Best Semi-Recent Tundra Years?

Btaylor

WKR
I did think of one thing I had to "fix" the chrome rings around the AC vents would blind me when the sun hit them just right. I bought these silly rings in matte black to get rid of the problem

May have to get a set of those. :)

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Great info, guys, keep it coming.

Thoughts on a few of the comments--though I don't have towing plans, you never know, so the transmission cooler would be nice to have. I don't know that I'd be interested in all the "nanny" stuff so probably will stay at 2018 or older. I do want a double cab, as I just want a larger, more functional bed, and we don't really have a need for max rear seat leg room.

I know the fuel economy isn't great but I've accepted that as for me, the reliability tradeoff is worth it. And I'm an old guy, no lead feet and not intending to run larger tires, so my MPG may be better than some of you younger users!

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I had an 08 and 15 tundra, 12 Tacoma, and 17 4 runner. I like my 08 with navigation upgrade the best.

I have an "08 with 255,000+ miles, runs great, daily driver/commuter. Other than a new starter last year, nothing repaired. If I keep the speed under 70 on the highways, I can get 15.5 - 16.5. Just filled up yesterday and math said 15.35 mpg, but that included city driving and 50ish miles at 75 mph.

ODB

WKR
Great info, guys, keep it coming.

Thoughts on a few of the comments--though I don't have towing plans, you never know, so the transmission cooler would be nice to have. I don't know that I'd be interested in all the "nanny" stuff so probably will stay at 2018 or older. I do want a double cab, as I just want a larger, more functional bed, and we don't really have a need for max rear seat leg room.

I know the fuel economy isn't great but I've accepted that as for me, the reliability tradeoff is worth it. And I'm an old guy, no lead feet and not intending to run larger tires, so my MPG may be better than some of you younger users!

the nanny stuff doesn’t really get in the way. I will say the nanny traction voodoo on mine makes driving in the snow light years easier than my no-nanny 2002.

Don’t fear the nanny, or what the nannies might call you for being pro-nanny. Plus you can turn most if not all the nannies off.

Last edited:
My '13 Tundra has 199,00K and the only thing replaced has been the alternator and air injection pumps. I have the 4.6 and it gets 16.5 average mixed city/highway. They are the most reliable truck platform on average.

Unckebob

WKR
I have a 2021 (last year with the big V8). I love it except for the shitty gas mileage. But, I bought it because I wanted a v8 while they were still available.

I didn't want a twin turbo or 10 Speed Tranny.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I got my '16 in May. I have two complaints. One, well.......automatic transmissions in general.......I hate them. You would think that a 381hp engine wouldn't have to downshift while going 80mph on a 1-2 degree slope. Just keep the speed already. Sheesh. So last night after it doing that multiple times, I switched it to "sequential" shifting and put it in "6th". RPM's dropped to about 2100......great. Then two seconds later, there it is downshifting again up to 3000rpm while in "sequential"......SMH. I thought the sequential shift option was like a "manual" where I tell it to shift......or not.

Second, the "distance to empty" display doesn't seem to take into account the actual average MPG. On every fill-up it shows 461 miles to empty and counts down from there regardless what mileage I'm actually getting (38 gal tank). The last tank it showed 0 miles to empty and it still had 10 gallons left in it.

Bluumoon

WKR
07, 170k. Oversized tires chewed through some critical wiring on front driver side, that's on me. Other than that no major issues. At this point I'd rather pay for a little extra gas, she's thirsty, than make a car payment.

HookUp

WKR
I was in this situation and went with a brand new 2022 Tundra, July will be 1 year and so far so good. I dont love the seats, they arent that comfy. They are heated and vented which is great. I do love the massive info-tainment center and 360 camera system. For navigation, running ONX in real time and streaming netflix on long road trips makes this truck worth it. I'm getting abut 18 mpg on road trips 75 mph including mountain passes. I am a buy the older and used guy except vehicles. Buy new take care of them and make them last. I went ahead and grabbed the 100K warranty just in case being a gen 1, but so far zero issues.

IdahoElk

WKR
I got my '16 in May. I have two complaints. One, well.......automatic transmissions in general.......I hate them. You would think that a 381hp engine wouldn't have to downshift while going 80mph on a 1-2 degree slope. Just keep the speed already. Sheesh. So last night after it doing that multiple times, I switched it to "sequential" shifting and put it in "6th". RPM's dropped to about 2100......great. Then two seconds later, there it is downshifting again up to 3000rpm while in "sequential"......SMH. I thought the sequential shift option was like a "manual" where I tell it to shift......or not.

Second, the "distance to empty" display doesn't seem to take into account the actual average MPG. On every fill-up it shows 461 miles to empty and counts down from there regardless what mileage I'm actually getting (38 gal tank). The last tank it showed 0 miles to empty and it still had 10 gallons left in it.
Stock tire size?

ODB

WKR

Your last comment is interesting. I recently got 21 gallons in mine, and both the vehicle MPG and my math said I got 16.5 mpg thus far. So, if I’m getting an average of 16.5 MPG, my 38 gallon tank should get me 627 miles. Yet I have never seen my tank range over about 509 miles.

My 2021 is 100% stock.

If it wasn’t my truck I’d love to run it to empty to see how far it would go…

I had a 2018 TRD Off Road Double cab. I now have a 2020 1794. Both have been solid. I drive like an old man, so I get 18/19 highway.

Reactions: ODB

SloppyJ

WKR
I had one for a few years. The generation before the newest with the 5.7 is what I had and what I would get if I ever get one again. Do not expect good mileage though. That's one thing that they are not good at. I moved on to a 6.2 Silverado. I missed some of the creature comforts but I bought my Tundra new and that was and probably will be the only vehicle I ever make money on. I sold it for $3k more than I paid for it brand new with 60k miles on it.

Your last comment is interesting. I recently got 21 gallons in mine, and both the vehicle MPG and my math said I got 16.5 mpg thus far. So, if I’m getting an average of 16.5 MPG, my 38 gallon tank should get me 627 miles. Yet I have never seen my tank range over about 509 miles.

My 2021 is 100% stock.

I bought my 1794 with 10k miles on it. If you are consistent, the computer will adjust. For the first couple fill ups it was showing like 400 miles to empty. It now consistently shows 540ish. I am pretty sure on a 38 gallon tank, that 8 of it is the “reserve”, so miles to empty is based on 30 gal.

2017 Double Cab Limited TRD Offroad, 5.7 liter. I added a topper and roof rack on both the cab and topper. Had it for a couple years now. Bought it with 40k miles, I think I'm now at 65k. Things I'm not a fan of:
1: rough ride, seems to have a lot of "bed bounce"
2: Terrible gas milage
3: no drivers side "oh sh!t" handle
4: way too much chrome
5: Audio system is terrible

All these things besides the gas mileage can be be easlily addressed\upgraded but dont really want to spend the money on right now. Other than that I really love that truck. Hope it lasts as long as people tell me they do.

ODB

WKR
I bought my 1794 with 10k miles on it. If you are consistent, the computer will adjust. For the first couple fill ups it was showing like 400 miles to empty. It now consistently shows 540ish. I am pretty sure on a 38 gallon tank, that 8 of it is the “reserve”, so miles to empty is based on 30 gal.

Copy that. I wonder too if my erasing the history affected it. Still love the truck though.

My 2021 is 100% stock.

I have a 19 with the big tank. If you get on the Toyota forums you’ll learn the truck has about 6 gallons of unusable fuel. I’m guessing it’s a poor design that doesn’t allow for reliable pickup. On fill up, I’m usually in the 430 DTE range.

Reactions: ODB