Archery Elk Kit

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Uncompahgre will be warmer for sure in my opinion. The Kelvin Lite would probably be enough for early september but man I've seen snow fall and temps drop even early september that makes it miserable. It can be 60 degrees and comfortable but once that wind comes up it can suck. I'd personally go with the first lite jacket. To add to it also, the uncompahgre is a synthetic blend instead of down. If it gets wet it will hold up heat retention much much better than the kelvin will. Depending where your hunting that may be a concern.

I was under the impression that the Kelvin and the new Kelvin Lite both used PrimaLoft. To the best of my knowledge isn’t PrimaLoft a full synthetic or is some of it blended?

Also I am assuming you wouldn’t recommend the FL Cirrus UL Puffy? Just noticed these are on sale. But I would rather have a little to much warmth than not enough when the wind kicks up and the temps drop.

Thanks for all your help. Puffys aren’t something us treestand guys really understand.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was under the impression that the Kelvin and the new Kelvin Lite both used PrimaLoft. To the best of my knowledge isn’t PrimaLoft a full synthetic or is some of it blended?

Also I am assuming you wouldn’t recommend the FL Cirrus UL Puffy? Just noticed these are on sale. But I would rather have a little to much warmth than not enough when the wind kicks up and the temps drop.

Thanks for all your help. Puffys aren’t something us treestand guys really understand.

You’re correct on the PrimaLoft in the kelvins, my mistake. Must have been more groggy than I thought last night haha! It is a synthetic. I had the kelvin lite for a while a couple of years ago and it was great for summer into August but didn’t quite do it for me as fall rolled in. If your just going to have one I would recommend the models with more warmth. I definitely think you can get by with the lite, it will help but I don’t think it’ll make you as comfortable as you could be. I haven’t tried the Cirrus yet so I can’t comment much on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR

I’m from where you’re talking about, and most years for the first 2 weeks of archery you’d probably be okay with a cirrus, but I 100% agree with Jordan, you get a snow storm and you’ll want more insulation. Hunting Montana with down has always been okay for me, and I wouldn’t rule it out if weight is a concern - and yes, both the Sitka pieces are primaloft. I think a kelvin light is closer to 90g of insulation vs 60 in the cirrus, and I know something with a hood will wear warmer, but doubt there’s a huge difference between the two.

I make decisions like this (lighter vs heavier puffy) the day of depending on trip duration and weather forecast. If you’re buying 1 jacket I’d lean towards the uncompahgre like recommended above. I think the kelvin light would end up working out well a lot of the time as well. They fit VERY differently so that’s something to consider as well.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
You’re correct on the PrimaLoft in the kelvins, my mistake. Must have been more groggy than I thought last night haha! It is a synthetic. I had the kelvin lite for a while a couple of years ago and it was great for summer into August but didn’t quite do it for me as fall rolled in. If your just going to have one I would recommend the models with more warmth. I definitely think you can get by with the lite, it will help but I don’t think it’ll make you as comfortable as you could be. I haven’t tried the Cirrus yet so I can’t comment much on that one.

We all get those groggy feels. I have been spending a ton of time in a tree the past week and I can feel it. Thanks for all the input and help. I will either be going with a regular Kelvin or Uncompahgre. Just depends on which one fits better.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I’m from where you’re talking about, and most years for the first 2 weeks of archery you’d probably be okay with a cirrus, but I 100% agree with Jordan, you get a snow storm and you’ll want more insulation. Hunting Montana with down has always been okay for me, and I wouldn’t rule it out if weight is a concern - and yes, both the Sitka pieces are primaloft. I think a kelvin light is closer to 90g of insulation vs 60 in the cirrus, and I know something with a hood will wear warmer, but doubt there’s a huge difference between the two.

I make decisions like this (lighter vs heavier puffy) the day of depending on trip duration and weather forecast. If you’re buying 1 jacket I’d lean towards the uncompahgre like recommended above. I think the kelvin light would end up working out well a lot of the time as well. They fit VERY differently so that’s something to consider as well.

Great food for thought. Being from the Midwest I really have no reason to own puffys other than late season coyote hunting and going west. I think like you said if I am only wanting to invest in one heavier is better. Might as well buy something I can use into the late season out there as well. The heavier one can do both so thats probably the best route.

tonedover

FNG
if you want sitka look at the equinox hoody instead of the fanatic - that thing is better than the fanatic hoody in my opinion as its the pattern you like, but has a full zip, and has a heavier interior, has thumb holes and the integrated mask

I'm running merino underlayer, First Lite Sawtooth hoodie and Cirrus Puffy with hardshell in bag. If you are ready to get in close, you want to lose the puffy and shell and go in on fleece or wool.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
if you want sitka look at the equinox hoody instead of the fanatic - that thing is better than the fanatic hoody in my opinion as its the pattern you like, but has a full zip, and has a heavier interior, has thumb holes and the integrated mask

I'm running merino underlayer, First Lite Sawtooth hoodie and Cirrus Puffy with hardshell in bag. If you are ready to get in close, you want to lose the puffy and shell and go in on fleece or wool.

