Anything new for 6.8 western ?

wartak

FNG
Doubtful there high demand for a new bullet that works in precisely one saami cartridge.
I was pointing out more to the fact that if they’re for sale to the public they have enough to sell 5,000 to choice so they can load them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well.. are you saying choice ammo ceo is lying to me? He (Jon) told me they had an order in and that there wasn't enough available for them to make a lot of them.. perhaps they need enough to work up a dependable load? I don't know.. I'm just taking what i was told at face value 🤷
Perhaps Barnes wants to be first on the market with a factory option in their bullet?

Spoonbill

WKR
Doubtful there high demand for a new bullet that works in precisely one saami cartridge.
I was pointing out more to the fact that if they’re for sale to the public they have enough to sell 5,000 to choice so they can load them

Technically 2 saami cartridges, Nosler came out with the 27 Nosler and very quickly provided no support for it. Be interesting if Barnes produced 27 Nosler ammo, though I am not sure if there is any demand for it.

wartak

FNG
Technically 2 saami cartridges, Nosler came out with the 27 Nosler and very quickly provided no support for it. Be interesting if Barnes produced 27 Nosler ammo, though I am not sure if there is any demand for it.
I'm pretty sure I see even less 27 nosler than 6.8 western. I do have to say though I'd be quite pleased to see a 170 grain Partition offering in .277

Spoonbill

WKR
I'm pretty sure I see even less 27 nosler than 6.8 western. I do have to say though I'd be quite pleased to see a 170 grain Partition offering in .277
They technically make a 160 partition for the 270 but I believe the bullet was changed slightly to work for a 1-10 twist? I bought a couple boxes pre covid to try out but never got around to it. I don’t think Nosler ever loaded them into the 27 nosler though.

wartak

FNG
They technically make a 160 partition for the 270 but I believe the bullet was changed slightly to work for a 1-10 twist? I bought a couple boxes pre covid to try out but never got around to it. I don’t think Nosler ever loaded them into the 27 nosler though.
It's a shame, It sure would be nice to see the 27's get a bit more love.

z987k

WKR
A G1 bc of .710 ... that can't be right?
It is. Shoot him an e-mail.
It's a really long bullet, and unless you're loading the 6.8W in a long action with a custom throat, probably will be seated so deep as to lose a lot of powder capacity.

wartak

FNG
It is. Shoot him an e-mail.
It's a really long bullet, and unless you're loading the 6.8W in a long action with a custom throat, probably will be seated so deep as to lose a lot of powder capacity.
That kind of defeats the purpose then no?

wartak

FNG
Not if the decreased powder capacity still sufficiently pushes the bullet to an upset velocity which falls within your end use needs

Your not wrong, I guess I just look at it like there is a pinnacle for every cartridge for velocity energy and balistic performance. When you hit the peak performance that's kind of ideal adding heavier bullets with less powder just starts to go the opposite way with performance.. 🤷‍♂️ I don't know I'm no expert I just cut imagine why someone would want less efficiency. But perhaps I'm missing something?

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Your not wrong, I guess I just look at it like there is a pinnacle for every cartridge for velocity energy and balistic performance. When you hit the peak performance that's kind of ideal adding heavier bullets with less powder just starts to go the opposite way with performance.. I don't know I'm no expert I just cut imagine why someone would want less efficiency. But perhaps I'm missing something?

Your missing lots
The added benefit of that extra “performance” starts about 880 yards.
How often are you shooting at game past 900 yards?

Secondly your taking a cartridge and already handicapping it with a mono so performance isn’t an issue

There’s no such thing as peak performance, there’s adequate performance for your intended needs.
Whatever velocity may be lost, which could be none, by stuffing a bullet farther into the powder isn’t going to change the effectiveness of the 6.8 w

Don’t jump over dollars to look for potential Pennie’s, they’re often plug nickels

wartak

FNG
Your missing lots
The added benefit of that extra “performance” starts about 880 yards.
How often are you shooting at game past 900 yards?

Secondly your taking a cartridge and already handicapping it with a mono so performance isn’t an issue

There’s no such thing as peak performance, there’s adequate performance for your intended needs.
Whatever velocity may be lost, which could be none, by stuffing a bullet farther into the powder isn’t going to change the effectiveness of the 6.8 w

Don’t jump over dollars to look for potential Pennie’s, they’re often plug nickels

Yeah I get that, I guess I'm not a very good shooter myself. I have a bit of trouble at 1000 yards. I can hit a 4x4 steel maybe 1 out of 5-10 shots depending on the day. Being lacking in the skills department I'm seeing things from the flattest shooting perspective.. less compensation I have to make up for. I use the same bullets for target and hunting so I can focus on me instead of having to remember different moa adjustments. You are looking at it from an experts pov.. also I need to point out that I don't think my hand loads have surpassed premium precision factory ammo yet.. like I said I'm a genuine newbie even though I have been shooting rifles for ... some 23 or 24 years its been just the last couple years that I have tried pushing things past the 500 yard mark.

Also I'm curious why you say a mono handicaps a cartridge? Generally an equivalent weight bullet in mono will have higher bc? Other than powder capacity I don't see a downside. If you can explain?

Unckebob

WKR
I found out there is an X-Bolt available for just over $800. 20" barrel and suppressor ready.

Browning 035592299 X-BOLT Stalker SUP RDY 6.8WESTERN 20" FDE/BLUED

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Here’s some 27 Nosler loads.
Left to right is Berger 170 EOL at .05 off the lands of a factory M21, factory 165 ABLR cartridge, and then the 129 LRX. Definitely some room to run a long throated 27 with the EOL and 165 ABLR, assume the same with the 155 LRX and Badlands.

Attachments

• IMG_7045.jpeg
    IMG_7045.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7051.jpeg
    IMG_7051.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 23