Backpacking Carry Options For a .44 Revolver

Randle

WKR
Bill when you say under the AGC, is that under neath the pouch or below it?

Randle

WKR
Got them thanks, that doesnt look too bulky. I have the KISS model and have been thinking of running pistol below.

rbljack

WKR
If you go with the 44 mag revolver, I would recommend the Diamond D holster, specifically the guides choice chest rig. My bucket list includes some Alaska hunting and fishing at some point in my life, so I bought a 454 Taurus for a price I couldn't pass up. Then I researched holsters, and found/bought that one. Its a high quality holster for sure. I have only carried my gun using that holster a few times, and yes it is quite heavy for a backcountry trip. Now having said all that, I am now on the hunt for a glock 10mm at a decent price. Once I have it, I plan on getting a holster (probably kydex) that would mount to my hip belt of my backpack set up. 10mm would be carried for now (lower 48 hunting where there are no griz), and the 454 for areas where there is a larger danger of an encounter with griz/Mr. Brown. Hopefully someday I will find myself salmon fishing (or hunting) in Alaska and have a need to carry my 454...LOL.

One negative to the chest holster is might not work now that I have an Alaskan Guide Creations bino harness, now that you mentioned it...LOL. I may have to dig both set ups out and see if they would work together. The chest rig holster can be moved off center to a point, but not sure if they could be worn simultaneously and still be functional. Glad this came up....because its something I will have to look into myself to see. Im BRAND new to the AGC bino harness. I have seen lots of guys with them and thought they would be very bulky (worse than the chest rig holster), but I have committed to trying one (the AGC bino harness) this year to see how I like running it.

Last edited:
The beauty of an EXO pack is you can just put a regular uncle mikes hip holster right on the belt. At least that is what I do with my K2 3500.

How do you keep that webbing tight enough to keep the holster (contents)from flopping around?I like my Exo pack but I cannot keep that webbing tight on either side

Beendare

WKR
How do you keep that webbing tight enough to keep the holster (contents)from flopping around?I like my Exo pack but I cannot keep that webbing tight on either side

Good point. Its Holster 101.....the holster needs to be mounted fairly rigid so your pistol comes out without it moving. Its the reason the old gunslingers used a cord tied around their thigh.

I had to customize a holster to fit over my 6"+ wide pack belt.....everything else I tried was flopping a bit.

Good point. Its Holster 101.....the holster needs to be mounted fairly rigid so your pistol comes out without it moving. Its the reason the old gunslingers used a cord tied around their thigh.

I had to customize a holster to fit over my 6"+ wide pack belt.....everything else I tried was flopping a bit.

I get that,my issue is that the webbing loosens up with just a small pouch on one side and a small ammo pouch on the other.Seems like the weight of a revolver would only make it worse

I get that,my issue is that the webbing loosens up with just a small pouch on one side and a small ammo pouch on the other.Seems like the weight of a revolver would only make it worse

Do you have an older Gen? They updated the 2016 belt. It has been perfect for me. Never loosens a bit. I actually don't think I adjusted it once in 20 days of brush busting this fall.

Beendare

WKR

I can't picture what you are taking about.....the webbing used on my action pistol type belt or like the LEO's use is 1 1/2"-2" wide and reinforced with a fiberglass or steel liner so its stiff just for that reason to keep the holster from moving. If you have lightweight webbing...can you reinforce it with a backing?

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
I carry my 329pd in a Diamond D Guide Chest Holster. I move it a bit left of center and a bit lower so that it does not interfere with my bino chest harness. I like this setup because it is the same with or without my pack.

-dan

This is exactly how I carry my Ruger and it works great. I used to carry on my pack belt, but I like this better. I like having the gun on me, not 5 feet away on the pack that I just took off, and your gun stays out of the dirt/snow when you take your pack off.

Smith and Wesson 69 in a Kenai!
991790061b0b2e0ab3a5623dd038ff51.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JPD350

WKR
I use the Diamond D for my 329, it works fairly well below my FHF bino case as well.

Attachments

• Alaska Moose Hunt 2014 217 (2).jpg
    Alaska Moose Hunt 2014 217 (2).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 106
I have a Taurus titanium 45 revolver. Didn't have the money to buy a high dollar job, ended up with a behind the belt concealed carry holster. I am right handed so I bought a left handed one for 20$ and clip it on the right side of my hip belt. Real easy and quick to draw, only down fall is while taking the pack on and off keep notice of it sometimes it will fall out (working on a sort of latch for that problem). When hunting without the pack on I just clip it to my belt or inside my belt.

Cramer

FNG
I just carry my N frame at the appendix position on my pack belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Just remember a bear is able to do 30 mph., on a charge it's 44' a second.....to put into perspective, what ever you decide, accessible, fast, and familiar is paramount. Had a black sow charge once, no sidearm, (bowhunting in ca.).. she flat covered some ground in a few seconds, and turned at the last second, damn near had a laundry bill.
Mike

mntnguide

WKR
I spent many days with a heavy .44 Ruger Redhawk revolver through my years guiding in NW WY...and now that i hunt for myself here, i still carry it daily. I have a very simple custom made leather shoulder holster. The revolver sits on my left side, is a one snap instant draw with my right and only has one very small strap system that goes around my other shoulder. Very light and stays out of the way of everything. I have backpacked with heavy loads, rode horses for days etc etc with it on and it never bothers me. I also use an AGC pack and it is not in the way at all. The gun sits basically right in the hole under my armpit when wearing a pack, so it doesnt affect my use of a heavy pack at all. . Any experienced leather worker should be able to make a good one pretty reasonably. They usually take your gun and mold the leather around it. Works great for me.