Bear sign?

RdHawg

FNG
While hunting CA B zone last year I found myself up on a rocky hillside with a bunch of large boulders. I had previously spotted a bear in this area and found an area that he had obviously spent a lot of time, wearing the trails right down to the dirt. Among the boulders there were a few large pockets that had big white splotches on the rocks. Unfortunately I was not in possession of a Camera at the time. The only way I can describe them is very similar to the way the rocks look after a few generations of seabirds have crapped all over them. Will a bear soil its own den? Is this normal for a black bear? Or is it more likely some other type of animal or lichen?

Thanks,
Brian

Bears den when they hibernate.
When they hibernate they don't defecate, and they usually don't blow the plug until they have been out of the den for 48-72 hours and got things going with bear root and stagnant water.

So no, that isn't bear sign.

I've never seen bear sign like that? One rocky spot I hang out here in Colo there are lots of overturned rocks. Obviously from bears looking for a meal.

A bears system shuts down and only brand new cubs will crap in a den. But the mother eats that to keep it all clean inside. Bears do not plug themselves, contrary to popular bear lore. The digestive tract needs food going thru it to push the old
Waste out. What comes out in the spring is the last turd that sat in the system, and every last bit of digestible particles has been cleaned outa it, leaving sticks, and indigestible matter. Aka "plug". Once a bear begins to eat the system starts rolling again and that "plug" or stick turd is pushed out. Any food source will get that last turd out. There is no magic grass or special food they need to eat. It's just the next turd in line is all.

Those splotches were most likely from large bird. I come across them all the time when I find a good glassing point in that neck of the woods. Thats how I know Im on a good glassing point and there are critters in the area.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think the raptor theory might have some merit. The bit that threw me off of birds is that the splotches seemed to be beneath other rocks. But maybe that's because everything above them had been washed clean by the rain? Went to the G1 hunt this year, so next year I plan to go back to B zone (with a camera too) and see if that bear is still up to the same routine, I've got a little sumpthin I'd like to share with him.

Back