Archery Idaho panhandle

brew0066

FNG
Classified Approved
For various reasons I am returning to the Idaho pandhandle to hunt elk this year. I haven’t hunted there for 8+ years and when I did I didn’t hunt archery. I have hunted all over Idaho but people in the panhandle seem to be the most negative about the status of their elk populations. Are the wolves really that bad? Is it an access/hunter fitness level issue? Too many hunters? Too many nonres hunters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can get away from hunters and yes the wolves are that bad in certain drainages have many many options and you will find elk BUT if you hear no bugling likely wolves in the area.4CC92854-70FD-4AFA-96A3-4ECF80EC0B8F.jpeg3F565275-63FE-4925-8122-767D49B4C656.jpeg0478E014-6991-4299-B3C2-2DD56D835273.jpeg0478E014-6991-4299-B3C2-2DD56D835273.jpeg7BDE9982-B0C6-44AC-A486-FB59EA1B0450.png

OP
brew0066

brew0066

FNG
Classified Approved
You think it is worse up there than the selway? I’ve hunted the selway a few times and we’ve always done really well.

I think you will be surprised how much it has changed in 8 years. Every year it gets more crowded, especially in September. In fact, September there seems to be more people out than I used to encounter during October. I do not know what the cause is. Wolves have been around since I started hunting the Panhandle, but we always had lots of encounters with bulls. We had some bad winters. Maybe its a combo of all three. All I know is I am seeing less and less elk in historically good spots. I know they are still around, but finding them seems to be harder than it was, and I know the area much better than I did 10 years ago when I started hunting it.

The last couple years I have said I am washing my hands of the place and moving on to greener pastures, but I end up coming back. Last year might have put the nail in the coffin though. I have busted enough brush for my liking. Who am I kidding, I just cant quit this place! PM me if you want to chat about more specific areas of the Panhandle.

just to speak about unit 1, seems like up here there are too many people for how many limited access points there are into public land.

SoDaky

WKR
So hard to hear all this-so many fond memories from the 80s and 90s.
(except for my run in with loggers in an Avery bar)

Archery season this past year proved to have more hunters than rifle. 2 wolf packs in a 6 mile radius of what used to be the most phenomenal elk hunting turned into a lot of quiet holes.

winters, predation, and a huge influx of hunters have left north idaho with less and less opportunities.

just my observation

OP
brew0066

brew0066

FNG
Classified Approved
Interesting! I just wonder if it’s a panhandle issue or an Idaho issue? We hunted weiser 2 years ago, never have seen so many people smashed into one area... I’m excited to compare my experience in Lemhi, Sawtooth, Weiser, Selway and 44 to the panhandle!

I’m not sure, normally at the trailheads I hunt I might see 1 guy all year (I hunt all archery season)

this last year I spoke with 5 different guys. All were out of state hunters.

it may be that idaho was one of the last affordable places to hunt with historically great hunting? Who knows -

Terrapin

WKR
Too many people in N Idaho now. I’ve been here since the early 80’s and I’m disgusted. Between the wolves, new people and out of staters; it’s become very crowded and the animals are stressed. If you get back far enough, you’ll escape the hoards of people... unfortunately, the wolves had the same idea.

jmcd22

WKR
I cannot speak for the northern part of the state but down here we have seen everything happen that works against our ungulate herds. Wintering ground encroachment, lack of predator control, more hunters, more recreationalists, hard winters (16 & 18)...list goes on. I would imagine that isn't isolated to down here...

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Last year we saw a ton of people during archery along the Joe. Most of them were weekend warriors though and almost all were concentrated on the main roads along the river. We camped way up on a logging road towards the bottom of a big drainage. It was near a trail head but we didn't see anyone there besides a few locals that knew the spot. We got into plenty of elk, but as others have said, there were wolf issues to.

Had our best shot get blown out by a pack right before dark. Found an awesome little saddle that was holding elk on both sides. We had been closing in on a nice sounding herd bull that was being stubborn and refusing to leave his cows. There was a few satellite bulls trying to get in on the action too. We were so close but right before dark this alpha wolf went off below us and every animal we had been hearing went eerily quiet minus the pissed off herd bull. We backed out and damn near ran back to camp.

The coolest part was hearing the herd bull screaming like a maniac while the wolves were moving in on him. Just didn't give AF. Nature is awesome.

nidaho

FNG
I have shot lots of elk in the northern panhandle 17 in a row with my bow. I have not got one in two years. Haven’t had the bugling either. Lots of my spots are totally void of elk and deer. Most all our elk hang low next to and on the private ground. The wolves have decimated the moose elk and deer. The wolves pushed our elk down to private fields so fish and game thought they needed to kill the cows all off. It is ridiculous the amount of land owner tags and depredation tags they give out. Our cows are gone. Our elk are gone. You can still run into some elk but few and far between.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really thinking about hunting the panhandle this year just because it's a lot shorter drive than what I have been doing. I bear hunt it in the spring a lot so I'm hoping I can put some of that knowledge to use and hopefully find a herd of elk without a pack of wolves chasing them around.

jimmy33

WKR
I have shot a few bulls in the panhandle. I spend about 20 days a year in Unit 1, but shoot most of my elk in unit 2. There are several areas in unit 1 that hold elk in general but the wolves push them around and it can be tough to find them. I always go back because I absolutely love the country and solitude up there. Its more of an adventure hunt than a hunt that will end in success.

Huntnnw

WKR
Its all about location, there are units and areas in the panhandle that are not effected by wolves. I happen to live right next to one. I avg 15-20 different bulls per cam every summer, downfall is its rare to see a 6x6 and every few years you will find a 300-320 bull. I have taken my search to other units lately to hunt more mature bulls

KHNC

WKR
Well you wont have to worry about me ever setting foot in idaho for elk again. Especially in the panhandle area!! its terrible up there in my opinion.