Arizona OTC for Nonresident

Can any sort of give me the run down on how the OTC tags work here in AZ for Elk. I just moved down here from Ohio, so sorting through the regs is kinda confusing for a basic Midwest hunter. Is there a limit on the tags sold, and are they still available? Can I buy online and if so where?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
OTC non permit tags for certain units where they want to eliminate the elk in certain areas from the elk outcompeting mule deer herds and agriculture areas. I believe these were some pretty low number animal units. Call the GF headquarters and ask them for specific dates and regulations. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Call the main number at G&F. Link HERE.

My experience with their CSRs has always been good and all I've talked with have always been helpful.

Good luck,

Eddie

Extremely tough hunts. Unless you’re a local or have local knowledge, its a crap shoot. Though you may get lucky. You can get a tag at any license dealer that has them, but not online.

The numbers of elk in each area are extremely low. Maps of the areas are on the G&F website. Since they are OTC tags, there is no limit to the number sold.

OP
RyanLightle
Extremely tough hunts. Unless you’re a local or have local knowledge, its a crap shoot. Though you may get lucky. You can get a tag at any license dealer that has them, but not online.

The numbers of elk in each area are extremely low. Maps of the areas are on the G&F website. Since they are OTC tags, there is no limit to the number sold.
I kinda figured they were crap shoot style hunts just by the crazy season dates. I'm not really worried about filling the tag honestly, even though that would be awesome as it would be a first for me haha. Moreso just something to get out and hunt here since Im not a res yet and missed the OTC deer tags

Ginner

FNG
Everything I have researched leads me to believe the OTC hunt should be called a lucky local tag. Very slim pickens

JBenz63

FNG
Yeah as a resident I have hunted otc elk and would rather hunt a general any bull unit in Utah and even more so OTC Colorado. Most of the success on those hunts you see on social media are due to access to private $$ or serious scout time with luck luck luck. Again just my experience but it is worth trying if you have the time

Drawing a tag may take a while. Hunt every chance you get. Including tough hunts where the odds are low. Ya can't kill em from the couch

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
There used to be a standalone pamphlet for the OTC elk units. Looks like it is now on page 26 of the elk/ antelope booklet. You might be able to find the unit descriptions from previous years. Almost year round hunts. Extremely low harvest success- like less than 1% I believe. believe Unlimited tags as well. First year I moved to AZ I was super interested in it as well. Little bit of research turned me off of the nearest OTC area, not sure I could of got the meat out of the desert before spoilage took place. Know a guy who did chase some cows around one of the OTC areas, but never filled the tag. So they are there.

I say go for it. Since you are new to the state and western hunting, it can be a great learning experience. Learn how to glass, navigate the country, e scout, earn your hiking legs/lungs. You are much much more likely to see deer and javelina than elk in those otc areas. Take the experience/knowledge you gain on the otc elk and use it on deer once you are a resident.

R_burg

WKR
Those OTC elk hunts suck. Just start accumulating points and wait a bunch of years to hunt like the rest of us residents. You picked the wrong western state for resident hunting opportunities.

You picked the wrong western state for resident hunting opportunities.

I disagree, but I live in Alaska and so my perspective might be skewed a bit, but I firmly believe that Arizona offers its residents fantastic hunting opportunities, compared to places like say, Alaska.

I disagree, but I live in Alaska and so my perspective might be skewed a bit, but I firmly believe that Arizona offers its residents fantastic hunting opportunities, compared to places like say, Alaska.
Here are some "not go great" parts of being a resident in AZ:
* Can wait a decade or more while putting in for Goulds turkey every spring and buying a BP every fall before drawing a tag.
* Can go a lifetime and never draw a tag for bison.
* Can go a lifetime and never draw a tag for desert bighorn sheep.
* Can go a lifetime and never draw a tag for Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep.
* Can go decades and never hunt elk during the rut with a rifle.
* Easy to draw deer tags are largely a thing of the past.

Here are some of the "better" parts of being a resident in AZ:
* Relatively short drive to the reservations to hunt world class bull elk, mule deer, Coues whitetail, black bear, etc.
* Decent dove season.
* Decent quail season.
* Decent waterfowl season but massively low volumes compared to the rest of the US.
* Easy to draw spring javelina (pending Spring 2024).
* Mountain lion is OTC but has strict quotas.
* Black bear is OTC but has strict quotas.
* Potential for large mule deer everywhere.
* Potential for large Coues whitetail everywhere.
* Multiple fur bear species to hunt including the AZ skunk slam.

Change the weapon, trophy potential, season, volume of applicants, etc. and the odds and subsequent draw time can change.

Here are some "not go great" parts of being a resident in AZ:
* Can wait a decade or more while putting in for Goulds turkey every spring and buying a BP every fall before drawing a tag.
* Can go a lifetime and never draw a tag for bison.
* Can go a lifetime and never draw a tag for desert bighorn sheep.
* Can go a lifetime and never draw a tag for Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep.
* Can go decades and never hunt elk during the rut with a rifle.
* Easy to draw deer tags are largely a thing of the past.

Here are some of the "better" parts of being a resident in AZ:
* Relatively short drive to the reservations to hunt world class bull elk, mule deer, Coues whitetail, black bear, etc.
* Decent dove season.
* Decent quail season.
* Decent waterfowl season but massively low volumes compared to the rest of the US.
* Easy to draw spring javelina (pending Spring 2024).
* Mountain lion is OTC but has strict quotas.
* Black bear is OTC but has strict quotas.
* Potential for large mule deer everywhere.
* Potential for large Coues whitetail everywhere.
* Multiple fur bear species to hunt including the AZ skunk slam.

Change the weapon, trophy potential, season, volume of applicants, etc. and the odds and subsequent draw time can change.

Allocating consumptive use opportunity via draw permitting is the saving grace for Western big game in this current age.

Yes, compared to places like Alaska and probably a couple dozen others, Arizona offers outstanding hunting opportunities to its residents.

OP
RyanLightle
Those OTC elk hunts suck. Just start accumulating points and wait a bunch of years to hunt like the rest of us residents. You picked the wrong western state for resident hunting opportunities.
I wish I had a choice on the move, but some circumstances are outta our control. Hopefully its a short stay and I can move up to Montana or Colorado.

R_burg

WKR
Valid point but that was the initial message you conveyed (based upon my interpretation).
Exactly - a rational person wouldn't disagree with this. But that wasn't portrayed as his point.

BTW - Fair list, but I'd say for all intents and purposes we have become a draw state for deer. And I can't even hunt my preferred unit for Javelina anymore, it now takes points.

I still haven't hunted elk in AZ, and I've lived here a decade.

Yes, compared to places like Alaska and probably a couple dozen others, Arizona offers outstanding hunting opportunities to its residents.

Do tell, I'm all ears.