The equinox hoody looks slick. I like the nylon face fabric for durability. The Elevated 2 pattern is awesome and I have some pieces in that but I don’t think using subalpine will put me at any disadvantage in a tree. I’m actually looking to just add the Apex hoody and either the Celsius Midi or Kelvin Lite and that should have me covered with my hard shell on the outside if temps really dip.

I get Sitka at a decent price and the durability makes the extra dollars seems less significant. FL is top shelf also and both support a lot of great organizations. Glad to have two top shelf companies to pick and choose from.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Ordered an Apex Hoody over the Fanatic and I was not impressed for the cost. I ended up sending it back and picking up a core heavyweight hoody. I felt like the wool blend of the apex would be far less durable than the full synthetic of the core series. I also think Sitka kind of missed it with this piece or maybe for me it just wasn’t worth the price. Some features I liked but overall it wasn’t something I loved.

After talking with a few people about what pieces to add some have suggested since I have the core mid and heavyweight to go with a jetstream jacket and call it done. For those of you that have a jetstream how do you like it? Would that system work while glassing in cold temps or will the Kelvin or Kelvin lite serve me better?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ordered an Apex Hoody over the Fanatic and I was not impressed for the cost. I ended up sending it back and picking up a core heavyweight hoody. I felt like the wool blend of the apex would be far less durable than the full synthetic of the core series. I also think Sitka kind of missed it with this piece or maybe for me it just wasn’t worth the price. Some features I liked but overall it wasn’t something I loved.

After talking with a few people about what pieces to add some have suggested since I have the core mid and heavyweight to go with a jetstream jacket and call it done. For those of you that have a jetstream how do you like it? Would that system work while glassing in cold temps or will the Kelvin or Kelvin lite serve me better?

I’ve been using the jetstream on and off all season, but I use a puffy jacket all season. I would highly highly recommend getting the kelvin hoody if your going to be stopped and glassing. The jetstream is good for certain things and other things it doesn’t matter that much for. Like I’m in Arizona right now and everything around here will rip the hell out of my heavyweight core but the jetstream shell is abrasion resistant in my mind and doesn’t give this prickly shit anything to grab a hold of. With the fleece mid layers you have I would go to the kelvin jacket. I can’t stress it enough actually. The jetstream and kelvin jackets aren’t even on the same level with warmth or what they’re intended to do.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using the jetstream on and off all season, but I use a puffy jacket all season. I would highly highly recommend getting the kelvin hoody if your going to be stopped and glassing. The jetstream is good for certain things and other things it doesn’t matter that much for. Like I’m in Arizona right now and everything around here will rip the hell out of my heavyweight core but the jetstream shell is abrasion resistant in my mind and doesn’t give this prickly shit anything to grab a hold of. With the fleece mid layers you have I would go to the kelvin jacket. I can’t stress it enough actually. The jetstream and kelvin jackets aren’t even on the same level with warmth or what they’re intended to do.

Thanks for all your help Jordan. I was leaning the way of the puffy but I think now am pretty set on it. I feel like it makes my system more veristile especially if I add something like a vest.

How does the Kelvin Lite fit as far as size. All my sitka is XL. My mid and heavyweight layer pretty well considering they are the same size. Will the XL Kelvin lite layer over those pieces pretty well when combined or will I need the XXL?

Thanks Again

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my experience with it it’s true to size. I’d stick with the XL.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for some suggestions on what you guys would consider adding or would want to have. Hunt will be September archery elk located in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem around 9-11k feet. I know most guys run a puffy and some stack mid layers and use a soft soft shell. I know I’m a piece or few short so here I am looking for suggestions.

Currently I am looking at

Exoficio Boxer
Smartwool Sock
Prana Stretch Zion
Sitka Core Midweight bottom (early mornings if needed)

Sitka Core Lightweight tee
Sitka Core Midweight zip tee

Beyond these pieces what would you add sans your rain gear, beanie, and gloves. I was thinking about a Sitka Finatic Hoody and maybe a puffy. Could I get away with just the puffy on top of what I have or maybe Finatic and a windstopper vest? Let me know what you think.

