Best long range hunting 6mm bullet?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
anyone have any experience with the 115 dtacs with the nose ring? having a 6gt built and this is what I plan on using.

More to the point from my response above- I/we have used them from 3,000’ish FPS impact to 1,600’ish FPS impact and above 2,300-2,400fps impact fragmentation usually occurs- sometimes yawing (tumbling). Below 2,300’ish- penetrating 4 to 7 inches then yawing (tumbling) is the most common behavior.

More to the point from my response above- I/we have used them from 3,000’ish FPS impact to 1,600’ish FPS impact and above 2,300-2,400fps impact fragmentation usually occurs- sometimes yawing (tumbling). Below 2,300’ish- penetrating 4 to 7 inches then yawing (tumbling) is the most common behavior.
To beat a dead horse, or rather a sheep.. a 200 lb Ram I suppose is more akin to a Mule Deer than an Elk. If you were hunting sheep or Mt Goats Form, with ranges out to 700 yards and an impact velocity of 1800-2000 fps, perhaps you might choose an ELD-M over the DTAC? I’d hate to end up with a bullet that is penciling through like a mono when the body cavity isn’t that big on a sheep.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
To beat a dead horse, or rather a sheep.. a 200 lb Ram I suppose is more akin to a Mule Deer than an Elk. If you were hunting sheep or Mt Goats Form, with ranges out to 700 yards and an impact velocity of 1800-2000 fps, perhaps you might choose an ELD-M over the DTAC? I’d hate to end up with a bullet that is penciling through like a mono when the body cavity isn’t that big on a sheep.

ELD-M or X without question. The 112gr Barnes MatchBurner is ideally suited to deer/sheep/goats as well.

CJC73

FNG

True and good example.

I wouldn't use this rifle for that application. I'm talking along the lines of whitetails from 75-200 yards, so the velocity stated it should work just fine.