Best long range hunting 6mm bullet?

Unckebob

WKR
105gr Berger Hunting VLDs is my favourite.
They have performed flalessly for me in a number of African plainsgame animals from Springbucks to (one) Eland with Blesboks, Wildebeest and Oryx in between.
Largest shots in the 500-650 yds range.

I have a box of that ammo on my shelves. I have not shot it yet because it allegedly breaks up quickly and I like pass through shots. Are you getting pass throughs?

Last edited:

Tyrus001

FNG
Shot two does out to 200 last year with 70gr hammers. Rebarreled to a 23” 1:7.5 twist for my 243. I’ve got 87Gr absolute hammers loaded to 3348 for this year. Can’t wait!

28bang

WKR
110 a tips work great so far. Two black bears, one at 50 yds and the other at 100. And one mule deer at 544

chamois

FNG
I have a box of that ammo on my shelves. I have not loaded it yet because it allegedly breaks up quickly and I like pass through shots. Are you getting pass throughs?
Sorry to be so late but I did not see your post until now.
I have used them in cull hunts in South Africa and Namibia and got almost a 100% of pass throughs when Springbucks, Warthogs adn Impalas. Moving up to Blesboks about 20-30% of them stayed inside, and with the larger Oryx, and Wildebeest they very seldom went out the other side.
In all cases, regardless they passed or not, they produced a lot of damage and always penetrated deep enough even after breaking the humerous of a Wildebeest or Oryx.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is the kind of testing the VLDs went through. This is a morning hunt for springbucks in which I made a side by side comparison against 105gr AMaxes.

If I remember correctly, you had shorter runs with the VLD’s compared to the Amax’s, correct?

chamois

FNG
Hola, Formid!
Always glad to read you and learn from your experience.
On Springbucks, not one VLD stayed inside while one out of every three or four AMaxes did.
Both killed quite well but, you remember well, the VLD killed them faster producing shorter runs.
On Warthogs, I got about 70% of pass throughs, which surprised me a bit with these hard skinned, stout animals.
Also on warthogs, the 90gr Accubond seemed to produce more damage and kill better/faster only at the shorter distances. From 250 or 300 yards onwards they did not do much damage, far less than the VLD.
Overall, the VLD was the clear winner.
For me, it is a great killer.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hola, Formid!
Always glad to read you and learn from your experience.
On Springbucks, not one VLD stayed inside while one out of every three or four AMaxes did.
Both killed quite well but, you remember well, the VLD killed them faster producing shorter runs.
On Warthogs, I got about 70% of pass throughs, which surprised me a bit with these hard skinned, stout animals.
Also on warthogs, the 90gr Accubond seemed to produce more damage and kill better/faster only at the shorter distances. From 250 or 300 yards onwards they did not do much damage, far less than the VLD.
Overall, the VLD was the clear winner.
For me, it is a great killer.

Thank you sir! My experience matches yours- on game that you don’t really care about an exit, the 105gr VLD kills very well.

chamois

FNG
Thank you sir! My experience matches yours- on game that you don’t really care about an exit, the 105gr VLD kills very well.
Not only I don’t care about an exit, I neither care for the looks of a recovered bullet. Here is a VLD and two Accubonds recovered from warthogs. The VLD, ugly as it is, was a far better killer. No weight retention, no mushroom…
E83240FE-13BF-4822-BCB3-6622811E71E2.jpeg