Are Coues considered White Tailed deer on Rockslide?

That's all, just that question. I see forums for Whites, Mulies, Blacktails, but no Coues...just wondering.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
They seem to be universally regarded as a type of whitetail. Whether they are a true "sub-species" or maybe even the only true "sub-species" I can't say. I never know quite how to think about those distinctions. Where do you draw the line? Particularly where there is hybridization?

As I understand it, Coues deer are geographically isolated from other whitetail populations, and they are quire physically distinct, so maybe they are a sub-species.

I’ll put it this way: I have bagged BT and muley. Just need a WT. if I bagged a Coues, I’d consider that mission accomplished.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR

Are Coues considered White Tailed deer on Rockslide?​

Yes, why wouldn’t you? Until they create a dedicated Coues section where else would you put them? They are one of the 26 recognized sub species of whitetailed deer.
  • O. v. couesi (7)– Coues' white-tailed deer, Arizona white-tailed deer, or fantail deer
IMG_2698.jpeg
IMG_2699.jpeg

Last edited:
Until they create a dedicated Coues section
Many people are saying this needs to be done.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fe9e89a69-db2b-4dca-a61b-bfbd86586048_888x499.jpeg

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Theoretically yes. I’ve hunted whitetails in at least 10 states and 4 provinces…none of them have been anything close to my Arizona Coues experiences. Those little suckers are different.

OP
P

Are Coues considered White Tailed deer on Rockslide?​

Yes, why wouldn’t you? Until they create a dedicated Coues section where else would you put them? They are one of the 26 recognized sub species of whitetailed deer.
  • O. v. couesi (7)– Coues' white-tailed deer, Arizona white-tailed deer, or fantail deer
View attachment 668068
View attachment 668069
I asked if Rockslide considered them different as there is no separate page dedicated to them, all other N American deer have their own pages, thats it..

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I love hunting them in Sonora. I would go down ever winter if I could fit it in my schedule

Acharenio

FNG
Theoretically yes. I’ve hunted whitetails in at least 10 states and 4 provinces…none of them have been anything close to my Arizona Coues experiences. Those little suckers are different.
Agree, if you hunt eastern whitetails, hunting coues will change everything about hunting whitetails, there is a reason they call them grey ghost.

Agree, if you hunt eastern whitetails, hunting coues will change everything about hunting whitetails, there is a reason they call them grey ghost.
I've hunted eastern whitetails my whole life and I've also done a couple mule deer/elk hunts in Idaho (only got one mule deer). My AZ coues hunt was by far the most fun I've ever had hunting and definitely my favorite hunting environment as well. It's like hunting on another planet compared to Virginia.