Anything new for 6.8 western ?

Unckebob

WKR

If you do a search for "Browning 035592299 X-BOLT Stalker," you will find it available at a number of online stores including Buds and Classic firearms.

I wrote Browning yesterday about that model. They said it was a special model made for a Summer Bash.

z987k

WKR
If you do a search for "Browning 035592299 X-BOLT Stalker," you will find it available at a number of online stores including Buds and Classic firearms.

I wrote Browning yesterday about that model. They said it was a special model made for a Summer Bash.
Did they say anything about the differences from the speed? Looks like the stock is different... barrel contour/weight, is it cerekoted black or just some dark bluing type of thing?

Gila

WKR
That ammo will sell like hot cakes…That is an interesting bullet for sure.

Gila

WKR
Yeah when I talked to them they said the LRX was on back order.. looks like it's in fairly high demand.
Right now the 6.8 Western ammo is hard to find. You can buy the copper impacts and PowerPoints but the big outlets are charging an arm and a leg. The LRABS and Gamechangers I have not been able to find. Brass is sold out too. Hopefully Peterson and ADG will start producing brass as well as Winchester.

Gila

WKR
If you don't mind could you post about its performance?
I am not buying any…just looked over what they have to offer. Their prices really are good compared to Browning and Winchester offerings….I am sure it is better ammo. I am looking for brass actually.

gerry35

WKR
Right now the 6.8 Western ammo is hard to find. You can buy the copper impacts and PowerPoints but the big outlets are charging an arm and a leg. The LRABS and Gamechangers I have not been able to find. Brass is sold out too. Hopefully Peterson and ADG will start producing brass as well as Winchester.
Just asked Petersen and they said no plans for it at this time. Considering all the weird cases they produce it makes no sense, far more 6.8's out there than some of the stuff they offer. Waiting to hear back from ADG, Lapua, Norma and Nosler.

Gila

WKR
Lapua and Norma are sending a lot of brass to the war effort. I don’t expect much from them for the time being. Winchester and Browning cannot keep up with their rifles or their ammunition. The demand for brass is high and that demand is only going to increase. Winchester alone can’t possibly keep up with the increasing demand. Peterson seems to be a little slow catching up to the market for some reason. Brass producer’s will eventually step up to the plate to fill the void just a question of when in my opinion.

I think that the honeymoon is over for “the cartridge that should not be named”. Shooter’s are starting to realize just how good the 6.8 West really is. A short action cartridge that can send more energy down range at 500 yards than a 300 win mag with a similar weight bullet while achieving excellent precision. The cartridge burns much less powder and has half the recoil in a lightweight rifle. I am seeing gun writers (who aren’t marketing tools for their sponsors) giving the 6.8 western the nod of approval that it deserves. The “my dog’s better“ crowd is starting to lean towards the 6.8 Western. There are three new rifles chambered for 6.8 Western just in this thread.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas/bpro had ablr in stock right now and had 175 tgk for most of fall. They also have browning 170 silver series. Not had any issue finding ammo/bullets. New brass has not been available. I have not seen prices any different than any other round

Choiceammunition has a bunch of good 6.8 loads - 170 btip, 165 ablr, 170 eol, and about to drop 155 lrx. Guys on FB groups loving it but not tried it personally

Lou

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
Just asked Petersen and they said no plans for it at this time. Considering all the weird cases they produce it makes no sense, far more 6.8's out there than some of the stuff they offer. Waiting to hear back from ADG, Lapua, Norma and Nosler
A guy in FB group said he called them and getting lot of requests for round but didn’t think they would get to it until next Dec at earliest. I guess it depends who you talk to what kind of answer you get as some folks get brushed off as no plans. When I emailed them long while back said they were planning to do it but I don’t remember exact response. Been using Win brass with good results but would be nice to have options

Lou

gerry35

WKR
@Gila Ammo is brutally expensive up here so I hope the brass shows up soon. Thankfully one of the stores I shop at online (about a 5 hour drive from here) is bringing in a lot of 6.8 Western ammo and components. I'm on their email list for brass when it comes in. If I could get 250 pieces together with my once fired brass then that would be awesome.

@Lou270 thanks for the additional info, I do remember them in the past being receptive to the idea.

Gila

WKR
Cabelas/bpro had ablr in stock right now and had 175 tgk for most of fall. They also have browning 170 silver series. Not had any issue finding ammo/bullets. New brass has not been available. I have not seen prices any different than any other round

Choiceammunition has a bunch of good 6.8 loads - 170 btip, 165 ablr, 170 eol, and about to drop 155 lrx. Guys on FB groups loving it but not tried it personally

Lou
Thanks for the info. I am glad that Cabelas has restocked. I couldn’t get any at the local Cabelas a couple of weeks ago. I ordered from Sportsmans. I am sure that availablity will improve after the hunting season winds down. Hopefullly some brass wil show up soon….I have the bullets and the powder. The dies came in the mail last week. In the mean time….I will just have to get in some target practice.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Just asked Petersen and they said no plans for it at this time. Considering all the weird cases they produce it makes no sense, far more 6.8's out there than some of the stuff they offer. Waiting to hear back from ADG, Lapua, Norma and Nosler.
That’s a bummer. I thought Peterson was going to be our best chance to offer it.

Does anyone know how much quantity would be needed for adg to do a custom run of brass? They do headstamped Sherman cartridges and a couple other smaller runs it seems. Maybe we could all pool together to make a minimum order of 6.8 if it wasn’t a huge number.

Gila

WKR
That’s a bummer. I thought Peterson was going to be our best chance to offer it.

Does anyone know how much quantity would be needed for adg to do a custom run of brass? They do headstamped Sherman cartridges and a couple other smaller runs it seems. Maybe we could all pool together to make a minimum order of 6.8 if it wasn’t a huge number.
That’s a good idea. I don’t know how good ADG brass is, with Lapua 350-400 cases should last through about 2 barrels. I would think that the larger the order the better. Once they are tooled up they might just keep making it. The Grafs as well as Rockslide, could very well determine if Peterson will make the brass anytime soon. Took a little over a year for Peterson to deliver on 284 brass and that brass is very good.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to hijack the thread, but has anybody tried fire forming ADG 7SAUM brass in their 6.8W? I've been using 1shot factory ammo brass for the last couple of years with good results (Browning Nickel Brass). I've considered the 7SAUM route but haven't tried it yet.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
I had thought about resizing 7saum also but wasn’t sure what all it would take.

Gila, I think adg is considered as good as Peterson. I have a buddy who just got some for a rum, but don’t think he’s used any yet. It looks like Alex wheeler got adg to do a run of headstamped 7-6.5prcw brass for him, if Alex trusts it, I sure do.

Would be nice if Grafs or unknown munitions could spearhead Peterson or adg to do a run. Maybe someone has an in at one of those places🤷😉? But yeah, I don’t know if the min qty would be like 5,000 pieces or 50,000? I don’t have the funds to do either😂