Bag/quilt choice Wyoming mid October

geriggs

WKR
Just looking for some thoughts on bag/quilt choice for southern Wyoming at 8-9000 feet in mid October rifle elk season. I have a great WM terra lite bag and it’s great but afraid its not going to be enough. I can send it back to get over stuffed or I could sell it and get something like a good 0 or 10 deg top quilt. I am using a Nemo wide tensor insulated pad but may switch to thermarest or exped downmat. FYI I am a bigger guy, 6’2” 275 and my shoulder width with my arms down is right at 60 in. So will need a tall extra wide quilt or similar bag. Also running a stove in a sawtooth but you know what happens at 2am when no one stokes the fire or adds wood lol. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazz3ring

WKR
A Stone Glacier Chilkoot 0 degree or 15 degree bag might be an option for you. They are pretty spacious bags of high quality and warmth.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
I’ve looked at those but was worried they were not going to be big enough. They look like great bags

Whitty

FNG
Are you packing in or truck camping? My best solution for truck camping is a double sleeping bag from Amazon (cheap) with my Nemo Disco unzipped as a quilt inside. Plenty of room for comfort with a Luxe sized pad.

Packing in I just use by Disco bag and merino base layers with a merino beanie. I'm a good bit smaller than you so you would need to research size but my Disco is way roomier than my MH Lamina mummy bag. SO stove for the real cold nights and early mornings.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m 6’1, 325 (currently 265#) when I ordered my El Coyote custom sized quilt.

Long x XX-wide is the shihizz nikkk!

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I was in WY last year in the Big Horns and had a Enlightened Equipment 20° quilt with a stove. Couple mornings it dipped down to the low 20's.

The stove helped and I put my Puffy on right before bed.

I’m 6’1, 225, and my chest measurement was right at 55” last I checked.

After freezing my ass off in a slick bag in prior years, I upgraded to a XL 10* Zen Bivy light bed last year for mid October in Colorado (also w a sawtoooth and a stove).

It’s heavier than other down bags, by about ~1lb IRRC. But, it’s far and away the most comfortable bag I’ve ever used and I was hot most nights. An additional benefit is that Zen Bivy uses the same DWR that SG uses on their down products (which comes highly recommended here, and Ryan’s recent podcast about down re-enforces).

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
I have been eyeballing the zen bivy system. Looks like a good option. Also considering the xx or xxx el coyote quilt. Thanks again for the tips

Kampkook

FNG
I am going to follow this thread, because I have similar requirements. Are they any alternatives to ZEN BIVY? most of their light stuff is out of stock.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I have been eyeballing the zen bivy system. Looks like a good option. Also considering the xx or xxx el coyote quilt. Thanks again for the tips

Brian w/El Coyote is excellent to work with… walks you through process, asks a ton of questions to get as much detail into your customized bag. Had a quote done for me in 1 day, after my payment, had my new custom quilt in the mail with 1 week!

Can’t recommend this company enough!

Can always add a liner fleece insert or bivy outside to gain 10-20 degrees of warmth (if you didn’t already know that)