Best Backpack under $250

Lebeda33

FNG
New Backpack Hunter - Looking for pack under $250

Hi everyone,

I am new here but I have been reading through a bunch of forums and it seems that there are many knowledgeable hunters on Rokslide. I moved to Idaho last winter and quickly purchased an external frame pack (Alps Commander) for elk hunting the following fall. I didn't care for the pack very much because I wanted something that I could carry as a day pack, could expand enough for multi-day trips, and pack an elk quarter. The Alps Commander seems very bulky to me and not easy to carry for day trips. It also does not fit me very well (5 foot 8 inches and 175 pounds).

I don't have much money to spend on a pack, $250 is my absolute maximum. Currently, I have been looking at the Eberlestock mainframe (used or new on sale) with their dry bag or the spike camp duffel bag. Additionally, I've been looking at the Badlands packs and if I can find one on sale, I may go that route as well.

I found quite a bit of information on the Badlands packs but I couldn't much information on the Eberlestock mainframe with the dry bag. Does anyone on here use the Eberlestock mainframe and dry bag or spike camp duffel combination? If so, how do you like it? Are there any backpack companies that I am leaving out that have bags within my price range that will fit my needs?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
There is a guy on here that has an Easton fullbore for sell in the classifieds. I used one it was a good pack. With that said , id use what you got until you can afford a used pack from some of the more well known reputable pack companies , Kifaru , Stone Glacier , Exo or Kuiu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I would look towards a horn hunter full curl or find a used pack on here. Saw a kifaru bikini set up for like 225 the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
Out of the 2 you mentioned, the Eberlestock is a better pack.

A guy I hunt with runs a mainframe and it has given a lot of Elk rides out of the hills with no problems.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
I use an eberlestock as well, but its not the mainframe. I had to get two packs, so I couldn't afford to layout the cash for two Kifarus or EXO's. I ended up with a Dragonfly, and a blue widow. I really like the layout on each actually. Works well as a daypack, and can expand for lots more. Both packs are kinda heavy empty, when compared to other packs. The dragonfly has the built in scabbard, which can double duty for holding your tripod, or water bladder. I prefer to keep my water bladder external to the main bag in case it leaks, and can do that on both packs.

With all that said, I do get sore shoulders from the pack with anything over 30 pounds when hiking in mountainous terrian. I actually tagged out in NM for mule deer this year. Shot a small buck fairly close to camp which was nice. I was able to get the whole thing loaded into the pack and hike back. Not far, but it was doable. Still haven't drawn for elk, so the only blood my pack has seen is that Mule Deer. I will upgrade to a better pack at some point in the future, but for now, the eberle is going to have to do, and has done what Ive asked of it.

There is a lot of new stuff coming from Kifaru right now though...so you might be able to find a good deal on a pack and frame. Two new packs just came out, and there is talk of a new frame. I would expect there will be lots of used stuff available over the next few months, and guys upgrade, so keep an eye out and you may find a screaming deal that way also.

Last edited:

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Save 50-150 more and get you a seek outside, they have a good selection and all of their packs can handle pack outs. Frame and dry bag would run you like 350. I’m sure you can find a good used frame from any company for that budget

Lawnboi

WKR
Id make a wtb add in the classifieds and see who you can get to bite for your price range. Now is he time to do it too, everyone's selling to get the latest and greatest. Some may be desperate to dump packs

If you want to go the dry bag and frame route I'd bet you could scrounge up a kifaru frame, grab it and dry bag for near 250 pretty easily if your patient.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say wait and buy a good used pack off someone on here. Either Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Seek Outside, etc. You'll be much happier than buying a new pack that retails for $250 or less. FYI there will be some killer deals on Camofire soon that involve one of the above companies.

matthewmt

WKR
As mentioned above the seekoutside packs can be found on here at times for really good prices, why I would suggest them first is they are comfortable and quality, capable of carrying heavy loads etc. But a whole setup often goes for what a frame alone from another company would cost.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

KMT

WKR
Gregory baltoro and Osprey aether or xenith packs are also nice and can be found on sale for less than $250. Under $200 on backcountry.com now.

boom

WKR
i carried out a couple of elk with a Badlands 2800. i just used that batwing design. the loads were soul-crushing heavy, but the pack and i got it done.

...then i found Rokslide and found out how dumb that was:D new packs apparently make 80 lbs feel like 40..whatever that means.

of the two..the Eberlestock. my Badlands is long gone, but my brother is still rocking his Eberle. he loves the thing..i memorized how it looks loaded because my brother is always the faster hiker, and is always in front of me.

Rmauch20

WKR
Slumberjack bounty 2.0, If you watch for sales you can pick it up for under 250. I used this pack this year on elk, and a Whitetail deer. It is not a top-tier pack like stone glacier, kifaru, or EXO but I think it’s a good Quality pack.

JWP58

WKR
Alps outdoorz commander x extreme pack. I did a review a few months back. Look for sales and people "upgrading".

Stop buying lesser packs...save your coins and get a used Kifaru. Step up and have no regrets.

Jimbob

WKR
buy used like everyone is suggesting. Always nice to use top end gear at bargain prices. I would rock a used frame then you add bag later when funds are available. I would have no problem using a load sling and dry bag.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an older generation Mystery Ranch Crew Cab I'd sell ya for $250. Been sitting in the gear room for years. It's in great shape.