Best Wind Checker?

Fowl Play

WKR
So simple, yet so critical when it matters.

What's everyone's go to wind checker? Feel like there are 50 different companies that make some version of the tiny bottle with baby powder in it... feel like it should be simple, but ones I have require two hands to open cause the tabs so small, AND I have to shake the thing 5 times before anything will come out.

Anyone have one that's true one hand open/close and doesn't require you to shake the thing every time?

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
It really doesn’t matter what kind you get, they are all the same. After you use it a few times you start needing to shake it regardless of brand, at least in my experience.

They’ve all worked great besides some that I got off camofire one time for like $1.99. I bought 5 of them since they were so cheap. I wish I could remember the brand but they sucked, you had to shake the holy hell out of them and you’d get such a huge puff that your binos and scope and clothes would get dusted if they weren’t covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN2shot07

WKR
Another vote for milkweed, no shaking required.

I got one of the little pouches the hunting public sells for Christmas, mesh on one side where you can pull pieces through - works pretty good. It stays attached to my bino harness

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
Thanks fellas, like the milkweed idea. And I'll try smoke in a bottle.

Cubby

WKR
Tie a piece of string on the end of your barrel, but that doesn't really help while walking through he woods.

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
Your "go-to" wind checker? 🤦‍♂️ sounds like a conversation at TAC between two dudes decked out in Sitka to shoot 3D.

It's not baby powder, it's soda ash. And I've never seen one that doesn't have a flip up top, maybe look again.
Several of them are in fact baby powder (talcom). Smoke in a Bottle referenced above actually appears to be glass micro balloons -- which is interesting. If you don't get where I'm coming from, I doubt you've ever been trying to plan out or execute the last 50-100 yards on an archery stalk.

I use chalk In a bottle. Always have and always will. It’s in my hand pretty much the whole time I’m elk hunting.

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
You expect me to believe that you can draw a bow but you just posted on the internet that you can't open a flip top wind checker with one hand and shaking it is proving difficult? Don't be silly.
I guess some peoples HANDS are bigger than others :ROFLMAO:

To the string and lighter guys. We switched to milkweed and puff bottles many years ago. I think it was an article by the Wensels that opened our eyes to confirm it...
Wind is tricky. I have released milkweed and had it go 20 yards "downwind" then abruptly take a hard turn or even come back around behind you. It swirls, eddy's, and twists.
Just a feather on your bow or a lighter will cost you game for sure.

SonnyDay

WKR

I like the moccasin joe bright light, smoke in a bottle is second choice but the dye does make a big difference seeing the direction.
They also make a little clip pouch, I hook that to my Bino harness, always open one handed and give it a little shake with a squeeze.

I just remembered this was on my “get list” and now I kno what “to get”. Thx for making it ez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk