BBQ Grills

I’m going to be in the market for a new grill this spring as my 15 year old Weber Genesis is on its last legs (it has been great as I’ve only replaced the burners in 15 years).

I’m looking at Napoleon, Blaze, or maybe another Weber. Anybody have experience with any of these, especially the Napoleon or Blaze? Are there others I should look at? I’m trying to stay around $1500-2000.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
My folks have run a blaze with several bells and whistles now for 5 years. They cook on it at least 5 days a week in the late spring through early fall. I've used it several times, and it's great. If you get one, be sure to get the sear burner, too. I'd recommend one. So far zero issues or complaints from theirs.

I've been using my genesis for 3 years, and it still does the job perfectly.

Good luck on your quest.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Not the style your asking about but I recently got a Blackstone Griddle and cook just about anything I would cook in a pan outside on that grill.

Whole pound of bacon, pancakes, steaks, burgers, chicken ect. No smoking out the house anymore. I got one woth a lid so I still cook on it when it's cold.

It might not suite every application like a rack of ribs, but the steaks have been exceptional. I'm going to try smoking a tri tip or brisket soon, by searing the cut on both sides, moving it to the off side without that burner on and putting smoker chips on the hot side in a small cast iron pan.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
Weber if you want a traditional grill. If space isn’t an issue I’d go with a lower line Weber AND a Blackstone as they could be had in unison for well under your budget.

I’d avoid the Summit line for Weber, just because you’d be at the very top of your price range and that’s a pile of $$$ for a gas grill. I think the better bargain for something quality with features is the Weber “Genesis” line.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I‘ve had the Napoleon with the infrared side burner and rotisserie for around 15 years. It’s been bullet proof and I would buy one again. The infrared gets to a very high temp and is great for doing steaks. I hardly ever use the rotisserie because I am too lazy but it is a heavy duty quality unit.

Ranger619

WKR
I bought a Char-Griller Kamado from Menards to try a few years ago. I ended up giving my gas grill away. We love it. The type of lump charcoal does vary in flavor though.

FWIW, I bought a pretty cheap Masterbuilt gravity feed charcoal grill several years ago. It's not the best quality but it is damn fast and can smoke from 150 degrees to sear at 700. Ive had to replace the control panel and some safety switches (which next time I'll just bypass.) Mine is the small one. Buddy picked up the large one and really likes it. Super easy to regulate the temp on it. Way under your budget. You could get that and a blackstone. I have one of those too and like it but wish i had the next smaller one.

For a pure bourgeois grill, a company called Hasty Bake here in Tulsa makes some cool stuff but they are expensive. I had one that was 30+ years old and finally gave up the ghost. You can still buy any replacement part for any grill they have ever made too.

SWOHTR

WKR
What do you use it for?
When do you use it?
How do you use it?
Answer those questions first. Thoughts -

I use my gas grill during the week for quickly grilling thin cuts of meat where the protein isn’t the star of the dinner. Because of that, I can get away with a cheaper gasser.

Anything that gets a significant amount of time and attention goes on either the kamado or offset, typically on the weekend when I have more time to deal with it.

OP
S
What do you use it for?
When do you use it?
How do you use it?
Answer those questions first. Thoughts -

I use my gas grill during the week for quickly grilling thin cuts of meat where the protein isn’t the star of the dinner. Because of that, I can get away with a cheaper gasser.

Anything that gets a significant amount of time and attention goes on either the kamado or offset, typically on the weekend when I have more time to deal with it.
I use it for grilling with as little startup effort as possible. For the last 15 years years, the gas grill has been used 4-5 times/week on average. I have a pellet grill, as well, for when I'm doing longer cooks. I've used the Kamado/Egg style cookers before and know, without a doubt, that I'm not going that route. The cook great but, dang, they take some time to get rolling.

I also do quite a bit on the rotisserie. My current weber had the burners running side to side (the newer models are front to back) so the rotisserie worked pretty well with the middle burner off. Now with all the burners front to back, I really like the idea of having a burner in the back.

If I was using it only occasionally for burgers and dogs, a cheap gasser would work but I use my BBQ a lot and need the heat control from a decent grill. However, I don't need a lot of the fluff in higher end grills. Heat control and long term quality are what I'm looking for.

When my propane one died, I found a kamado at sams for cheap. Figured I would try it. That was years ago and I dont know if I’ll ever get a gasser again.

View attachment 685454

I just bought what looks to be the same kamado. I've only done a chuck roast and some burgers but good so far.

I had the char-grill akorn kamado previously and liked it a lot as well.

At this point, I'm probably ditching my gas grill and just rolling with the kamado and Blackstone.

11boo

WKR
I just bought what looks to be the same kamado. I've only done a chuck roast and some burgers but good so far.

I had the char-grill akorn kamado previously and liked it a lot as well.

At this point, I'm probably ditching my gas grill and just rolling with the kamado and Blackstone.

If anybody wants a kamado, wait till next fall if you want the deals.
Mine was 275. In October at Sams.

If anybody wants a kamado, wait till next fall if you want the deals.
Mine was 275. In October at Sams.

Damn! That is a steal.

What size did you get?
Is the brand Outlast?

Mine was $900 for the 24" and cherry on top, they seem to be out of business so no warranty.

SWOHTR

WKR
I use it for grilling with as little startup effort as possible. For the last 15 years years, the gas grill has been used 4-5 times/week on average. I have a pellet grill, as well, for when I'm doing longer cooks. I've used the Kamado/Egg style cookers before and know, without a doubt, that I'm not going that route. The cook great but, dang, they take some time to get rolling.

I also do quite a bit on the rotisserie. My current weber had the burners running side to side (the newer models are front to back) so the rotisserie worked pretty well with the middle burner off. Now with all the burners front to back, I really like the idea of having a burner in the back.

If I was using it only occasionally for burgers and dogs, a cheap gasser would work but I use my BBQ a lot and need the heat control from a decent grill. However, I don't need a lot of the fluff in higher end grills. Heat control and long term quality are what I'm looking for.
This is good. Like you, I find I don't want a lot of extras in the grills...just simple reliability and durability.

11boo

WKR
Damn! That is a steal.

What size did you get?
Is the brand Outlast?

Mine was $900 for the 24" and cherry on top, they seem to be out of business so no warranty.
It’s their vision line. Must have been 8 year’s ago, and it still seals up tight. I can see needing a new gasket at some point.

Not the style your asking about but I recently got a Blackstone Griddle and cook just about anything I would cook in a pan outside on that grill.

Whole pound of bacon, pancakes, steaks, burgers, chicken ect. No smoking out the house anymore. I got one woth a lid so I still cook on it when it's cold.

It might not suite every application like a rack of ribs, but the steaks have been exceptional. I'm going to try smoking a tri tip or brisket soon, by searing the cut on both sides, moving it to the off side without that burner on and putting smoker chips on the hot side in a small cast iron pan.

I bought a Blackstone from Wally World awhile ago, I love it. Are you concerned about metal fatigue or warping by having a burner or two off while the other side is hot?

P

grfox92

WKR
I bought a Blackstone from Wally World awhile ago, I love it. Are you concerned about metal fatigue or warping by having a burner or two off while the other side is hot?

P
Haven't thought of it to be honest, I was just going to run it on low on the side with the smoker chips.