Best path forward

DanM

FNG
Hey all!!!

Input requested: Have a Remington 700 DBM SS in 300 Weatherby magnum. It is all stock – 300 rounds through the barrel plus/minus. It has a composite stock, no threading, and the barrel is pencil thin – 0.662” at muzzle. Limited funds to invest into it and trying to decide the best alternatives: Stock, threading, Suppressor, etc. Which comes first? I have been debating about a Boyd’s stock – minimal investment – better recoil management, possibly better accuracy with solid base, and potential weight mitigating recoil and others? Debating about converting to a BDL system but the investment of that is almost as much as the stock. Recoil management is a key factor but I can not invest in all things at once. I thought I would start with the stock – solid foundation, then look at the threading, and finally Muzzle Brake/Suppressor.

Any constructive input would be appreciated.

I would sell it and buy something else less recoil, non magnum....

If not I would get a Bell and Carlson composite stock (good value next step up would be HS precision), get a new barrel first if you change the chamber and contour, maybe a 300 prc if you want to stay in 30 cal, but I would suggest a 7 PRC (if old school go 7RM. if you reload I'd go 257 Weatherby mag!). order the barrel threaded and to your preferred length. then you can use a break for recoil (and go deaf) or go suppressor if you have the funds.

The easiest way I have seen to change a barrel is send your rifle to McGowens and let them make the barrel and change it in house. (Remage nut will be less If you have the tools and knowledge)

Last edited:

Boltgun

FNG
A suppressor will be the biggest value added, but that’s tough to recognize if you haven’t been around them much. In the plus side, wait times for suppressors after paying tax/theft are greatly reduced these days.

It sounds like you have a nice pickup, but you’re asking what to mod to make it a track car. You can improve things, but you’re likely better off starting with something closer to your needs.

OP
DanM

DanM

FNG
Thanks for the input. Can not say I have been exposed to the suppressor realm but the investment becomes even more exponential. I appreciate the comments about selling it, but the part I did not include is I already own a 7RM, so the 7 PRC might be more appealing to some, my 7RM is a fantastic gun and caliber for all I am going to do. I would like to keep the 30 caliber if possible and I have researched the 300 prc - would be proportional - but that requires more investment - action requires Gunsmith costs, new bottom metal, new magazines, etc. So again to minimize the overall investment seems to be a dilemma.

SloppyJ

WKR
Sell it and buy another rifle of your choice and a suppressor to match. I think you'd be much happier. Not sure what your use case is so it's a bit tough to make suggestions.

If you keep the 300wby you'll be fighting recoil management forever and you'll never win. Something cheaper to shoot with a better barrel life would allow you to practice more as well.

Normally I'd say suppressor first over everything. But unfortunately the route you'll be happiest going in the end is selling it + buying something in a much smaller cartridge.

ElPollo

WKR
I sold my 300 mag in January. There was nothing that I really needed that horsepower to kill and it just wasn’t that fun to shoot. I’d suggest selling it. Buy a can or better optics. Much better investment that you get more dividends from.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Recoil management is a key factor but I can not invest in all things at once
If better recoil management is your goal, and you seek to minimize the investment, your best answer is simply to sell the 300wby for a smaller cartridge.

As evidenced/discussed on this forum a lot, a smaller cartridge leads to easier shooting, leading to better shooting, leading to more success in the field, so on so forth. As mentioned above, there is nothing a 30 cal will do that you can't do with 7mm or even 6.5mm.

selling your rifle for, say $1k, and buying a Browning Hells Canyon, Tikka Roughtek, Bergara B14, etc. in 7prc/6.5prc would give you a better stock, trigger, muzzle threads, and lighter recoiling cartridge all at a deficit of less than $500

Thanks for the input. Can not say I have been exposed to the suppressor realm but the investment becomes even more exponential. I appreciate the comments about selling it, but the part I did not include is I already own a 7RM, so the 7 PRC might be more appealing to some, my 7RM is a fantastic gun and caliber for all I am going to do. I would like to keep the 30 caliber if possible
Cheapest way to significantly cut recoil is a proven muzzle break. You can have it threaded for a break and timed. Will be a huge improvement, just be sure to wear ear pro all the time.

Do you reload? other way is to just build a lighter load with powder/bullet combo
What stock is currently on the rifle? you said composite- who made it? What stock does your 7RM have that you like?

You are very short on details- how many rifles do you own? calibers? why do you want this particular rifle? caliber? Is it to target shoot?, hunt? what species? how far? What is the end goal? Also what is your budget?

Do you have muzzle breaks on other rifles? radial break? directional? baffles? How often do you shoot?

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Sell it. A brake on a 300 WBY is unbelievably loud and a suppressor with a 26 inch barrel it’s like carrying around a pole vault. most good Weatherby ammo starts at $100 a box.

TaperPin

WKR
If you like it there’s no reason to get rid of it.

Getting a barrel cut and/or threaded isn’t a big deal - it’s just one of the expenses of getting a can. Guys say a can will cut down on recoil a noticeable amount.

I don’t know that a new stock will feel much better than what you have now, as far as recoil. If your heart is set on changing to a BDL system, it makes sense to do it before a new stock. Since it’s a factory detachable model I don’t know that your rifle has the normal receiver feed rails that a BDL does. If so the work around to make it work is instead of using the normal BDL magazine, you might need a Wyatt’s center feed internal box magazine kit that doesn’t need receiver feed rails to function.

The downside to a center feed internal magazine is loading - many people pop the floorplate and load from the bottom - seems like a big hassle but that’s the trade off.

OP
DanM

DanM

FNG
All great advise. Just what I asked for. To answer most replies, I only have three rifles: the 300, 7mm Rem Mag and a 25-06. That's it. I have thought of keeping the 300 and saving it for a possible re-fit - 6.5 PRC maybe? Not sure at this time. But the consensus seems to be put the 300 away and invest in the 7 RM and possibly another if funds allow.

robtattoo

WKR
Yeah, everything that requires a big magnum you have covered with your 7mm.
In your shoes I'd move on the Weatherby & grab something smaller, lighter, cheaper & more fun to shoot. .223/.308/7-08 & 6.5 creed would all be at the tippy top of my list. You could easily buy a quality example of any of those for the cost of making most useful mods to the .300

You've said nothing about the rifle's current attributes. Is it sufficiently accurate?

A brake is an easy and cheap'ish way to reduce recoil, if you want to be married to ear protection.

TaperPin

WKR
All great advise. Just what I asked for. To answer most replies, I only have three rifles: the 300, 7mm Rem Mag and a 25-06. That's it. I have thought of keeping the 300 and saving it for a possible re-fit - 6.5 PRC maybe? Not sure at this time. But the consensus seems to be put the 300 away and invest in the 7 RM and possibly another if funds allow.
You might think about a training rifle that’s inexpensive and more fun to shoot a lot, like a 223 or 243, or even 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor. What you’ll save in ammo or reloading components will eventually pay for the smaller rifle.

That's neat you have a 25-06! I've always wanted a quarter bore but already have too many rifles. I'd say you are pretty covered on the smaller caliber with that.

The main thing I see missing is a big bore! sell the 300wby and get a 375 for Africa! Unfortunately that wouldn't help in the recoil department :ROFLMAO:

Have a terminator brake on my 300rum. Not much more recoil than my 243, although it is an exhausting gun to shoot very much with. Also not a gun I would ever risk a shot without having ear plugs.

While the power is addicting, big guns just suck to shoot. Why dont you have a 223 and/or a 243/ creedmoor?