michigan. Will try to get in another 30-40 miles by Sunday and then tapper until race day on May 21st. As far as the mental aspect, I think I will be ok with the 50K but I could see how that could make or break you at a 50 or 100M race. I like what you said airlocksniffer about the differences between a 50K, 50M and 100M is how long you choose to suffer! :D Thanks to everyone else who has posted too. Maybe next year we could get everyone together for a Rokslide Run or all meet up at anther race.

BradR

FNG
Brado16, I hope your taper is going well! Now just stay healthy, injury free and get plenty of sleep a few days before the race.

I am 54 and started running ultra's on my 40th birthday. They are actually more enjoyable than marathons as you are not in full stride the whole time. You will find plenty of inspiration and new friends on race day.Once I caught up to a one-legged military veteran at mile 70, I stopped bitching and moaning right then. Even though you are competing with others, you all are together against the distance, the mountain and the pain. Fueling is critical,eat and drink early and often. If you hit a ruff spot, hang in there it will fade. All that training and dreaming will get you to the end.

It is kinda a selfish sport, as you spend hours alone knocking out miles and hours. When you move up to the 100 milers you will need the help and support of family and friends. You will be humbled and cheered, doubtful and cocky. Its more about the grit in your belly, than the price of the shoes.

Race day is a blast! smile , cheer and soak it all in. It is like following a blood trail to a well hunted elk. It is as much of a rush and just as addicting. Run your ownrace. And its O.K. to cry at end. Have fun!!!!