Backpacking Carry Options For a .44 Revolver

Netherman

WKR
So I have decided to carry a lightweight .44 for bear protection on my upcoming archery elk hunt in Montana. I'm leaning towards a S&W 329pd but want to shoot it and a Taurus 333 before making the purchase. I looked at Rugers and other heavier options but for a gun that I hope to only ever shoot at the range the weight savings outweighed the negatives.

Now I am trying to figure out how to carry the thing and keep it accessible. From my research here and other hunting forums the consensus is either a chest holster or paddle holster. I like the idea of the chest holster but am concerned about how it would ride with an AGC bino harness and an exo pack. The paddle seems like it would be more out of the way but would require the occasional swapping when taking the pack off. I'd like to hear your experience with either of the two mentioned guns and what holsters you guys use.

I'm trying to make this a "buy once, cry once" kind of purchase and want to prevent double crying as most of the recommended holsters are ~$100.

Nick

kicker338

WKR
Not going to try to tell you what to get, just what I have and why. I have a glock 10mm. it's not a 44 but pretty darn close. I got it mainly because of the lighter wt. Revolvers by design are heavy and limited capacity. 6 shells or less. I use the smaller capacity magazine for my glock and still gives me 10 rounds. I use a cheapy nylon holster that I have attached to my back back belt. Only use the glock when bow hunting, With rifle hunting it's not needed.

FreeRange

WKR
Is the Taurus you're looking at the 444? Not sure what the 333 is. The 444 being a lightweight short barreled 6 shot revolver. I have a tracker SS 5 shot with a ported barrel thats a bit longer than the 444. It is surprisingly easy to shoot, I think the porting helps. The 444 does not have that feature.

If memory serves correct when I bought my Tracker they had lightweight alloy version of the Tracker available, that may be worth looking into.

If you're going to be carrying it, either way buy once cry once and getting an alloy gun is very, very worth it. I've never carried while hunting or with a bino harness so can't help you there but always chest carried when I felt the need when I lived in MT. After my first sketchy griz encounter I went out that day and bought the Tracker, have never needed it.

Opah

WKR
I carried a Colt Python 357 in my youth, wore a midthigh westeren holster. kept the gun below the pack, easily reached, stays on when pack comes off and if you like 30 or so extra round on the belt. It was and still is very comfortable, I wear them in camp now a days

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Is the Taurus you're looking at the 444? Not sure what the 333 is. The 444 being a lightweight short barreled 6 shot revolver. I have a tracker SS 5 shot with a ported barrel thats a bit longer than the 444. It is surprisingly easy to shoot, I think the porting helps. The 444 does not have that feature.

If memory serves correct when I bought my Tracker they had lightweight alloy version of the Tracker available, that may be worth looking into.

If you're going to be carrying it, either way buy once cry once and getting an alloy gun is very, very worth it. I've never carried while hunting or with a bino harness so can't help you there but always chest carried when I felt the need when I lived in MT. After my first sketchy griz encounter I went out that day and bought the Tracker, have never needed it.

Yup, 444 is what I was looking at. I'll have to look into the alloy tracker. I was leaning towards the S&W due to the longer barrel so the tracker might be more apples to apples.

Nick

I was looking at a Taurus 45, light semi, but then was told there was a class action law suit out on the model. Now I'm looking for another. Most of these are just plain heavy. I was also told no grizzlies in Col area I am eying and that my 9mm should be good.
But I'm not done visiting this yet.

Beendare

WKR
Good choice, IMO

My advice; Get what you can shoot fast and accurately...and set it up for a lightning fast encounter.

That 329PD is what I would get if buying now.....I have had a SW 629 classic for decades ...so no use changing just to shave weight. I don't think capacity of a revolver is going to hinder you.....I think I've read every bear attack in the last century and they all have a common factor; It happens fast. Getting 6 shots off is going to be next to impossible. in fact, most are one or two....so you want as well placed shots as you can and with enough horsepower to do some damage. Hardcast ammo with a wide meplat is the only way to go for the big grizz bears.

Guys complain about the recoil of the 329....just like some guys hate Glocks. Run a pile of ammo down the tube and you will begin to love it. Truth be told, I hated that .44 for many years....with maybe 2 boxes of ammo through it in 1/2 a decade. Once I took it out regularly and ran a 1/2 a case of ammo through it...its a tack driver [same with Glocks, BTW] Now its true, if you don't shoot or dryfire much, the semi autos are going to be easier and softer shooting.

Try this, For the next month, don't watch a sporting event on TV with that pistol there and practice dryfiring; focus on the front sight and make sure it doesn't move on the trigger pull. If you develop a flinch with that beast....on live rd shooting, put a snap cap in a spin the chamber...that will show you what you are doing. [my wife gave me grief for awhile...but now its normal to have a pistol on the coffee table- grin]

Holster wise, I modified a holster to fit on my McHale pack belt as that is the position I practice from with multiple handguns...it feels most natural and with practice I just instinctively grab for it there. The holster has to be tight with little movement when you draw [pretty important!] .....even on chest rigs ............which can make them uncomfortable. Whatever you choose for location......practice until its super fast and instinctive.
holster re.jpg

If you get that 329pd, remove the hammer lock...and make sure the bullets are crimped well. Best of luck....

wyosteve

WKR
I know this isn't what you asked, but my .02 is: don't bother with a handgun. Get pepper spray and carry it in one hand when you're in country where you might encounter a bear at less than 50 yds. Most encounters are close range and you'll likely not be able to get the handgun and fire with any accuracy. Case in point, an acquaintance of mine from northeast Wyo. was mauled about 10 yrs. ago. He heard the bear at 15 ft., saw her at 8 ft. and then she got him.

