Barrett Fieldcraft???

z987k

WKR
My Fieldcrafts were not under 5 pounds
The long unthreaded barrels kind of defeated the purpose of the rifle IMO. Long actions, same thing.

Getting into semi or even full custom money also defeats it's purpose. It's an amazing rifle at it's $1800 msrp.

OP
TK161BOONER
I decided to sell the 308 , thank you guys for all the input, I’m gonna hold onto the 6.5 special edition.

fatbacks

WKR
I’ve listed the 308 for now, wanted to list it for a couple days before putting it on GB.
The last used 308 win 18” threaded sold on auction for a little over $3500.
I know my price is more then most on here are willing to pay and I’m fine with that.
I had two 18" threaded versions I sold... regret not holding onto them to sell now.

Geez, for $3500 I am not sure the fieldcreft would be at the top of my list....

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
The long unthreaded barrels kind of defeated the purpose of the rifle IMO. Long actions, same thing.

Getting into semi or even full custom money also defeats it's purpose. It's an amazing rifle at it's $1800 msrp.
Absolutely. My FC were 5.3ish. My model seven is 5.5 and has bdl bottom metal. I have a 700 mountain rifle in a manners uc stock that is 5.5. I paid $1350 for one FC and $1800 for the other. I gave them a chance but they just weren’t for me. For the money people are asking now I feel like there are better options.

z987k

WKR
Absolutely. My FC were 5.3ish. My model seven is 5.5 and has bdl bottom metal. I have a 700 mountain rifle in a manners uc stock that is 5.5. I paid $1350 for one FC and $1800 for the other. I gave them a chance but they just weren’t for me. For the money people are asking now I feel like there are better options.
The only thing no one else is doing in a factory rifle, and I think there's massive market for it, is making true suppressor purpose built hunting rifles. 18-20in, light sporter barrels with the bell for 5/8 threads, bare gun under 5.5lbs max. And then a $2k max msrp, but it better have other features to support that price to.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Sorry I wasn’t clear on my post, I have both and I’m going to keep one…thanks for any input.
It would be my only hunting rifle for mainly deer, black bear and “possibly” elk someday.
I’m just really torn on what to let go, the 308 shoots half MOA and the 6.5 is new.
I’ll trade you the .308 for a Cooper model 52. 300 win mag then you can have a nice elk gun too

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The only thing no one else is doing in a factory rifle, and I think there's massive market for it, is making true suppressor purpose built hunting rifles. 18-20in, light sporter barrels with the bell for 5/8 threads, bare gun under 5.5lbs max. And then a $2k max msrp, but it better have other features to support that price to.
I’d buy that.

z987k

WKR
I’d buy that.
That's what a 18in fieldcraft was. Mine was 4lbs 15oz bare in 6.5 with the 18.5in barrel. I really like the stock on it and it's exactly how you build a barrel you intend to only suppress. I'm also a fan of blind magazines.

I'm building a custom that basically is a FC, with a few little things I prefer but for less money than the FCs are going for, but for more than a factory could produce the same rifle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That's what a 18in fieldcraft was. Mine was 4lbs 15oz bare in 6.5 with the 18.5in barrel. I really like the stock on it and it's exactly how you build a barrel you intend to only suppress. I'm also a fan of blind magazines.
Yeah man I’d absolutely love one of the 18” fieldcraft rifles but not for the price of that one in the classified adds. I really regret not getting one when they were 1700 dollars brand new.

That being said, my Kimber Montana 308 shoots great and when it gets back from the gunsmith it will be flared and threaded for 5/8x24 at 18”.

z987k

WKR
Yeah man I’d absolutely love one of the 18” fieldcraft rifles but not for the price of that one in the classified adds. I really regret not getting one when they were 1700 dollars brand new.

That being said, my Kimber Montana 308 shoots great and when it gets back from the gunsmith it will be flared and threaded for 5/8x24 at 18”.
Ya, kimber is probably the next thing. I don't think they're having issues selling rifles considering you pretty much can't find one, but they'd have one hell of a hit if they took the Adirondack and put a bell and 5/8 threads on the barrel.
If I wanted to do a cheaper semi-custom that still was really light, I'd start with a hunter and throw the stock away and re-barrel it.

schmalzy

WKR
Ya, kimber is probably the next thing. I don't think they're having issues selling rifles considering you pretty much can't find one, but they'd have one hell of a hit if they took the Adirondack and put a bell and 5/8 threads on the barrel.
If I wanted to do a cheaper semi-custom that still was really light, I'd start with a hunter and throw the stock away and re-barrel it.

I don’t think they’re actively building any montanas or mountain ascents, or adirondacks. Only thing I’ve seen are hunters.

I bought a recent 30-06 montana new last year with green stock and threaded barrel and put Kimbers brake on it and I love it. 1300 bucks. It’s been a great rifle. I want the same rifle in 308 or 7mm-08 but can’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
I don’t think they’re actively building any montanas or mountain ascents, or adirondacks. Only thing I’ve seen are hunters.

I bought a recent 30-06 montana new last year with green stock and threaded barrel and put Kimbers brake on it and I love it. 1300 bucks. It’s been a great rifle. I want the same rifle in 308 or 7mm-08 but can’t find it.

The only difference between the hunter and the Montana is the stock. The Montana stock is ok, but for the price difference between the two, just get the hunter, toss the stock and get a really good one.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I’ve had my 308 since 2017 and it’s a shooter. I got a mountain ascent 300 win mag from a guy here on rokslide for 1100 bucks, it was an absolute steal. I’ve got some loads worked out that shoot absolutely lights out with that rifle. I’m a big fan of the kimbers, I’d like to get a mountain ascent in 6.5 creed and get it cut back to 18” or an Adirondack in 6.5.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The only difference between the hunter and the Montana is the stock. The Montana stock is ok, but for the price difference between the two, just get the hunter, toss the stock and get a really good one.
I like the Montana stocks but I agree, for the price difference the hunter is probably a much better value. My friend got a mountain ascent in 6.5 for under 700 dollars.

z987k

WKR
I’ve had my 308 since 2017 and it’s a shooter. I got a mountain ascent 300 win mag from a guy here on rokslide for 1100 bucks, it was an absolute steal. I’ve got some loads worked out that shoot absolutely lights out with that rifle. I’m a big fan of the kimbers, I’d like to get a mountain ascent in 6.5 creed and get it cut back to 18” or an Adirondack in 6.5.
Just get a hunter in 6.5, cut and thread, put something like an mpi stock on it and you'll have a better gun than an Adirondack for less money.

I'm probably going to do just that in a 280ai.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just get a hunter in 6.5, cut and thread, put something like an mpi stock on it and you'll have a better gun than an Adirondack for less money.

I'm probably going to do just that in a 280ai.
I just might do that.

You left out the longer mag box for those of us that reload....My 18" 308 has a 3" long mag box....

I wouldn't turn lose of either of those rifles. But since the question was which I personally would keep the 6.5 as the biggest game I hunt is whitetails.