Big D*** Revolvers

EvanG17

FNG
I won a Savage impulse 300 win mag through a local raffle. And already have a 300 Tikka for hunting purposes. I am looking to get rid of the 300 impulse that I won and get a decent revolver. I would like to steer in the Ruger redhawk alaskan edition direction. Or something close to it. Anyone with any experience with a gun like this or similar to this

Have some. Had a bunch. They have their place. But yes.....most are borderline brutal to shoot. I see most as a Novelty item. Not that I condone drinking and shooting....but many of these are Jackass type stunts of "Hold my beer" and lighting off a cylinder.

Having said that I am about to invest in another 454....which I know is a mistake.

But I handload a ton and there is no way I am wanting to run anything full throttle.

I've taken a few deer with a handun. None have been with full throttle loadins. I simply want an accurate revolver to shoot middle of the road 45 Colt loads.

Some of the mega revolvers are heavy as a Tikka also.

If you haven’t already shot a hot 44 mag I wouldn’t go bigger than that before trying it.

Medium hot 45 colt will accomplish anything a 454 Casull will. Ability to handload would be important to recommend a 45/454 though.

All I currently have is a s&w 629 that won’t go anywhere, it’s a fine revolver, my first bigger revolver was a Taurus raging bull in 454, and it was a total pile, I really didn’t get to shoot it much after the first 100rds because it wouldn’t hold up, I sent it back, they fix it, get back, shoot a little, it would break, etc… after the 3rd trip back I traded it in for a s&w 500, and I loved it, really fun to shoot and was flawless… I did get a box of 700 grainers at one point and I didn’t really enjoy shooting those more than a couple times, but besides that it was fun as heck

At some point I decided I needed a different gun more and got rid of it but plan on replacing it soon, I miss that revolver

Wapiti1

WKR
What do you want to do with it? Hunt? Protection from fuzzy wuzzy?

Lots of options, but purpose will steer cartridge, barrel length, and SA verse DA.

Jeremy

Choupique

WKR
Heavy .45 colt loads get pretty gnarly. I can't imagine that wouldn't cover everything a guy could need.

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 460 S&W specifically for Alaskan hunting to have on my chest since i usually carry a rifle on the lighter side and way too small for bear.
Loaded up some 300 gr monolithics at max powder and it liked them but my wrists didn't. I practiced with 45 colts to get a draw and speed down with the trigger pull but the recoil and muscle memory to get back on target just sucks and takes a good bit of time with the 460. Will i still use it? Yes; with specific situations. Do i enjoy it? No. Literally the only gun i own that i hope to never have to shoot.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
S&W 329 PD will fill the need for abusive pain, but still have practical use in certain situations. I always wanted a 460 but now that I got the 329, I think that itch has been scratched. And it's definitely one of the most unique and quality pieces a guy can own. I encourage everybody to get one.

Had a smith 500. It was a great conversation piece. It's heavy and only held 5 rounds. I now use a Glock 10mm as it covers more than just Alaska. Plus I have it with me more as it's not a boat anchor on my chest.
Buddy carry's a s&w 329pd 44mag. Probably the only revolver I would go back to. User Alaskan guide holsters for both. They work flawlessly for hunting and even over a pfd.

If you want big the S&W 500 will do it.

Lemhi

FNG
I bought my dad and I a pair of S&W 460’s with the 8 3/8” barrels. I’m loading 300 grain XTP mags right to 1900fps. They are not unpleasant to shoot. We typically put 3-400 rounds through them each summer. As others have mentioned 45 colt rounds in them are like shooting a 22lr. I am sure the weight of the 8 3/8” and the brake help take the recoil, even my wife enjoys shooting it (outshooting me I should say).

gman82001

WKR
Watch for a ruger toklat. I had an Alaskan and hated it but the toklat is perfect, slightly heavy is the only downside. I also have a s&w mountain gun in 45 colt but don’t want to shoot anything too crazy in it like I can the toklat

lwtickner

Lil-Rokslider
I won a Savage impulse 300 win mag through a local raffle. And already have a 300 Tikka for hunting purposes. I am looking to get rid of the 300 impulse that I won and get a decent revolver. I would like to steer in the Ruger redhawk alaskan edition direction. Or something close to it. Anyone with any experience with a gun like this or similar to this
May be interested in the impulse. If selling shot me a pm