Alternative to Sitka Mountain Jacket

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve really been a fan of the mountain jacket (old style, no hood). I’ve outgrown it though and would prefer something in a solid color anyway. I was initially thinking of getting the new evo jacket but not crazy about the changes with no wind proofing on the back. I found myself wearing this jacket quite a bit late season Chukar hunting to cut the wind while not being bulky. Also used it quite a bit mid season deer hunting to stuff/strap to pack and throw on while glassing just to take the chill off. Is there anything else I should consider for a light, wind resistant, packable-ish, outer layer that could also breathe reasonably well while doing some high exertion cold/windy late season chukar hunting? I’m all ears. I’m not opposed to finding this exact jacket in a size up but figured I’d put it out there for the gear junkies to help me decide!

I tried to sell my mountain jacket and after looking through everything and wearing my mountain jacket hunting, I decided it’s not worth it.
Super light and fully windproof. Great piece for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
4cMuley

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Any non hunting brands to try? Jetstream is sorta heavy and not very packable. Looking for a good technical wind layer more than anything

Before anyone says rain jacket - not risking beating up my rain gear anymore than it already does.

OP
4cMuley

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to sell my mountain jacket and after looking through everything and wearing my mountain jacket hunting, I decided it’s not worth it.
Super light and fully windproof. Great piece for me!

That’s a great point. Wish it came in a solid.

I have a size large open country for sale in the classifieds.. (shameless plug). May need to find an xl

prm

WKR
I’m not that familiar with the old Mountain Jacket, so I may be off here. What about a Kuiu Kenai or axis hybrid (probably more than what you’re describing)?

wnelson14

WKR
FL corrugate guide jacket or ridgeline, mountain hardware trail sender or they have multiple pieces that would work, Outdoor vitals, Marmont and Outdoor research also have similar items.

OR Ferrossi jacket but it’s not wind proof. The mountain jacket has never been wind proof to my knowledge but the jetstream lite was. Wish they still made the jetstream lite, it was fantastic

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
There's a really good thread on wind layers if you want to read through that. Lots of options for really lightweight jackets that breath but cut the wind. I use the kor preshell which is 5 oz and works great. Also have the ferossi which is good but closer to 14 oz and less windproof. Heard great things about the alpine start. All cheaper options than Sitka but no camo.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Jack84

FNG
Classified Approved
Evo is a solid option. Breathes very good well cutting the wind and handling some light rain/ snow. I’m with you on wishing it didn’t have a hood tho.

OP
4cMuley

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Evo is a solid option. Breathes very good well cutting the wind and handling some light rain/ snow. I’m with you on wishing it didn’t have a hood tho.
The hood doesn’t bother me a ton it’s that they didn’t put Gore-Tex on the back panel. I can see why they did it. Everything’s a compromise

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Black Diamond Alpine Start is worth a look see; it's not as windproof as Gore Windstopper, BUT it breathes better while still doing a pretty good job of blocking wind; it's also pretty light without being so light you have to worry constantly about ripping the fabric.

My personal opinion is a wind layer w/o a hood is non-starter.

If I have a pack on (which is most of the time), the Evo is pretty darn handy.

Alpine Start over a Sitka Ambient UL and base layer- light winds and single digits (last week)

AW3Ijjd.jpg

Fan of the older mountain jacket too. Not enough miles in my EVO to pass judgement yet. It is a cool piece of kit, but not a direct replacement for the older mountain jacket In some ways.

someone mentioned above, but take a look at the OR Ferrosi jacket. I love mine. Not as much wind or water resistance as the old mountain jacket but more breathable. Definitely my favorite light weather out layer and it can be mixed and matched with insulation or more water proof shells for worse weather. For light non hunting hikes, I pair mine with thin fleece top, puffy and DCF poncho to handle everything from wind to wet to cold.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve really been a fan of the mountain jacket (old style, no hood). I’ve outgrown it though and would prefer something in a solid color anyway. I was initially thinking of getting the new evo jacket but not crazy about the changes with no wind proofing on the back. I found myself wearing this jacket quite a bit late season Chukar hunting to cut the wind while not being bulky. Also used it quite a bit mid season deer hunting to stuff/strap to pack and throw on while glassing just to take the chill off. Is there anything else I should consider for a light, wind resistant, packable-ish, outer layer that could also breathe reasonably well while doing some high exertion cold/windy late season chukar hunting? I’m all ears. I’m not opposed to finding this exact jacket in a size up but figured I’d put it out there for the gear junkies to help me decide!
Check Out FORLOH: 100% sourced and made in America with a lifetime warranty

Check Out FORLOH: 100% sourced and made in America with a lifetime warranty

Which jacket would you recommend to replace his mountain jacket?

The hood doesn’t bother me a ton it’s that they didn’t put Gore-Tex on the back panel. I can see why they did it. Everything’s a compromise

While sheep hunting this year, I discovered the greatness of that panel.

The Bad-take off your pack and turn you back into the wind you can feel wind cut through,

the Good - that panel kept my back drier then ever before, but what moisture I did get was quickly gone, if I just dropped my pack and let it breath for second.

Paired with the Ambient its a pretty impressive active system.