Archery newb. Colorado OTC adventures

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on a great trip. You're right finding elk and having an opportunity is all you can ask for in Colorado and it does happen. Now you will likely go the next two years without seeing an elk and be surrounded by guys. Then your tune of Colorado OTC change.

Just got back from an archery OTC CO hunt. Saw 3 guys on day one, zero the rest of week. Had two encounters, buddy took a cow. Could of shot a nice bull with some more patience...😀. This was our 10th year of OTC hunting with a 60% success rate now. Sure times have changed but we put in the work to make it happen. Plenty of open OTC units with no people. No, they will not be free of blowdown, boulder fields, or oak brush. Unlikely to be a quarter mile from the truck or a comfy hotel. To say OTC units have run their course, I have to call bullshit.

Hnthrdr

WKR
lol im going back next year
You hope… several years “my” spots all of a sudden went from me, and maybe one other camp to 35+ hunters… guess who left? You got it the elk.

But like a lot of things you don’t believe it or these examples are all tall tales, until it happens to you. That year I left, drove 2 more hours and killed a bull in a different unit… well that unit is draw now, which sucks, just don’t think you have a reliable spot in otc, you need about 8-10 good spots spread out over different units

Last edited:
These threads and posts are very interesting to me, as a "wanabee elk hunter" (so far my limited experience concerning elk is 2 hunting trips in Colorado in September 2022 and this year).
As in many other matters in life, people have different opinions.
But I enjoy reading and learning as much as I can, until next September ...

custis

FNG
Late 1970s, Early 80s Colorado OTC was a wonderful adventure that made it possible to get into elk regularly. By 1999 it as a different story and the last 5 years it’s been waaaay more frustrating than rewarding.

Gerbdog

WKR
I've just come to accept there will be hunting pressure. I dont pull up to a parking area / hike into a camping area hoping to see no one ... that just starts the trip off with disappointment... i go in with the attitude that i'm just gonna out hunt everyone else and burn more boot leather. At least it leaves some control with me on what i do with my day, i cant help the hunting pressure, but i can work around it.

wardl_3

Lil-Rokslider
OP… 👍🏻👍🏻 i like hearing the good from otc hunters!!! i am a 5yr nr otc archery CO hunter, cant say a bad word about the opportunities!! Always luck involved in everyday life, skills play a huge part to. Wish i would have started chasing elk many yrs earlier… was hung up on iowa deer at home 🤦🏼‍♂️

I think otc elk in Colorado is all about expectations. If you watch YouTube, see guys getting into elk - big elk everyday - and think that’s going to be your experience, then your expectations are likely off. But if you are willing to grind, and put in the work to find your own spots, year after year, you’re likely to get into elk and have legitimate chances.

Gone are the days (those of us who have been hunting for 20+ seasons in Colorado) where you could have those kinds of experiences every time. Now, you get them 1x a season or a few times if you’re lucky. It’s just plain harder than it was.

But there is still a ton of elk.

So - give yourself a gut check - do I enjoy grinding? Up early, to bed late, and miles on my boots? Do I have the time to give it a week in the woods. Am I ready to scout and see this as a longterm learning curve. If so, it’s probably worth it for you.

If not, save up preference points for the good hunts and put in across multiple states in more of the lottery opportunities. Or shell out the cash for an outfitter to get you in proven areas.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
I'm torn on CO OTC. I cut my teeth in CO, and made countless trips over about 13 years without letting a SINGLE arrow go. I then burned my points, got in to a draw unit, had my best hunt ever and killed my first bull. Over the years, we had lots of decent hunts, always found elk and got hopelessly addicted. I have since quit CO after I burned my points, and have found another state with 1000% better opportunity. Hindsight though...we have learned so much now that I feel we could go back to CO and kill elk. The hunting pressure is the deal breaker for me. We were stuck hunting the same areas for years because the thought of re-learning a new area was daunting. And I lost a lot of my best years of hunting because of that. If the hunt isn't what you want...do yourself a favor and go find it somewhere else! Lots of opportunities in lots of states across the west.

I'm torn on CO OTC. I cut my teeth in CO, and made countless trips over about 13 years without letting a SINGLE arrow go. I then burned my points, got in to a draw unit, had my best hunt ever and killed my first bull. Over the years, we had lots of decent hunts, always found elk and got hopelessly addicted. I have since quit CO after I burned my points, and have found another state with 1000% better opportunity. Hindsight though...we have learned so much now that I feel we could go back to CO and kill elk. The hunting pressure is the deal breaker for me. We were stuck hunting the same areas for years because the thought of re-learning a new area was daunting. And I lost a lot of my best years of hunting because of that. If the hunt isn't what you want...do yourself a favor and go find it somewhere else! Lots of opportunities in lots of states across the west.

This is great advice and a typical story. So smart.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Dozens of miles and thousands of vertical feet and never let an arrow go. One silent elk in bow range. That’s exactly why we say OTC has run its course. Exciting for a first timer but not for what it used to be. Not anything for me to get excited about the other 11 months of the year.

