Big D*** Revolvers

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold a S&W performance center 460 xvr with 3.5" barrel. It was brutal to shoot. And deafening. I am looking for a 10mm to replace it.

I have carried a 45lc since 1970. I found a recipe for handloads (200-230 bullets) in guns and ammo. About 1300 fps. Recoil is tolerable and they shoot well in both my blackhawks and my model 94 winchester. They have been like a growth on my hip since I was 20. I have finished off well over 60 elk and quite a few grouse.

I found the 357 and 44 mag had a snap to it that I didn't find comfortable.

Swamplord

FNG
You want the biggest, baddest revolver ?

the 500 BUSHWHACKER wins that title !

need a BFR for the conversion

IMG_4552.jpegIMG_4553.jpeg

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
@Swamplord

That is one ugly revolver even if it packs a heck of a punch compared to the .500 Mag. Maybe the revolver equivalent of "butterface" in my view. :ROFLMAO:

Eddie

Swamplord

FNG
It's a converted BFR with a big azz muzzle brake, without the brake it's unshootable , it's comparable in power to the 500 Nitro Express & 416 Rigby but in a revolver, perfect for hunting moose, brown bear & grouse

IMG_5104.jpeg

I have carried a 45lc since 1970. I found a recipe for handloads (200-230 bullets) in guns and ammo. About 1300 fps. Recoil is tolerable and they shoot well in both my blackhawks and my model 94 winchester. They have been like a growth on my hip since I was 20. I have finished off well over 60 elk and quite a few grouse.

I found the 357 and 44 mag had a snap to it that I didn't find comfortable.
What's your flavor of LC? I am looking to add one. Been missing one for a while. I'd love to get a Bisley and chop it to about 6"

I have an early blackhawk with a 7.5 barrel. I've never had it modified and it shoots great. Extremely accurate.

In 1976 I got a new model but had the trigger lightened up. That helped for countinuous accuracy. So much that I shot the pchord bindings in a tree to retrieve our side band antenae when we moved in se Alaska. It has been outstanding for nearly 50 years.

A number of years ago I got one with a 5 1/2 inch barrel but have not found it to be as consistantly accurate.

Someplace in there I purchased a Bisley but it shot to the right. I traded it to my hunting partner. He had a gunsmith bend the front sight slightly and now it shoots consistant groups. It started life with a 5 1/2 " barrel.

All in all I would say I like the first two the most and carry the new model about 60% of the time but I do alternate.

I might add that I made a holster/ knife scabbard combination so its part of my kill kit. I carry 6 spare rounds for the pistol and a folding auxilary pac of spare cartridges (14) for my rifle. Actually I made two just because.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bunch of different big bore revolvers and customs from a few manufacturers I get to do a lot of hunting and shooting with handguns and live in bear country. Unless you reload, it’s not worth it and just get a 10mm auto that will be adequate for most applications. Handloading opens up a whole world of fun for bigger revolvers and allows you to customize many different options and shoot more. I find endless enjoyment in custom hardcast bullets of varying weights/power levels for long range shooting.

A double action Ruger in a .44 or .45 with a 4” barrel is really tough to beat. Pack-able, accurate, tough, easy to find accessories. Ammo can be loaded for easy target to dinosaur killers. A smith and Wesson Mountain gun is a thing of beauty, but rare and expensive these days. Single actions are great and exceptionally functional, but can be a PIA to shoot volume/train.

Last edited: