Anyone tuning in on the KUIU Live intro?

I understand everyone's hesitations about the claims they're making but I got to watch it and thought the most interesting part was them talking about having the different hydro down's independently tested. If his claims are true, that's pretty significant.

For those that didn't get to watch, he said they took their Quix down and had it independently tested with the other "three most popular" hydro down options. They did the water can shaking test where they put a handful in a container with water and shake it up. He said that the total shake time was 180 minutes. Two of the other three samples "wetted out" in 20 minutes and one of the competitors lasted the full 180 minutes along with the Quix down. Then, they washed the products like you would a down garment to test longevity. After washing, they did the same test again. The two that lasted 20 minutes in the first go wetted out really quickly this time and the other competitor that lasted the full 180 only made it about 20 minutes. Quix down lasted the full 180 minutes again without wetting out.

Like I said, if this test is accurate, that's a big deal.

Honestly it would take me being in much more extreme conditions for me to justify a quix down bag. I have a good shelter and a good bivy. If I was ONLY using a bivy or exposed myself more to the elements then sure it would be a smart move. Seems more appropriate applications exist in clothing than sleeping bags but that's just my .02!

Honestly it would take me being in much more extreme conditions for me to justify a quix down bag. I have a good shelter and a good bivy. If I was ONLY using a bivy or exposed myself more to the elements then sure it would be a smart move. Seems more appropriate applications exist in clothing than sleeping bags but that's just my .02!

It seems to me that the coated down would be more beneficial with condensation given off from your body than the worry of getting rained on. Kind of bridging the gap between down and synthetic on dealing with moisture. In theory anyway. Like you, I won't be buying anytime soon until it is more time proven.

Robby,

Yeah, Jasons goal when he started KUIU was to make the best he could and still keep it "affordable" by cutting out the middle man. Folks seem to forget that and want him to drop quality to get the price THEY want to pay.

So what do you all think? Did they win any hearts?

He did answer the price point question. Basically, Direct to consumer model means better product, not lower price.

All I can say, is I'd love to try one of those zero bags in November in the Idaho backcountry!

So what do you all think? Did they win any hearts?

He did answer the price point question. Basically, Direct to consumer model means better product, not lower price.

!

I thought in his blog. Back in the day. One of the first posts claimed the opposite. Ill have to dig a bit to find it.

Add: The direct connection between the customer and KUIU means accurate, insightful, and readily available information. It also means we can sell direct and avoid traditional retail mark-up, which means we can sell our products for roughly half the usual price. It also means we can sell a level of quality and performance that many of our customers wouldn’t otherwise be able to obtain. All this ultimately 28 www.huntinfool.com makes it possible for us to source the best fabrics, build the best finished products, and sell them for less than our competitors.

I did not watch the vid, nor am I hating. But after receiving a couple stackable online coupon codes for up to 40% off it kinda erked my experience with kuiu. Ill buy used all day though ;)

Last edited:
http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/02/26/what-are-you-paying-for/#sthash.EYvn5gaU.dpbs

There is many more examples on his blog, if you just search price point. Direct to consumer model in his company was developed to deliver better product and not have to worry about hitting a retail price point.

Thats a fairly new entry. Im talking back on 2010, 2011. If a retailer launched 40% off sales it would cut their throat, unless they paid much less than normal.

Several times I have received coupon codes that could add up to 40% off kuiu, possibly discontinued products? Not real sure. But a 40%+ mark up on direct to consumer model is a good chunk of change going into someones wallet. It leads me to believe there is a 50%+ markup on products, with no cuts going elsewhere. Once again im not hating, just shining some light on the changes ive seen over the years. The actual price point paid for (outsourced) manufacturing compared to the price we see will always be a guess. Its brilliant dont get me wrong.

I get the hint its more of a "personal retailer" than a direct to consumer. Kinda like how schnees is the only one profiting off stone glacier. Yet a middle man is making a few bucks on the product. And im sure schnees and kurt are doing just fine. At a comparable price point to kuiu packs. *just a vague ex.

But a 40%+ mark up on direct to consumer model is a good chunk of change going into someones wallet. It leads me to believe there is a 50%+ markup on products, with no cuts going elsewhere. On.

Typical markup on clothing is 100-500% Don't fool yourself, they are still making good money when they offer 40% off sales.

Last edited:
Typical markup on clothing is 100-500% Don't fool yourself, they are still making good money when they offer 40% off sales.

Im aware of typical mark up, costs, and so forth. Ive dabbled in retail a bit... But I distinctly remember the mission statement behind the business stating there saving consumers such and such amounts of money by being direct. In reality the mission statement is false imo. Its outsourced products, manufactured for pennies on the dollar. Regardless of promotional glorification of product specs. Yet its the same price if not more than every one of its competitors, even some american made competitors.

A quick walk thru the manufacturing facility and the livelyhood of the employees at say kifaru. (Not brand pumping nor am I a fan boy of any apparel or gear companies) just using an example. Would show the difference in cost justification. Or lack there of. When compared to even the elite chinese/japenese manufacturing facilities. And where the money is going.

I may be waaay off track and there is a solid trust worthy group of people (im not saying they arent) at kuiu. and im aware that if it erks me I should just tune out. Like I said im simply shining a light.

This^! As a retailer I try not to sell much product where I don't have at minimum a 30% markup. That's to MAP pricing to even be somewhat competitive in the online world. However brick and mortar stores are typically right at MSRP which is usually an additional 15-25% markup. As a manufacturer you are seeing an even higher markup to customers direct. 100-200% is pretty typical which still gives them 50%+ markup when selling to dealers...

Mike

Im aware of typical mark up, costs, and so forth. Ive dabbled in retail a bit... But I distinctly remember the mission statement behind the business stating there saving consumers such and such amounts of money by being direct. In reality the mission statement is false imo. Its outsourced products, manufactured for pennies on the dollar. Regardless of promotional glorification of product specs. Yet its the same price if not more than every one of its competitors, even some american made competitors.

There is one of two things going on with Kuiu's pricing, either he is charging retail prices for his gear, or he is being ripped off by toray and their sew factory and paying way too much for their fabrics and services.....

There is one of two things going on with Kuiu's pricing, either he is charging retail prices for his gear, or he is being ripped off by toray and their sew factory and paying way too much for their fabrics and services.....

Sums it up well. But they don't consider themselves a "retailer" they consider themselves elite premium proprietary hardcore scientific manufacturers. In reality there there own bass pro with diff. Lingo.

Part of Sitka markup goes to tv commercials, and celebrity endorsements. Kuiu mark up goes to helicopter rental for over head images of outerwear in the swiss alps while they chase exotic game. Each to his own :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a kuiu hater by any means. I followed Jason and his blog before kuiu was even kuiu. Like others, i'm just a little disappointed with all the broken promises.

Is that why you're getting rid of some of your Kuiu stuff? Just curious.

Not really, but after my experience with the SD line so far, I don't think it is the right stuff for the way I use gear. I have a bunch of other kuiu clothing I do like and use all the time though.

Last edited:
Back