Bear Defense Sidearm for Small Hands

JSC2626

FNG
I know the "which gun for bear defense" has been beat to death, but I am hoping some folks that have smaller hands can chime in. I am in need of a sidearm to carry while in grizzly country. I looked into the Glock 20 as I shoot GSSF competitions with a G45 and carry a G43x and generally really like Glock. Unfortunately, I am running into a problem with the G20 where my hands are physically too small to have enough contact on the grip. I even noticed my support hand is gripping differently than on my G45 and G43x. For reference, I generally have to wear medium gloves. Seems like the G20 may just not be right for me due to the overall size of the frame so I am looking at alternatives with the following criteria and hoping for some good alternatives and commentary. To be extra difficult, I am not really interested in learning revolvers as I am pretty competent with semi-autos and am not too eager to have to start from scratch on learning to shoot. I also don't really trust the Sig P320 platform or M&P 10mm platform due to the old drop safety issues of the Sigs and the generally poor reports from the M&P 10mm (unless the new M&Ps are actually working now). I could spend up to $1100 but would have to cut off there to leave room for ammo, a shell for my Kenai Chest Holster, and potentially new iron sights. I am interested in thoughts on the options below, but also other recommendations on different sidearms if I left one off.

Options:
- HK45 or HK USP 45 in .45 Super
- Glock 22.5 in .40S&W
- Springfield Ronin 10mm
- Ruger SR1911 10mm

Other relevant information. I would be using hard cast lead from either Buffalo Bore, Underwood, or someone similar. Will be carrying bear spray as well but want to keep a sidearm for the "just in-case".

bliner

FNG
It’s not in your options list, but the XD 10 mm could be another possibility that might work for you.

B23

WKR
Have you considered any of the single stack 1911's in 10mm? Or a 1911 45 with a 460 Rowland kit? That may put you over your budget but 460 Rowland in 1911 barrel lengths gives you 44mag power.

You said no revolvers but for smaller hands the S&W model 69 44mag is worth looking at.

MattB

WKR
Have you looked at the G20SF or G29? Glock platform but smaller grip size than the G20.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I have small hands and have been happy with the glock 29sf with mag pinky extension.

Why not stick with the pistols you already have? You say you compete in pistol matches so I would say go with what you’re comfortable with as accuracy and confidence may trump all should you need to use it. However I have never seen a grizzly in person nor do I live in grizzly country so I don’t really know chit.

OP
J

JSC2626

FNG
Why not stick with the pistols you already have? You say you compete in pistol matches so I would say go with what you’re comfortable with as accuracy and confidence may trump all should you need to use it. However I have never seen a grizzly in person nor do I live in grizzly country so I don’t really know chit.
I’ll be honest, I’m just sketched out picturing a 800 lb grizz charging me. I used to think I would just take my G45 and run the hardcast but once I actually made the plan to hunt in grizz country I instantly felt the need for something that packs more punch. May be all in my head though.

OP
J

JSC2626

FNG
I'm gonna get hate for this, but I'd rather have a smaller, lighter, easier to handle 9mm loaded with either hardcast or Xtreme Penetrators.
More likely to put hits on target and plenty of penetration.
I keep trying to tell myself that but the thought of a large grizz charging makes me second guess carrying a 9. Still, I agree I’d rather a 9 I can hit with than a 10 I can’t hit with.

OP
J

JSC2626

FNG
Have you considered any of the single stack 1911's in 10mm? Or a 1911 45 with a 460 Rowland kit? That may put you over your budget but 460 Rowland in 1911 barrel lengths gives you 44mag power.

You said no revolvers but for smaller hands the S&W model 69 44mag is worth looking at.
Definitely considering some 1911’s. Looking at the Ruger SR1911 and Springfield Ronan Operator, both in 10mm. Also considering bumping the budget up for a Dan Wesson Razorback if I did go the 1911 route. I’m not a huge fan of the knack thumb safety since I’ve gotten used to Glock but I may just bite the bullet and get used to it. My only real turn off to the revolvers is that it would be a large learning curve going from Glock grip angle and trigger to revolver. I may go rent one to try out before I dismiss it though.

For small hands, the Sig X-ten will be your best 10mm option. The comp version is pretty sweet. It should handle 200 hard cast, but mags bind on 220s in my experience because they are so compact.

I have small hands too - my primary 10mm is the FN 510 with the small back strap followed by a gen 5 Glock 20. Both have been reliable for me with 200-220 hard cast.

In revolver land, I had a red hawk but ultimately sold it. I now have a 629 S&W and that is a good option for smaller hands.

