Best Semi-Recent Tundra Years?

Tmac

WKR
My 19 has been flawless for 65k. If you are going to do any towing, I think 16-18 is the sweet spot. They will have a decent tranny cooler and 16 iirc was the first year the 38 gallon gas tank was available in some models.

As far as problems, the 5.7 liter engine does have occasional issues with the cam tower covers leaking oil, check that closely, view through wheel well area. It is more of an irritant than anything else in most cases.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
I got my '16 in May. I have two complaints. One, well.......automatic transmissions in general.......I hate them. You would think that a 381hp engine wouldn't have to downshift while going 80mph on a 1-2 degree slope. Just keep the speed already. Sheesh. So last night after it doing that multiple times, I switched it to "sequential" shifting and put it in "6th". RPM's dropped to about 2100......great. Then two seconds later, there it is downshifting again up to 3000rpm while in "sequential"......SMH. I thought the sequential shift option was like a "manual" where I tell it to shift......or not.

Second, the "distance to empty" display doesn't seem to take into account the actual average MPG. On every fill-up it shows 461 miles to empty and counts down from there regardless what mileage I'm actually getting (38 gal tank). The last tank it showed 0 miles to empty and it still had 10 gallons left in it.
This is my biggest gripe too. If you disconnect the battery it will read out accurate again at the almost 600 miles to empty. Really wish that they would have the 8 gallon reserve show for mileage left.

mtmiller

WKR
Happy with my ‘16 5.7, 175,727 and only brakes to date….and signal bulb and gas cap.

Funny it was brought up. Had 0 miles to empty yesterday when I filled up and it took 29 and change gallons on my 38 gallon tank. I too would like to see how many miles I can drive with dashboard telling me I have no gas.😁

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I looked under the truck, and that 38gal tank is one looooong tank. I'm sure that's part of the issue. It needs all that reserve to make sure the pump is still covered and able to pick up fuel. I wouldn't want to run it to empty and risk burning up the pump. But that just about makes the 38gal tank almost mandatory IMO. I do like resetting the MPG and watching what my every move does to the average. If I just drive normal like I always have, the truck will get 11.5mpg around town. If I really make an effort to have a light foot, it will get over 14.

The last tank was about 50/50 highway and town and the average was 16.4 which I think is great for that engine. I was getting 17.5 doing 80+ on the highway with the cruise on. This week I'll have a bunch of 65mph roads, but more elevation changes so I'll see how that does. But overall I'm good with the mileage so far. My old Toyota with the V6 (1989) gets about 14-16mpg average these days with about 12-13 in town. And my 2001 F-350 PSD will get anywhere from 16-19mpg. So I'm used to crappy mileage......LOL.