Nailed it.

as someone wanting to hunt archery OTC colorado next year for my first ever elk hunt, this thread is a combination of both depression and also determination. want to maximize my chances for encounters, but also don't mind grinding and working my ass off. wondering if i should just spend the money to apply for tags in other states

tdhanses

WKR
as someone wanting to hunt archery OTC colorado next year for my first ever elk hunt, this thread is a combination of both depression and also determination. want to maximize my chances for encounters, but also don't mind grinding and working my ass off. wondering if i should just spend the money to apply for tags in other states
If you don’t live in CO and have never stepped foot in the area you plan to hunt your better off not getting a tag and just exploring getting to know an area, odds are you won’t see elk. I hear it every year even in the area I hunt yet I see elk almost daily usually, doesn’t mean they are huntable and I’m lucky to get one or two opportunities.

I think many new hunters don’t fully understand seeing elk vs getting a shot op is way different.

If you don’t live in CO and have never stepped foot in the area you plan to hunt your better off not getting a tag and just exploring getting to know an area, odds are you won’t see elk. I hear it every year even in the area I hunt yet I see elk almost daily usually, doesn’t mean they are huntable and I’m lucky to get one or two opportunities.

I think many new hunters don’t fully understand seeing elk vs getting a shot op is way different.
I guess that makes sense but on the off chance we get lucky and do have an encounter it would really chap my ass to not have a tag if I can afford it

tdhanses

WKR
I guess that makes sense but on the off chance we get lucky and do have an encounter it would really chap my ass to not have a tag if I can afford it
Even if you do have a chance I can guarantee you the chance you even release an arrow is about .0001%, if most new hunters actually knew the odds against them, most would drop the thinking like you just stated and they would save themselves cash. If your good on avg it will take 4-5yrs to get to know an area and understand truly how big the country is and release an arrow. If you do decide to hunt every year, your first otc elk you take home will probably cost you $5-$10k.

This is just reality.

And yes everyone wants to think they’ll fall into the .000000000000128473% that kills an elk their first trip out.

Now if your ok dropping $800 a year on a piece of paper to carry your bow in the woods, by all means go for it but don’t be upset that you didn’t see a single elk.

And I’m not a resident, I’ve just hunted CO for many years with very very few opportunities even though I have see a ton of elk and I had the exact same experience as the op my first year hunting CO yet I got busted drawing my bow.

My experience hunting decent draw units that take 3+pts has been way different then otc units. The 0pt units are pretty much the same as otc.

Last edited:
Even if you do have a chance I can guarantee you the chance you even release an arrow is about .0001%, if most new hunters actually knew the odds against them, most would drop the thinking like you just stated and they would save themselves cash. If your good on avg it will take 4-5yrs to get to know an area and understand truly how big the country is and release an arrow. If you do decide to hunt every year, your first otc elk you take home will probably cost you $5-$10k.

This is just reality.

And yes everyone wants to think they’ll fall into the .000000000000128473% that kills an elk their first trip out.

Now if your ok dropping $800 a year on a piece of paper to carry your bow in the woods, by all means go for it but don’t be upset that you didn’t see a single elk.

And I’m not a resident, I’ve just hunted CO for many years with very very few opportunities even though I have see a ton of elk and I had the exact same experience as the op my first year hunting CO yet I got busted drawing my bow.

My experience hunting decent draw units that take 3+pts has been way different then otc units. The 0pt units are pretty much the same as otc.
So basically you would advise saving money on tags, go out during the rut to figure out how it all works, instead of tags invest in points so after a few years I can apply for a better unit and then have the experience to actually have a shot at filling a tag

tdhanses

WKR
So basically you would advise saving money on tags, go out during the rut to figure out how it all works, instead of tags invest in points so after a few years I can apply for a better unit and then have the experience to actually have a shot at filling a tag
Exactly, you’ll be way ahead. Maybe even pick a unit that takes 2-3pts to draw and figure that unit out, your success op will drasticly increase.

Otc and 0pt units are just atm’s.

And leave your calls at home, you’ll scare more elk then you pull in the first few years, practice them for a few years before using them.

Exactly, you’ll be way ahead. Maybe even pick a unit that takes 2-3pts to draw and figure that unit out, your success op will drasticly increase.

Otc and 0pt units are just atm’s.

And leave your calls at home, you’ll scare more elk then you pull in the first few years, practice them for a few years before using them.
Well that’s depressing

wardl_3

Lil-Rokslider
Well that’s depressing
Spend the $, hunt the elk. 5yrs of it and 4 elk shot between the 2 of us(3bulls, 1 cow). 1st year out seen as many or more elk as any of the past 4yrs, new to elk and western hunting at the time and very little knowledge of any of the entire process. Froze some nites, packed entirely way to much on my back but loved it, hooked!!

Spend the $, hunt the elk. 5yrs of it and 4 elk shot between the 2 of us(3bulls, 1 cow). 1st year out seen as many or more elk as any of the past 4yrs, new to elk and western hunting at the time and very little knowledge of any of the entire process. Froze some nites, packed entirely way to much on my back but loved it, hooked!!
Nice. This was OTC archery?