Bison Hunt Young Bull or Cow

IMG_7301.jpeg
This was a roughly 7 year old bull that I got back in 2022, it filled a standing freezer with meat and I got the skull, shoulder mount and back half of the hide tanned.

IMG_2521.jpegIMG_8929.jpeg
IMG_1034.jpeg
IMG_7848.jpeg

The meat was good but the meat was definitely tougher wherever there was fat. I found that cooking low and slow or roasting in the crock pot definitely helped the tougher roasts.

I appreciate all the feedback. I ended up going with a cow. I’ll try for a mature cow that’s 5 - 6 yrs old and call it a day. The other factor was the price difference. Basically, the difference was my NR Idaho elk tag therefore, a compromise since I have funds allocated to other hunts.

I spent sometime looking at bison pictures from bison ranches to get an idea on size in reference to cow vs. young bull. The below cows are 6 year olds. Pretty decent imo! View attachment 706925

Biggest distinction I saw was in the horns, the cows have thinner more curved horns and the bulls are thicker with larger bases that don’t curve in as much.

I would recommend the younger bull. I shot a very large older bull and cooked the ribs in a crackpot for Easter, and he was pretty tough. My buddy and I taped him out, and he exceeded B&C. I had 350 pounds of burger and had everything else into steak, roasts, ribs, etc. I should have buggered the whole dang thing!

I'm getting the skull euro'd and tanning the hide, which will probably end up to $1600 or so.

After he was gutted, skinned, and his head removed, we cut him in half lengthwise with a cordless Sawzall. Burned through 2 batteries and still had to cut a bunch, so I had to use a chainsaw. Thankfully, my buddy drove and has a 3/4 ton pickup. My tacoma would have struggled with this load!
e6266d537507bab1c6b173ad741071a9.jpg
4bc9d941b12a0dc64158bdc08a282abd.jpg
3629ce3ebbc5e4099c96c6ee8b51cc34.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back