Best boots for ankle support

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Currently running Crispi Nevada but need to go up a size. I figure if I am buy a pair of boots, I might as well ask and see if there is anything else out there that I should consider. Ankle support is a must. Uninsured it a must. Please let me know if you have something worth considering or if I am going to get the same boot but up a size.

Mag_7s

WKR
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme is my vote. They are stiff enough in the areas that matter, but not mountaineering stiff. Defently try them on somewhere. Seems like there are two types: you either absolutely love them or absolutely hate them. If you don't love them from them moment you put them on, they are probably not for you.

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the Lowa Tibet GTX high boots and have never had any issues. We hunt some pretty steep country with a lot of side hilling and I’ve never found myself wanting more support

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme is my vote. They are stiff enough in the areas that matter, but not mountaineering stiff. Defently try them on somewhere. Seems like there are two types: you either absolutely love them or absolutely hate them. If you don't love them from them moment you put them on, they are probably not for you.
I have heard that about kenetrek but I have never tried them. Maybe it is time I try to find a location and try them on. Waiting to get my new insoles before testing anything out. Just trying to get some ideas right now.

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Lowa Tibet GTX high boots and have never had any issues. We hunt some pretty steep country with a lot of side hilling and I’ve never found myself wanting more support
Tha k you for the recommendation. I will look I to these as well.

hiker270

WKR
Almost all the high quality boots will provide good ankle support. But not all of them will be a good fit for your feet. If possible shop locally where you can try on and walk in the boots and wear the same socks you plan to hunt in. A good quality merino or alpaca wool sock can be a difference maker in how your feet feel in any boot.

LoggerDan

WKR
@Gettincloser
There’s lots of times, I wouldn’t think of wearing anything else. No, they don’t pick stuff up really. If they did, men wearing in the woods for work wouldn’t be using em. The traction is unbelievable, and the spikes do wear down. I usually have two pair; newer pair for work, older pair for hunting. But I also like the regular soled version. These are the boots I’ve relied on for years.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few findings from my backcountry hunting in rugged/crappy Alaskan mountain terrain.
1. 8 or 10" height is important if you want to maximize ankle support in steep or off-camber terrain, especially with a heavy pack.
2. A stiff shank with at least "3" out of "5" stiffness rating (subjectively, or per manufacturer) will prevent the boot sole from twisting under foot and thick leather (2.6mm at a minimum) will help support the ankle.
3. Going to a stiffer boot emphasizes the importance of a rockered sole to maintain efficient walking. Flat soles may be good for mountaineering (crampons, technical climbing, etc.), but make for a clunky stride and waste energy.
4. A boot will feel stiffer in the store. Add a heavy pack, some break-in miles, and wet leather and most boots will feel/flex softer in the field.
That said, I have packed some very heavy weight in a pair of 6" Lowa Tibet GTX that are my "light but stiff" boots with moderate ankle support (super comfy for my wide feet) and 8" Schnees Granite 200g which take the ankle support up a notch due to thicker leather and the taller height. My next uninsulated boots will likely be the 8" tall Lowa Tibets.

cs68

FNG
A couple years ago, I went on a Wyoming antelope hunt that was relatively simple, I thought my Lowa renegades would be fine, but I was wrong and didn't consider 2 ankle surgeries a few years ago, rookie mistake.
I bought a pair of Lowa Ticams during gohunt's black friday sale that year, as a more supportive do all hunt boot. Compared to my other boots they gave much more stability than I was previously used to, but not so stiff I need to walk flat footed. I know the tibet is stiffer, idk how scientific it is, but gohunt rates the renegades as a 2/5, ticams 3.5/5, and tibet as a 4/5, in regards to stiffness. I find Lowa to be my favorite boot brand, the quality is solid, and they fit me very well.

2-Stix

WKR
If you like the Crispi run the guides, or the hunters...they are taller and the stability goes way up from 8" to 10" and more at 12". I have the Laponnia, Nevadas and Wildrocks.

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I now have 4 windows open with different boot. Just doing research for now as I am waiting to get some custom insole made with a 1/4"+ heel riser for the right leg.... apparently is is a little shorter than the left leg and causing back issues...

Thank you for the many suggestions. I am reaching out to these companies to see where they think I should start in thier boot lineup so I am not wasting $ on a half dozen boots or more.

2-Stix

WKR
I now have 4 windows open with different boot. Just doing research for now as I am waiting to get some custom insole made with a 1/4"+ heel riser for the right leg.... apparently is is a little shorter than the left leg and causing back issues...

Thank you for the many suggestions. I am reaching out to these companies to see where they think I should start in thier boot lineup so I am not wasting $ on a half dozen boots or more.
You can order from BlackOvis, order a few there, Crispi, Kens, etc....but just wear them in the house with tags on if you want to try a few and return them.

Last edited:

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
I have a titanium plate in my right ankle courtesy of my vacation in Iraq, so ankle support is a must. I really like the Meindl Vakkum Hunters. They are extremely comfortable, great support and actually mold to your feet. Good luck

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and the Lowa Tibets. Both are great boots, but I made the switch to Crispi Colorado’s last year and probably won’t go back. Even for a shorter boot, my ankles felt way more secure than in the other two boots. Crispis ABSS is awesome. If you’re happy with the Nevadas, stick with them.