anyone pack in a "lightweight" cot?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you would need a really oversized bivy to accommodate a bag/quilt and cot; part of the bivy' utility is that it provides protection underneath as well as on top, with a cot you don't need protection underneath

I think in damp conditions a cot would be really nice to get off the ground

Boreal

WKR
Has anyone tried an ultralight pad, like the Klymit Intertia-x? It's only 6.9 oz. The pad would provide the thermal protection, while the cot provided comfort. I've got a Helinox, and have slept very well on it several times, but not in any cold situations. Seems like this would provide good thermal protection under your core, at a minimal weight penalty.

View attachment 50975

I decided to go with a Thermarest Z pad. I haven't used it yet, so I can't speak from experience, but it's light, no fuss (no inflating, leaking, etc.), and costs around $30.
35b012f30fb4400e3f563726b3282e90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't normally run a pad on my cot, but I have tried a couple. I can my Xtherm on it and it was comfy, but I rolled off a couple of times. I've also used a regular thermarest closed cell foam pad. It wasn't bad but it's bulky and takes up a lot of space.

I don't normally run a pad on my cot, but I have tried a couple. I can my Xtherm on it and it was comfy, but I rolled off a couple of times. I've also used a regular thermarest closed cell foam pad. It wasn't bad but it's bulky and takes up a lot of space.

I'm really hoping that I'll be able to tolerate padless for my fall mountain hunts but, I think if I can't, I can always strap the Z pad to my pack and it won't be too bad of a wt. penalty.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
I had the opportunity to use the thermarest cot on a recent family backpack trip and it is worth the extra weight. Never slept so well in a tent. I used a neoair pad, but thinking it was overkill. Will likely just use my Z-pad for lightness and it has about the same R-value. This will be coming along with me all the time. I am spoiled and willing to pack the extra ounces.

I usually run my cot with no pad, just my super woobie and bivy. Since I'm already carrying layers I just use those as needed to sleep in as well.

With this setup I've been good in September in Montana and Colorado and when I've got the stove going I'm doing fine into December in Colorado.

fwafwow

WKR

I decided to go with a Thermarest Z pad. I haven't used it yet, so I can't speak from experience, but it's light, no fuss (no inflating, leaking, etc.), and costs around $30.
35b012f30fb4400e3f563726b3282e90.jpg

How did this work for you?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
you would need a really oversized bivy to accommodate a bag/quilt and cot; part of the bivy' utility is that it provides protection underneath as well as on top, with a cot you don't need protection underneath

I think in damp conditions a cot would be really nice to get off the ground
Any recommendations on a bivy that would work for the large Thermarest (26"x77")?

How did this work for you?

It worked out well for the most part, when it stayed under me on the cot. Occasionally I would wake up with part of my body directly on the cot and cold, so I'd have to shift around and get the pad back underneath me. I think that in the future, I'll just either sew or glue some Velcro to the cot and glue it to the pad which should eliminate that issue.

Any recommendations on a bivy that would work for the large Thermarest (26"x77")?

Borah Gear also does some custom work that is very reasonable as well. I have a XL, ultra light wt. Borah Gear bivy that I may part with if you're interested.

fwafwow

WKR
Borah Gear also does some custom work that is very reasonable as well. I have a XL, ultra light wt. Borah Gear bivy that I may part with if you're interested.
Thanks. I'm still debating a bivy vs a tent but will let you know if I go with the former.