Good luck - this has been a battle for me as well… but with time and training, I can handle large frames now with a minor tweak to my grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
J

JSC2626

FNG
Have you looked at the G20SF or G29? Glock platform but smaller grip size than the G20.
Yeah unfortunately the Gen 4 and 5 are the same dimensions as the Gen 3 SF frame. I’ve never actually seen a G29 in person. Haven’t really thought about the G29 since it is the same “girth” as the G20.
For small hands, the Sig X-ten will be your best 10mm option. The comp version is pretty sweet. It should handle 200 hard cast, but mags bind on 220s in my experience because they are so compact.

I have small hands too - my primary 10mm is the FN 510 with the small back strap followed by a gen 5 Glock 20. Both have been reliable for me with 200-220 hard cast.

In revolver land, I had a red hawk but ultimately sold it. I now have a 629 S&W and that is a good option for smaller hands.

Good luck - this has been a battle for me as well… but with time and training, I can handle large frames now with a minor tweak to my grip.

Is the FN a smaller grip than the Glock? And I do like the way the Sig feels in the hand but have not been a fan of the constant accusations of drop safe issues (whether they are justified or not). I am probably going to rent a revolver to give a fair shot before I dismiss them completely.

I’ll be honest, I’m just sketched out picturing a 800 lb grizz charging me. I used to think I would just take my G45 and run the hardcast but once I actually made the plan to hunt in grizz country I instantly felt the need for something that packs more punch. May be all in my head though.

Do some reading on pistol defense articles… something like 97% success rate across all calibers. All handguns are a compromise for a big bear - but, it does seem like putting up a fight with well placed, hard cast shots, from most calibers discourages them enough to survive.

Penetration wise, 9mm with hardcast will be close to a 10mm and you would need CNS to “stop” a bear in a best case scenario either way.

That said, I do prefer the 10mm, but if you can’t find one you like, I’d carry a 9 with underwood and practice getting shots on target quick.

Yeah unfortunately the Gen 4 and 5 are the same dimensions as the Gen 3 SF frame. I’ve never actually seen a G29 in person. Haven’t really thought about the G29 since it is the same “girth” as the G20.

Is the FN a smaller grip than the Glock? And I do like the way the Sig feels in the hand but have not been a fan of the constant accusations of drop safe issues (whether they are justified or not). I am probably going to rent a revolver to give a fair shot before I dismiss them completely.

Most P320 issues are overblown and are from poor holsters, booger hooks in wrong places etc. There was some sporadic early cases, but nothing that I have ever heard with the x-ten and I have been following close. I get the concern, but glocks have had plenty of NDs over the years and early on were accused very similarly.

The FN with the small back strap is better for small hands than the Glock IMO. Its trigger is easier to reach and it’s less blocky. Still a big handgun, but very manageable IMO.

All in all, the FN is my #1 and Glock #2, even with small hands.

I would think that if you already shoot competition with a G45 and a G43X, you should be fine using hardcast bullets in those. However, if you felt undergunned and wanted to use a large frame, I would think that in that scenario you would probably have such a grip on that pistol that it wouldn’t really matter what size the pistol was. Just my opinion.

BLJ

WKR
I have small hands and have been happy with the glock 29sf with mag pinky extension.
I’ve since sold it but this is exactly what I had. I wear small or medium gloves. I thought it was quite manageable with 180’s.
Admittedly I never had to handle it under stress, but IMO it was surprisingly easy to shoot.
That being said, if I had to carry something now it would be my 365 that I’ve shot a lot with a heavy hard cast. That’s what I’m used to and the best I got.
I don’t know if there is a pistol out there that will make someone “comfortable” in grizzly country. IMO.

kpk

WKR
I had all the same issues and handled about everything mentioned here. I ended up getting the Glock 20.
The FN is nice, and smaller in the grip but its nearly twice as much and future support is a concern.
The Sig 10s have serious issues from what I've seen. I'm a Sig fanboy and that would have been my choice if not for the mag/feeding issues.
I've looked at the Razorback but a heavy single stack with only 8 round capacity is giving up a lot. You may or not struggle with changing to the other grip angle.
I had an XDm. I liked it and no issues, but Glock go bang every time as a woods gun.
IMO if you're proficient with your G45, load it up wih Underwood or Buffalo bore and you'll be in better shape than most.

I have done two hunts in alaska, carried my G17 with 147gr hard cast boolets. It is what I shoot/carry often so it made sense to me. Saw some big bears, but never had to use it. Beavers didn’t care for it though….