Best Commuter Car

dlee56

WKR
Just bought my first house but it comes with a new healthy commute. Any recommendations for a used commuter car to keep miles off my truck?

Scoot

WKR
I bought a used Hyunai Elantra many years ago as my commuter car for the same reason- wanted to keep miles off my truck. I've been happy with it. However, it's a pile of poo on ice, so I end up driving my truck much of the time from Dec-Mar (I live in NW MN). Otherwise, I've been happy with the little weinee car.

CorbLand

WKR
How big of an issue is weather going to be in your commute?

If weather isnt an issue, I would look at Civics or Camrys. If it is, I would look at Rav4s or CRVs.

I use a 2010 Honda Civic for my 110 mile round trip to work everyday. 406,000 miles on it. Bought the plain jane LX model brand new. If I baby the gas pedal it still gets 36ish for MPG keeping the cruise around 72 MPH. Keep the oil changed, air filter cleaned out. It's easy to change the oil yourself, same for spark plugs every 100,000. Just replaced the original serpentine belt at 400,000. Now if you want one w/out the turbo you have to buy the LX so you can't get the nicer trims w/out the turbo which bums me out. I plan on driving this to 500,000 barring anything major and maybe longer. If something was to happen to it today it'd be hard not to go get another plain jane civic to replace it.

My civic exploded at 106k but I seem to be the odd ball out and I can break anything on the planet.

I’d probably be looking for a used Prius, Corolla or a civic.

I’m assuming you’re looking for something “cheap” to buy used

yeahkkyle

FNG
I drive a 2003 tdi 5 speed to work. The worst tank has been 48mpg since buying in 2014, normally avg 54-55. Sad part is the body will probably rust out before the motor ever quits. If I were too replace it I would probably look for a Civic.

Yooper

WKR
I've got a '14 Subaru Outback with 205k miles on it right now. Average about 25-26mpg. I deal with a good amount of snow and shitty roads a good chunk of the year and I'm more than happy with how it handles those conditions with snow tires. A bonus is it can handle some pretty decent hunting situations chasing grouse and whitetail around me.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Get a manual 6 Spd C4 or C5 Corvette. I get 33mpg on long trips on the highway, short trips I get 28. Then get yourself a pair of white new balances, a bowler shirt and a copy of Corvette Summer or American Graffiti and you will be ready for summer car shows

Jethro

WKR
I had a civic it was a great car. Got rid of it at 342K 5 years ago. I now drive a Honda Fit manual transmission to work. Nice little commuter for my township/county roads. If I had a big highway commute I would look Civic. Its no better or worse than any front wheel drive car in snow. If it snows I take the truck.

If I may add, if I have to drive in the snow with my Civic I put 3 or 4 bags of water softener salt across the floor in the trunk and it helps the back end not wiggle in the snow.

The Accords and Camrys always felt more solid to me than the Civics and Corollas. It'd be worth it to me to go mid-size sedan.

bobinmi

WKR
civic or corolla. Unless you're a big dude then I may upgrade. I don't love the comfort of my corolla but I've never had to anything but normally scheduled maintenance.

LoggerDan

WKR
I’m pretty happy with the old lady’s Subaru cross trek hybrid. Good mileage, been trouble free except for a headlight, good braking, good heater. I can air down the tires and drive on a sandy beach and it handles winter trips from anchorage to sterling no problem.

Yoder

WKR
Had several Civics, all problem free. My 2008 was running great at 285k when my step son totaled it. Wife's 2018 Corolla has had zero issues I think she's at 120k. My 2013 Mazda 3 has been awesome. Just hit 215k, only brakes, tires and some minor front suspension issues from smashing pot holes. All have timing chains not belts. I put about 30k on a car per year so I never buy cars with timing belts. The Corolla gets the best mpg. That averages 35, the older Civics would get 32, My Mazda 3 is manual transmission to it's a little lower at 30. All are decent in a couple inches of snow with good tires. Any more than that is a problem. I seen the newer Mazda 3's are available in awd. I think that will be my next car.