Best Puffy jacket???

Jazzbo66

FNG
Hey guys I need some help for you that have experience in all the big brands of hunting gear and maybe some mountaineering. I’m looking to replace my Firstlite uncompahgre. I want a mid season layered season option. I like the FL but it’s just not cutting it. Any good options I should look at? I prefer something with out a hood but not a deal breaker

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I need some help for you that have experience in all the big brands of hunting gear and maybe some mountaineering. I’m looking to replace my Firstlite uncompahgre. I want a mid season layered season option. I like the FL but it’s just not cutting it. Any good options I should look at? I prefer something with out a hood but not a deal breaker

Temperature range? Conditions/location? Active or static piece? Recommendations can change a lot depending on a number of factors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jazzbo66

Jazzbo66

FNG
Whitetail hunting 40-20* walking in to the stand and sitting in stand. Midwest

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the sitka kelvin lite puffy and kuiu super down pro. For archery hunting from a stand I’ve used the sitka jacket. It makes minimal noise compared to the kuiu. I wouldn’t recommend the kuiu for archery- it is too noisy. With that being said, I love the kuiu for rifle hunting.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Most puffys that will actually keep you warm use louder than most want for hunting face material. I’d recommend a warm puffy with a fleece mid layer over it.

You’ll be happy with the first lite Chamberlin, in its price point it’s one of the warmest puffy jackets.

My favorite grid fleece mid layer is the Patagonia R1 Air Hoody. This is an extremely versatile piece that can be used for high exertion backpacking hunts or as a breathable warm mid layer. In your case, throwing this over the puffy will keep it nice and quiet.

Lowg08

WKR
I have tried all of them for this exact situation. Do yourself a favor. Just buy bibs and jacket. I finally did. I’ve got mine down to what I need. New solitude. Klamath fuse or furnace and catalyst foundry and fuse or foundry. I tried to make the puffy work. If your dead set. Your best options are the under armour alpine ops down hoodie or the kuiu kenai.

*zap*

WKR
Sitka Kelvin down ws is the warmest jacket. Sitka fanatic bibs are my favorite bib but the cabelas stand hunter bibs are warmer....but heavier.
Weight to warmth Kelvin down all the way.

Last edited:

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second the Sitka Kelvin Down WS for warmth. Really nice jacket. It is loud though if that is important.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I love my SG puffy but honestly, for whitetail in the Midwest, probably a stratus or fanatic jacket. Much more quiet and durable.

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
Arcteryx puffies are outstanding if u don’t need camo. Use mine as a layer.

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
Most puffys that will actually keep you warm use louder than most want for hunting face material. I’d recommend a warm puffy with a fleece mid layer over it.

You’ll be happy with the first lite Chamberlin, in its price point it’s one of the warmest puffy jackets.

My favorite grid fleece mid layer is the Patagonia R1 Air Hoody. This is an extremely versatile piece that can be used for high exertion backpacking hunts or as a breathable warm mid layer. In your case, throwing this over the puffy will keep it nice and quiet.

This is what I’m doing. This year I’ve been using my Uncompahgre vest with the Klamath grid fleece over the top. Surprised at how quiet it has been for bow hunting.

fatlander

WKR
There’s not a puffy on earth quiet enough for whitetail hunting in November with a bow.

Warm, quiet, light: you can only pick 2.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
yea I’d avoid the puffy for stand hunting whitetails. I’ve run the FL solitude set in that range. With some warm baselayers and a vest, I’ve been toasty down to 10-15 degrees. 40 is run them with the lightest base layers you have.