Best trail cameras?

JakeT

Lil-Rokslider
Switched from tactacam to wiseeye this year and very happy. The photos are so much clearer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Buddha

FNG
Guardpro e5 on Amazon. May not be the best but they work. Lost 2 to bears, 1 stolen. Left 1 out all winter and it kept ticking. They have been solid and i will stay w them

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Yes on the Gardepro. Watch Amazon and eventually one of the models will go on sale for $39.95. They are a steal at that price.

Best is a subjective term. Best for what purpose? Best cellular plan? Best customer service? Best still subject picture quality? Best value? Best low light picture quality? Best moving subject picture quality?

The last question is a critical one to me. All of the cameras I have used from the cheapest on up have been able to give me the information I need on still or slow moving subjects. I am not looking for canvas grade photos. I want to know what is moving and when. None of them have been able to provide good quality photos of faster moving targets going perpendicular to the camera.

Been running trail cameras for years. The first ones were Stealth, then moved to Reconyx about 15 years ago. Reconyx are expensive, but each of the three are still running and stay out taking photos 24/7/365. Once cameras moved into the cell service era, I tried Cuddeback, at least for me they were difficult to setup along with more expensive cell service cost. Now I am sold on Tactacam, setup is easy, and monthly service cost very reasonable.

I have had fantastic luck with the Moultrie Mobile Edge. The app/cell service is extremely reliable in my area (no sim card required it picks up the service from the strongest provider when you turn it on). Videos and photos are nice. You can get 1000 photos and 10 videos a month for $10/cam. The nice thing about video mode is it sends you a thumbnail photo before you can request a video, so you have an idea if you actually want the video before you request 1 of your 10. You can frequently find these cameras on sale for $150 for a 2 pack if you are a little patient. My only gripe is the trigger speed seems a bit slow, by positioning the camera at an angle to the trail/activity I have really cut down on missed pictures. My father has 3 tactacams and I have 4 moultries, we will be switching over to all moultries this summer.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have had fantastic luck with the Moultrie Mobile Edge. The app/cell service is extremely reliable in my area (no sim card required it picks up the service from the strongest provider when you turn it on). Videos and photos are nice. You can get 1000 photos and 10 videos a month for $10/cam. The nice thing about video mode is it sends you a thumbnail photo before you can request a video, so you have an idea if you actually want the video before you request 1 of your 10. You can frequently find these cameras on sale for $150 for a 2 pack if you are a little patient. My only gripe is the trigger speed seems a bit slow, by positioning the camera at an angle to the trail/activity I have really cut down on missed pictures. My father has 3 tactacams and I have 4 moultries, we will be switching over to all moultries this summer.
I 2nd this. Been pretty happy with my Edges. Did have one fail but not in field. wouldn't power up after being at home for a month or so. They replaced promptly. They're a Rokslide advertiser but would have replaced for anyone. I was a little short of a year.

Just moved to the Edge Pro which has better AI to reduce false triggers on non target animals, and you can block out parts of the view if you have a branch setting of false triggers. Also has Live Aim which Bluetooths live image to your phone during set up so you can get the view you want in real time before leaving the cam.

I posted in October about Reconyx. I picked up a cell cam during black Friday that came with a free solar panel. After 3 weeks running it hunting I like it. I get a ton of pictures. I can also request HD pics for certain pics I want high detail. The only thing I wish they offered was ability to download videos through cell service. Other then that it's been great.

Sapcut

WKR
I have used many many trail cams since the Camtrakker in 1998. My go to camera now is the Camojojo Trace…..bar none. It is the boar hog of trail cams…..solid and well made.

It will send a video the 16th second of a 15 second video. The transmission is incredible as is the reception due to a very unique antenna.

It also will live stream on demand making for a great scouting tool.

https://bit.ly/3Gund8a

pirogue

WKR
I have used many many trail cams since the Camtrakker in 1998.
My first was a Leaf River that took several, both C and D batteries. Seemed like it weighed 10 lbs. and remember the crowd that promoted the 35mm film trail cams?

Sapcut

WKR
Oh yea. I remember when one hour photo wasn’t fast enough waiting on my 35 mm pictures of wind.

And no way on earth I was going to pay $500 for a digital camera. Nevaa

Yes on the Gardepro. Watch Amazon and eventually one of the models will go on sale for $39.95. They are a steal at that price.

3rd on Gardepro for SD card cams.

These suckers for $39.95 are functionally better in near every way besides size when compared to my fleet of $120 browning dark ops cams. Especially at night. I don't need more cams but they take so much better pics than my existing ones that i've started to phase them in because of how cheap they are.

Cell cams are great but they come with compromises. They eat batteries and miss a lot of deer. Tactacam are good for the $ but they have limitations with their detection sensors. I prefer Ridgetec for cell cams.

Nw2

FNG
Stealth cams have been my go to for awhile. The new deceptor take crazy good pictures and have had no issues

dlars97

FNG
Used to run moultrie, then I switched to browning a few years ago. I like them.