Alan

I would agree with the comments below. I would add the heavyweight hoody. It goes with me for every season and one of my favorite Sitka items to have. The only thing I would say is to add the Jetstream Jacket. It is a Gore Windstopper. It has a DWR finish and is the best jacket on the market in my opinion. It does have pit zips for ventilation if you do get hot. With good layers you can use it from archery season all the way to late season rifle. It is a very versatile jacket.

I'm wearing ex officio boxers right now at the office, but I wouldn't trust them on a multi day hunt. Grab a couple pair of FL or Kuiu merino options.

im with you on this. i like them for day hunts but i dont know how guys wear them on multiday hunts mine smell like balls rly quick.

I'm wearing ex officio boxers right now at the office, but I wouldn't trust them on a multi day hunt. Grab a couple pair of FL or Kuiu merino options.

Speaking from experience, Ex Officio compression shorts are great for multi-day backpacking hunts. Never had an issue with them and they are super comfortable. I did rotate them out to another pair after 3 or 4 days for cleanliness sake.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the help and input guys. I do have a ultra lite Mountain Hardware down puffy I could use vs buying the Kelvin lite. If I was wanting to run a down puffy I may need to upgrade to lite substantial rain gear. I have always used UL stuff that can be a little leaky.

Speaking from experience, Ex Officio compression shorts are great for multi-day backpacking hunts. Never had an issue with them and they are super comfortable. I did rotate them out to another pair after 3 or 4 days for cleanliness sake.

What boxers or compression shorts did you use? The Give N Go Boxer?

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for all the help. I have my system figured out and was able to pick up some extra Sitka pieces that will work great in the treestand as well. With all the stuff on sale it makes it hard not to buy it up. The quality of the product they produce is awesome and it really does work not to mention the durability is great.

Looking for some suggestions on what you guys would consider adding or would want to have. Hunt will be September archery elk located in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem around 9-11k feet. I know most guys run a puffy and some stack mid layers and use a soft soft shell. I know I’m a piece or few short so here I am looking for suggestions.

Currently I am looking at

Exoficio Boxer
Smartwool Sock
Prana Stretch Zion
Sitka Core Midweight bottom (early mornings if needed)

Sitka Core Lightweight tee
Sitka Core Midweight zip tee

Beyond these pieces what would you add sans your rain gear, beanie, and gloves. I was thinking about a Sitka Finatic Hoody and maybe a puffy. Could I get away with just the puffy on top of what I have or maybe Finatic and a windstopper vest? Let me know what you think.

Alan

Add grid fleece or fleece top(Firstlite or Sitka or kuiu)
And ultra light puffy like Mountainhardware ghost whisper

Thanks for all the help and input guys. I do have a ultra lite Mountain Hardware down puffy I could use vs buying the Kelvin lite. If I was wanting to run a down puffy I may need to upgrade to lite substantial rain gear. I have always used UL stuff that can be a little leaky.

What boxers or compression shorts did you use? The Give N Go Boxer?

Dang! Sorry for not getting back sooner.

I use Give-N-Go Sport Mesh 6'' Boxer Brief

Give N Go Sport mesh.....but they fit more like compression shorts than boxer briefs.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys

I added the Core Heavyweight Hoody and Lightweight Hoody, both pieces are nice and Mayer well. Figured the lightweight may bridge a gap or allow me to leave the midweight zip tee in the truck.

I’m probably going to pick up some Exofficio briefs and run them at work and see how they perform for me.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this back to the top for a little more input.

I have my clothing kit pretty well done. The last piece/two pieces I need to pick up are a puffy and possibly a lightweight vest/jacket. I’m looking into doing some spot and stalk spring black bear hunts in the future so versatility in these last two pieces are key. I’m thinking a vest/jacket will be nice as a extra layer or for brush busting and/or to have pockets on a stalk.

Im considering a combination of any two of the following. Jetstream Vest, Mountain Vest (no jacket as it is silly loud with rubbing of arms while walking) or something else if anyone has a idea. Then either Cirrus Puffy, Uncompaghre Puffy, or Kelvin Lite Hoody. Below is my refined kit for September Elk.

Core Lightweight SS
Core Lightweight Hoody
Core Heavy Weight Hoody
Vest (possibly)
Puffy (needed)
Rain Gear

I have a midweight Zip tee I can always add.

Bottom
Core Silkweight Boxer
Smartwool Sock
Core Midweight Bottom
Prana Stretch Zion
Rain Gear

In pack as extra
1 Silkweight Boxer
1 pair Smartwool socks
1 Core Lightweight SS Tee

How’s it look?