Best overall freeze dried food brands? Ty

ams30gts

FNG
I've only tried Mountain House and Wise which are both pretty good. Some meals better than others etc. Guess I should try Peak now too.

All have their “good ones”. Mountain House have the longest dates which is usually 10-20 years, other brands have shorter years which really isn’t a prob if you plan to eat them all in a few years.

Mountain House has never let me down. Several other brand pouches have let me down with pouch durability and some of their quality control isn’t as stringent (ate one meal day 1 and perfect - followed up with the second meal day 4 and it was awful).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I'm late but it's my favorite so I'm gonna throw it in here: Backpacker's pantry mac and cheese, with some bacon bits tossed in!

I like backpacker's pantry because they are local to me (and can be found fairly cheaply) but also use Peak Refuel quite a bit. I wish one of these backpacking food companies would start making single serving packages. I've been splitting them in freezer bags which work fine. Just don't like that much food at the end of the day when I'm backpacking for some reason.

Churro

FNG
I’ve tried a handful of the peak refuel and the only 2 I liked (all were edible) were the chicken alfredo and the biscuits and gravy. I could eat the biscuits and gravy every morning while camping.

Packit breakfast tacos were good as well but a little more involved. It needed a pan, oil and actual cooking. Not just pouring in hot water.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
As everyone has already mentioned Peak refueling is a really good option. You can also try MH of course. Stowaway Gourmet is nice too but then again I think the increasing prices are making them a lil non-recommendable.

AdamLewis

FNG
Stowaway Gourmet is nice too but then again I think the increasing prices are making them a lil non-recommendable.
I ordered a few meals from them in January and they never shipped, never replied to emails....nothing. Had to file a dispute with my bank.

Not sure what is up with them, their stuff was quite good, but it looks like they've gone off the rails.

I'm a fan of peak myself. Admittedly I haven't tried evry single brand out there, but from the 3-4 brands I have tried Peak is in the lead for me. They all have good options with good flavor and will get the job done though

I think I’ve probably tried about half a dozen different brands, mostly MH, and Peak is for sure my favorite so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Peak is my go to after trying many, and living off of MREs on the fire crews. Chicken Pesto, Chicken Alfredo, Biscuits and Gravy and the Beef Marinara are my favorites

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I would recommend against Mountain House Chili Mac unless you're hunting solo. ;)

Peak and Mountain House has been good like many others have mentioned. For freeze dried pastas, it's easy to add foil packs of chicken or tuna for more protein. I also bring powdered garlic, which seems to high grade almost any freeze dried meal. YMMV though.
OMIGOD I had one of those chili macs last year while hunting in MT. The next morning was a bit rugged.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
Peak is one of the only decent ones. Tried heathers choice last year, was not very good. Tried Good to Go meals, two different varieties and had to throw them out after a few bites.

I’m not sure what it is with reviews sometimes with these add water meals, do people not eat decent food at home to know the difference? 5 stars it was awesome!! DELICIOUS! Almost like grandma‘s cooking!

TFrank

WKR
I ordered a few meals from them in January and they never shipped, never replied to emails....nothing. Had to file a dispute with my bank.

Not sure what is up with them, their stuff was quite good, but it looks like they've gone off the rails.
This happened to me as well but after the 3rd email they magically shipped. They listed prematurely they where shipped but they hadn’t been. Never did once respond to any of my concerns. Unreasonable amount of wait time.

Their Thai shrimp curry is the best flavored backcountry meal I have ever had (some mild texture concerns but flavor is excellent)

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
Peak. I spent 17 days in the frank last year and literally ate every meal in their line and I was excited to eat every day. I can’t say the same for MH, heathers, or backpackers pantry rediculous endless curry meals (nobody likes cumin that much after a week!-) Peak breakfast skillet with tortillas and hot sauce is good for two big burritos, and the biscuits n gravy is heaven after a packout sleep in. Don’t buy granola meals though… It’s too damn spendy when you can just portion out your favorite granola and dried berries with NIDO dehydrated milk. I do morning summit granola from Costco with cranberries or other dried fruit, and 2scoops of NIDO and you have a creamy milky fruity granola with a little added water in a lighter than their package ziplock. Wayyy better and much cheaper. Try this you will agree guaranteed.

For me, MH lasagna a little short on water so it's thicker. Peak Pesto also shorted on water is good. I saw somebody above recommend putting instant taders in there and that seems like a fantastic idea.

Poochie

FNG
The peak refuel range is great. And they have plenty to choose from.
I really like their home style chicken and rice. It’s high protein and made with real chicken. Some of the cheaper brands can be suspect! Oh yeah, it comes with a tasty creamy sauce

Arthas

FNG
Mountain house is fine for me when I want a freeze dried meal. I tend to go with rice, ramen, or other options a lot of more tho. Only want a freeze dried like once every 3 days or so.