Aussie keen on an elk hunt

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
G'day guys,
As stated above I'm keen to come for a hunt in the states. It's been something on the cards for a while, I went to uni with a guy from bozeman who became one of my best mates. He's making the trek all the way to aus next year for my wedding so I figure I need to return the favour the year after and get over to montana.

Anywho, I'm looking at making a trip of it and doing a diy hunt for elk and mule deer in montana and maybe sneaking into Wyoming for a antelope. Planning on doing it all over the counter tags and public land. My by then wife will be coming and my compromise is to go to new York afterwards (she's a sex and the city fan) so gotta save some coin for that so cutting costs on an outfitter suits me pretty fine.

What I'm hoping someone can help me with is I'm thinking about hiring a pack horse and riding horse to get right into some good elk country out of the way. Just not sure if that's possible? I've found some stuff in Wyoming that does it but none in montana so just wondering if maybe it's not legal there? If it is though I'd love if anyone can give me some contact details.

If anyone else is feeling generous with any other information that would help if really appreciate it.

Thank you all,

Jp

AZ Vince

WKR
Look at Wyoming for deer, elk, and antelope as well as Montana for deer and elk. Also look at Idaho.

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
My initial plan was to build up PP for hunting in Wyoming, I liked the idea of G or H unit for muley and had a few in mind for elk and antelope but saving for the wedding is just don't have the money to put aside to build them. From the little research I've done it just heard that the OTC tag areas for muley and elk in WY aren't that flash.

I do hunt archery but I was planning on going rifle, although the fact that we are doing touristy stuff I probably won't take a weapon at all and I'll have to just borrow stuff. My mate isn't really much of a hunter is all so I'll have to suss out a weapon whatever I use.

Are there any real advantages going bow season over rifle season?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Elk are rutting typically during archery season. Weather is also nicer earlier for said tourist activities. You'll need Wyoming preference points this year to ensure you can draw general. Montana tags are easier to obtain.