Any western rifle hunts in August?

SDHNTR

WKR
I want to take my kids hunting more, and not have to be yanked out of school. I don’t mind a three day long weekend hunt in October or November, but it would be nice to have a longer 5 to 7 day hunt. Anything out there that can be hunted in late August with a rifle? My kids are still too young to be proficient at bow hunting.

Montana has antlerless elk hunts starting August 15. They are generally limited to private lands, but sometimes also state and BLM lands, Just not Forest Service. These hunts continue through December, so taking them during Christmas Break could be an option too!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You can hunt in California over Summer break very easily. Black Bear and Deer Archery season starts as early as the 2nd Saturday in July. Black Bear and Deer Rifle season in A Zone starts as early as the second Saturday in August.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
You can hunt in California over Summer break very easily. Black Bear and Deer Archery season starts as early as the 2nd Saturday in July. Black Bear and Deer Rifle season in A Zone starts as early as the second Saturday in August.
I live in CA so I know A zone well. And that would get real expensive. I’m not subjecting my little kids, who I want to actually enjoy hunting, to an A zone public land experience in August.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I live in CA so I know A zone well. And that would get real expensive. I’m not subjecting my little kids, who I want to actually enjoy hunting, to an A zone public land experience in August.

Interesting. I live in A zone and hunt both private and public land every year and have an awesome time. I hear a lot of people say "A zone sucks, I've hunted it my whole life." I always laugh at these guys. There are almost 5 MILLION acres of public land in A zone and another 22 Million acres of private land, the vast majority of which is unhunted. Do some research, put in some work, and enjoy it. I was that "little kid" 20 years ago.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Interesting. I live in A zone and hunt both private and public land every year and have an awesome time. I hear a lot of people say "A zone sucks, I've hunted it my whole life." I always laugh at these guys. There are almost 5 MILLION acres of public land in A zone and another 22 Million acres of private land, the vast majority of which is unhunted. Do some research, put in some work, and enjoy it. I was that "little kid" 20 years ago.
My comments stem mostly from the public land in the A zone South. A 12 yr old kid needs to see deer to stay entertained. Especially if you are going to put him though a 5+ mile hike in 100+ degree temps.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
If far west is more your flavor Alaska has black bear, brown bear, sheep, goat, moose, caribou and deer for rifle season in August. Though moose is at the tail end with a couple units starting August 25th.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
AK is probably too hard core for an intro hunt for a kid.

I find it funny these days with people saying their kids need to be entertained. If that is the case maybe they are not ready for a deer hunt. We all want your kids to be successful and want to create opportunities for them but I hope the entertainment value is the least on the list. Yes the A zone is hot but there are deer and one can have a successful hunt.

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Washington has over the counter bear tags. Season opens August 1st.

It's all spot & stalk, though some have had success with predator calls as well. Some good bears here.

Guy

Marble

WKR
I think the quality of the hunt would give the kids the best expereince. Choose the hunt, doesnt matter when and make it work for the kids.

School can be put off for a week. There are things like independent study where I live. Problem solved.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
You can always do a wild pig hunt in CA in August.

-- Scott
no doubt. We’ve done that several times. But that can also be done over a weekend. Was looking for a bit more lengthy experience.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My comments stem mostly from the public land in the A zone South. A 12 yr old kid needs to see deer to stay entertained. Especially if you are going to put him though a 5+ mile hike in 100+ degree temps.
I find it funny that anyone wouldn’t understand how entertainment value needs to be top of the list for a kids’ hunt criteria. I want my kids to actually like hunting.

Are you saying that your 12 year old son wouldn’t enjoy being out on a backpacking trip with his Dad for a few days?

I absolutely cherish those memories with my dad. Some of the best trips were the ones where we never even got to pull the trigger.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Then let someone else take them!
The west sure doesn't need a sour puss with an attitude!!🔥
Sure, I bet you internet tough guys took your 8 year old daughter on dusty, 105 degree death marches, up and down steep, dangerous, brushy canyon walls for days on end without seeing a deer in order to “properly” introduce them to hunting. Gotta make it miserable to hardenher up and make sure she’s not a sour puss, right? Unbelievable.

Makes me wonder if some of you guys have actually ever taken a kid hunting more than once?

Anyone who’s done this before knows how important it is to make those first few hunting trips a pleasant experience if you want it to stick.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Are you saying that your 12 year old son wouldn’t enjoy being out on a backpacking trip with his Dad for a few days?

I absolutely cherish those memories with my dad. Some of the best trips were the ones where we never even got to pull the trigger.
He would, but not when it’s 100+ degrees. Hell, I won’t enjoy that!

And I also want something enjoyable for the whole family. Mom and Sis too. Camping is great, and is one thing we welcome, but extreme conditions backpacking isn’t in the cards.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
He would, but not when it’s 100+ degrees. Hell, I won’t enjoy that!

Funny. I don’t remember the temps at all when I think back on those trips. And it’s not 100 degrees every day in all of A zone lol. Relax. You’re exaggerating and making excuses. If you don’t want to do the hunt and put it work just say I don’t want to do it. Stop trying to justify it to yourself.