Book recommendations

bigv

Lil-Rokslider
Someone recommended Blood Meridian on this chat quite awhile ago. I bought it new -read it. I would sell to someone if interested.

TX_Diver

WKR
Endurance is a great book. Probably been recommended many times.

Once an Eagle by Anton Myer is another great one that will take awhile to read.

I've enjoyed all of Jack Carr's books and most of Ben Macintyre's books too (agent zig zag, SAS: Rogue Heroes, etc.) which are all based on true stories.

ahlgringo

WKR
Tag

Just finished Empire of Ice and Stone. Made me rethink my views on Steffenson and a whole lotta respect for Bob Bartlett- that guy was nails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaboy

WKR
A River Runs Through it and other short stories...Norman Mclean

Band of Brothers - Ambrose., a classic

"Everest, The West Ridge - Hornbein"....talk about a DIY adventure, amd true story

"Ellis Kackley, best damn doctor in the west"...pre anti-biotic era medicine in the west

The Ghosts of Everest....great read on piecing together the last days of Mallory

JStol5

WKR
History:
Theodore Rex
Men to Match my Mountains
Beneath a Scarlet Sky

Military:
With the old breed
Once an Eagle

Fiction:
Lonesome Dove (my favorite book)

Beendare

WKR
Speaking of Jack Carr, its scary how prescient his book, “ In the Blood” was in regards to the latest Hamas attack.

I’ve read a few of the Michael Connelly I missed, all excellent……and a few duds [not Connelly] recently

I just finished, Cutting for Stone” by Abraham Verghese,

Two twin brothers born in Ethiopia, the culture and their story. Revolving around the connection they have and the medical profession. It is probably too slow for some here, if you liked Books like Kite Runner,-excellent or the Steinbeck stuff, you will like this…I liked it

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
A River Runs Through it and other short stories...Norman Mclean

Band of Brothers - Ambrose., a classic

"Everest, The West Ridge - Hornbein"....talk about a DIY adventure, amd true story

"Ellis Kackley, best damn doctor in the west"...pre anti-biotic era medicine in the west

The Ghosts of Everest....great read on piecing together the last days of Mallory
My Father climbed a bit with Willi Unsoeld in the 50’s.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Beowulf, roughly 700-1000 A.D.

The Last Of The Mohicans ... James Fennimore Cooper, 1826.

TX_Diver

WKR
Speaking of Jack Carr, its scary how prescient his book, “ In the Blood” was in regards to the latest Hamas attack.

I’ve read a few of the Michael Connelly I missed, all excellent……and a few duds recently

I just finished, Cutting for Stone” by Abraham Verghese,
Two twin brothers born in Ethiopia, the culture and their story. Revolving around the connection they have and the medical profession. It is probably too slow for some here, if you liked like Kite Runner, you will like this…I liked it

The previous one that dealt with AI was similarly spot on...

For another slightly different recommendation

Never Split The Difference - Ben Voss
Start with No - Jim Camp

were both good books based on negotiating. Like leadership it's not something you'll learn from a book, but having had pretty much no training of any sort on negotiating I thought both gave some useful points and were good reads.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I was thinking that a few weeks ago. I read all but the latest one in a few months after seeing it recommended on here. Good reads.

Ghostwalker: Tracking a Mountain Lion's Soul Through Science and Story.

Never been lion hunting but this was recommended to me. Great book.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Everest: The West Ridge is a very great adventure book.
In a similar vein, Ed Webster's Snow in the Kingdom is very good. 4 guys doing a new route on a more remote side of Everest, with some thinking about youth, death, and climbing. He's a good writer and photographer.