Can't help with which caliber is best....but I just received my Kenai Chest Holster (for use with my G21) and it feels fine under my AGC Bino Harness. Been wearing it around the house all day (yes, wife thinks I'm crazy) and have no complaints so far. Planning to Sling a few arrows later this evening but can't see and issue coming up so far.

Btw, used a Serpa Strike plate Holster on my Kifaru pack belt last year and it worked fine. Just hated leaving my pistol on my pack When I took it off. Figured this chest rig would keep me covered whether I was wearing my pack or taking care of some "natural business".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
I was looking at a Taurus 45, light semi, but then was told there was a class action law suit out on the model. Now I'm looking for another. Most of these are just plain heavy. I was also told no grizzlies in Col area I am eying and that my 9mm should be good.
But I'm not done visiting this yet.

Griz in Colo??
Not since 1979 in the San Juans near Platoro.
I've carried a handgun for one day on a week long hunt then left that boat anchor in camp.
I hunt Wyoming but not the northwest part. I'd go bear spray if I was in the griz neighborhood

Steve

FNG
I would stay away from Taurus, as they are known for their cylinders blowing up in your hand. Go on Youtube or do a Google search of it and you will see several cases of it happening. It actually happened to my wife's supervisor, 2 pins and 3 surgeries later and her hand is still half crippled. Their cylinders get out of time and the shell isn't properly aligned with the forcing cone causing it to blow up in your hand.

That being said, I would be lying if I said I wasn't partial to S&W revolvers. My choice for the back country is the model 657 with a 2 5/8" barrel in a leather form fitted holster on my pack belt.

The best I've tried for my 329pd so far is the Bianchi um84r. I don't love it, but it gets the job done. It fits snugly on the molle on my pack belt. I removed the top flap and replaced it with a thumb snap for quicker draw. IME the drawbacks are the holster isn't specifically made for the 329pd so it's a little small and the gun has to be stuffed in there. Oddly, the size doesn't affect the draw, but it's a pita to reholster while wearing my pack. Other than that it's pretty good.

I've heard lots of good things about Bladetech tek-lok holsters for revolvers too. I didn't try one because it was confusing on their website how to attach them to molle webbing, but I'm sure it can't be that hard.

I'm hoping JC custom kydex finds a 329pd mold and starts making holsters because those look solid too...just none available for my gun.

Beendare gave great advise about quick access and having whatever holster you choose move as little as possible during draw. Stuff goes down stupid fast with bears.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I will tell you my story. I carry a 329 on my right hip and a can of spray on my left side. I was charged by a sow grizzly with 3 yearling cubs in 2015. She was coming from my left and I had about 6-7 seconds to draw before she nailed me. I was able to get off 5 shots with her on me. She let go quickly and we parted ways. My lesson - there was little time to react and a big heavy bullet got her attention quickly. I think it saved my life.

Weekender

WKR
IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

Custom kydek holster made to fit my 329pd & pack belt. They made a low profile mount I didn't want to feel like I had to adjust my arm swing while walking. It's also molded so it will accept quick disconnect clip with adjustable positions. Pretty much can wear it how I like which works well for me.

Last edited:
I carry my 329pd in a Diamond D Guide Chest Holster. I move it a bit left of center and a bit lower so that it does not interfere with my bino chest harness. I like this setup because it is the same with or without my pack.

Also, if you are worried about the recoil of the 329pd, get it ported by Magna port. I am considering having mine done after reading up on several that have had it done.

-dan

The beauty of an EXO pack is you can just put a regular uncle mikes hip holster right on the belt. At least that is what I do with my K2 3500.

charvey9

WKR
I use a blade tech with teklok for my S&W 329PD. Attaches to any belt or molle webbing. Easy on and off so you can swap from pack to belt if there is ever the need, and has adjustable cant. I wear mine cross draw on my left hip belt, which I think is actually quicker from a normal walking position than reaching back on my right hip.

Don't worry about the recoil. My 130lb wife shoots it, and I practice one handed at the range (so I can shoot charging grizzly's without having to drop my bow...lol). Yes, it bucks. Big deal.

Last edited:
OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Can't help with which caliber is best....but I just received my Kenai Chest Holster (for use with my G21) and it feels fine under my AGC Bino Harness. Been wearing it around the house all day (yes, wife thinks I'm crazy) and have no complaints so far. Planning to Sling a few arrows later this evening but can't see and issue coming up so far.

Btw, used a Serpa Strike plate Holster on my Kifaru pack belt last year and it worked fine. Just hated leaving my pistol on my pack When I took it off. Figured this chest rig would keep me covered whether I was wearing my pack or taking care of some "natural business".

That's the direction I am leaning. I just am worried that I'll spend $150 on the Keani or equivalent and end up finding it too cumbersome. There doesn't seem to be much of a used market for the chest holsters so they must not be terrible...

Nick