Bipod Opinions

What is everyone thoughts on bipods? Obviously there is the great ability to have a shooting rest always ready to go, but what are some problems you run into?

If you do like using a bipod, what recommendations do you have for one?

I switched from an Atlas CAL to an MDT Ckye Pod. Way more versatility and easier to deploy. The problems you run into are just the extra weight of carrying the bipod. However there are some systems where you don't need to keep the bipod attached to the rifle, I think the Spartan system is one of them.

If you're looking to keep the bipod attached to the rifle then it depends on your mounting system and the weight you're willing to carry I suppose.

$125 -> Harris with lever installed (look it up on Short Action Precision's site) sling stud compatible
$200 -> MDT Grnd-Pod (only picatinny/ARCA attachment)
$450 -> TBAC bipod (mainly picatinny rail attachment)
$600+ -> MDT Ckye Pod (picatinny/ARCA/sling swivel compatible if you go with the lightweight version)

If you're looking for a system where you carry the bipod in/on your pack and attach it at the last second, I'm way out of my depth and think @Happy Antelope is the guy to talk to.

TaperPin

WKR
I still use old school Harris bipods - they are heavy, an antiquated design, and stiff legs are probably not the best choice for top accuracy, but they are durable and the proven design has changed little in half a century..

I was curious about one of the Chinese knockoffs and picked up a used one for like $20. Honestly, if someone didn’t have a Harris to compare it to, it would be very hard to tell them apart. The metal is slightly thinner (barely), but other than that all feel and functionality is the same. When one of our grand kids needs a bipod I’ll get them a knockoff Harris - they can upgrade it down the road to whatever catches their eye.

matthewmt

WKR
I like Harris for the $ and as stated they're tried and true maybe same or lighter than atlas.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I think it matters most for what and how you’re going to use it. I have many bipods and each has their own uses. For benchrest accuracy I like the Accutac pods as much as any of them. Harris are my favorite simple pod; especially if mounting on a sling stud. I use these mostly on traditional hunting rigs. I’ve got Thunder Beast and Atlas pods as well, but I don’t use them as much, although I think they shine best when shooting prone. When shooting from a mat, especially in gravel, I really like the Thunder Beast Pod.

MDT CkyePod if weight is not a concern. If you need height, shooting up/down hills or shooting seated, I would go with a Ckyepod.

For weight savings I run an Atlas Cal.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I switched from an Atlas CAL to an MDT Ckye Pod. Way more versatility and easier to deploy. The problems you run into are just the extra weight of carrying the bipod. However there are some systems where you don't need to keep the bipod attached to the rifle, I think the Spartan system is one of them.

If you're looking to keep the bipod attached to the rifle then it depends on your mounting system and the weight you're willing to carry I suppose.

$125 -> Harris with lever installed (look it up on Short Action Precision's site) sling stud compatible
$200 -> MDT Grnd-Pod (only picatinny/ARCA attachment)
$450 -> TBAC bipod (mainly picatinny rail attachment)
$600+ -> MDT Ckye Pod (picatinny/ARCA/sling swivel compatible if you go with the lightweight version)

If you're looking for a system where you carry the bipod in/on your pack and attach it at the last second, I'm way out of my depth and think @Happy Antelope is the guy to talk to.
"If you're looking to keep the bipod attached to the rifle then it depends on your mounting system and the weight you're willing to carry I suppose."

I think that hits the nail on the head. Hunting is different than the range for sure, I highly doubt there is "one" bipod that's "best" for "both"

I like my atlas and I just swap it between rifles but I’m considering going no bipod and just practicing more off a pack, tripod, and shooting sticks. For hunting that is.