Best Non Fiction Mountain Man Books

This is the second time that I saw some refer to Crow Killer as non-fiction. I'm pretty sure it is fiction.
The author presents it as non-fiction based primarily on firsthand accounts from Johnson's trapping partner Del Gue. The veracity of these accounts, however, is highly questionable.

Kinda mountain man focused, but mostly about his entire life where trapping was an early focus. He’s essentially the original Forest Gump (minus being low IQ): Kit Carson in Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crow killer was good. True story of Jeremiah Johnson.
I also second Alaska's Wolfman. Favorite book of all time.

The beginning of the most recent version has a big disclaimer how much of the content was exaggerated, speculation, and unconfirmed stories….

I couldn’t get past that and haven’t picked it up since.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Not a mountain man book, but a great read all the same. The Pistoleer by James Carlos Blake.

John Fraley Hero’s of the Bob Marshall wilderness and rangers, trappers, and trailblazers. Both are excellent

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Hell, I was there by Elmer Keith. Not entirely in the mountains, a life story of a mountain man and the title is accurate.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Narrative of the Adventures of Zenas Leonard

Journal of a Trapper by Osbourne Russell

Undaunted Courage by Ambrose (it’s about the Lewis and Clark expedition)

John Colter and his time in the Rockies

Just to name a few
+1 on Journal of a Trapper. Outstanding.

UC was also good. Very readable account of that expedition.

Haven't read the others.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Also,

Fifty Years Below Zero by Charles Brower. An autobiography by a white guy who lived with the Alaska natives starting in the 1870s. My copy was published in the 1940s so it may be hard to find, but it's a great story.

Sources of the River by Jack Nisbet. An account of David Thompson. He explored the entire Columbia River and much of southern Canada and NW US 20 years before the Lewis and Clark expedition. In fact , they used some of his maps.

If you want a really crazy mountain man story you never hear of pick up a book called:

"Soldiers and Traveler: Memoirs of Alexander Gardner"

It is the accounts of Alex Gardner who was born in Wisconsin and was one of the first westerners to travel through Afghanistan and Pakistan in the early 1800s. He was a mercenary and worked for a number of tribal chieftains and warlords. He has some pretty harrowing accounts of being hunted in high passes and fighting in brutal tribal feuds. Eventually he made his way to the Punjab and worked for the Sikh Khalsa army and was part of the civil war and crazy intrigue and assassinations that happened after Runjeet Singh died. He is hands down one of the most interesting historical figures that have gone under the radar by most mainstream sources.

1672201395908.png

Here is the amazon link as the book is pretty hard to find.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, that Elmer Keith book is expensive!
Yes it is. It was recommended to me by a buddy who stated “it will be expensive if you can find it, but it is the only book that I’ve ever finished and turned back to page 1 and read it again”

Z Barebow

WKR
I am going to repeat a few already mentioned.

Journal of a Trapper- Cool. He trapped the Yellowstone area before anyone called it Yellowstone. It takes a bit to get used to vocabulary, as it is direct writings from his journal.

Undaunted Courage-Stephen Ambrose. Lewis & Clark Core of Discovery. Also includes Jefferson's point of view. FANTASTIC! I live in ND and learned more about Lewis & Clark than the previous 50+ years of my life. I cannot fathom anyone in modern era having the fortitude of the members of the Core of Discovery. (Including Sakajawea. She was infinitely stronger than her husband)

Last edited:

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with a lot of the above recommendations. I’d also suggest “When the Dogs Bark Treed,” by Elliot Barker.