Arizona OTC for Nonresident

I'd say for all intents and purposes we have become a draw state for deer.

I'm actually looking forward to the day when it actually does go to draw permit for achery deer in Arizona.

Sorry to hear that you haven't drawn an elk tag in quite a while. I've been lucky in that regard, in terms of Arizona bull elk tags the past 48 years.

R_burg

WKR
I'm actually looking forward to the day when it actually does go to draw permit for achery deer in Arizona.

Sorry to hear that you haven't drawn an elk tag in quite a while. I've been lucky in that regard, in terms of Arizona bull elk tags the past 48 years.

Not quite a while - I have never drawn one. But why would I - the odds are against me, and I havent gotten lucky. AZ does a terrible job of raping and pillaging non-residents to help us residents, vs the other western states. The spread between the cost of tags here vs the western states with much more habitat and therefore number of animals is totally out of whack. By my back of the napkin calculations NR's contribute more money to Montana's game and fish than residents do. I find that rich, given how highly Montanans think of themselves when it comes to their outdoor pursuits. AZ is nothing like that - yet we arguably have the biggest trophy mulies and elk there are, and we're the best place outside Mexico to hunt Coues. If it has to be this hard to draw, it has to be this hard to draw - but I want NR's paying more, like I am in WY and MT.

Hey, I was serious, that wasn't tongue in cheek. I am all ears. Why do we have it better than Alaskan residents?

Why do we have it better than Alaskan residents?

Alaska struggles weakly against federal takeover, corrupt state and federal so-called "subsistence" rulings, deplorable land use policies at the state level, a rapidly changing climate, dwindling wildlife resources, wholesale tourism, a constituency that is out of touch with ecological management of finite wildlife resources, and a ever-increasing human population whereas everyone (it seems) has a plane, a boat, a skiff, a snowmachine, an off-road vehicle, and a souped up four-wheel-drive. It's truly sad.

R_burg

WKR
Alaska struggles weakly against federal takeover, corrupt state and federal so-called "subsistence" rulings, deplorable land use policies at the state level, a rapidly changing climate, dwindling wildlife resources, wholesale tourism, a constituency that is out of touch with ecological management of finite wildlife resources, and a ever-increasing human population whereas everyone (it seems) has a plane, a boat, a skiff, a snowmachine, an off-road vehicle, and a souped up four-wheel-drive. It's truly sad.

I'm tracking - but do you guys up there have way less opportunity than 5 yrs ago? Legitimately curious.

There's less available area and an increased demand and consequently, there's even more loss of opportunity.

mooster

WKR
I'm tracking - but do you guys up there have way less opportunity than 5 yrs ago? Legitimately curious.
just look at the unscientific closure (conversion to favor locals) of the caribou areas above Kotzebue as one example.

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
Yeah as a resident I have hunted otc elk and would rather hunt a general any bull unit in Utah and even more so OTC Colorado. Most of the success on those hunts you see on social media are due to access to private $$ or serious scout time with luck luck luck. Again just my experience but it is worth trying if you have the time
Right on, We did a few a couple of years back. I was a joke. The agriculture they refered to was 5 acres of alfafa. right off of I40. Talked to a few ranch owners said they rarely get down to them. AZGFD also moved some boundries because there was Elk there. There was guy over by Camp verde supposedly charging $500, back then when they started it. Save your money and apply for a high percentage late hunt.