Boot Recommendation For Late Season MT Muley Hunt

NCAggie81

FNG
I’m headed to hunt the Bear Tooth Mountains in north central MT in the last week of Mule Deer rifle season late November. It’s a walk, glass & stalk type hunt. Went last year & it got miserably cold on the last few days of the hunt. Temps are gonna be cold with ranges from -10 to 30 highs ( this happened last year). Walking 3-7 miles a day to & from the truck. I have 2 pair of Oboz Bridger hiking boots, the 8” with 200g Thinsulate & the other 10” boot with 400 g Thinsulate. Last year I wore my 8” Oboz with 200g Thinsulate & they were adequate but my feet were really sore at the end of each day. Any of you guys have experience with these boots? I wear the Oboz non insulated boots daily & they fit my feet like a glove but I’m not hiking with a pack & no hills where I live. If you think these boots are insufficient for the hunt any recommendations that won’t break my bank for a new or used set (size 13). Been looking at Crispi, Kenetrek & Schneel boots but most of these are over $400 unless I catch them on sale or used. Thx to those of you that’s can provide some guidance on this too!

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
Boot blankets and 200 or 400gram with good socks. Nothing worst than walking in heavy boots full of sweat when its cold out, unless you glassing from road or truck hunting then heavy boots are fine....

2-Stix

WKR
socks are very key if you can thicken up your socks it helps, change when wet on the mountain. i run crispi wild rocks in 400gr. they give great stability. pac can be warmer but not stable. boot covers when you glass.

Last edited:

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I would look for a boot with more insulation than 200g. 400g would be my minimum, but probably more like 800g for that cold and that few miles. I have the Crispi Wild Rock 800g and love them. The Kenetrek Mountain Extremes are great, but I have some issues with the heel slipping. Try different boots on and see what works for you. Unless you find a crazy deal, you’re probably going to be in the $400+ range. The good thing is these boots will last a long time.

Personally the most comfortable and my go to when temps are below 30 is kenetrek extremes 400s. Schnees pacs would be a second.

I’d look at Pac boots…. There is nothing that compares or will dry like a wool lined pac when it’s cold. If there is snow on the ground, I’m in pacs.

The best part about pacs… Remove liner and put in sleeping bag or wear them in sleeping bag… you’ll have dry/warm feet every day no matter the weather. And you’ll hunt way harder with warm/dry feet.

There is nothing that sucks worse than waking up and putting a frozen, wet boot on.

I don't understand that if you're willing to spend $700+ on a NR deer tag then why aren't you willing spend good money on quite possibly the most important piece of gear you'll need to keep you comfortable in the field ????

t_carlson

WKR
From your post it is not clear whether your issue is with cold or comfort or both?

For temps, from -10 to 30 is really asking for TWO pair of boots to adequately address the issue. A really warm pair of pacs and then a lighter, "all-around" boot.

For comfort, that is just personal preference. For me, Kenetrek ME 400's are THE boot for late season western hunting. Crispis give me bad blisters, but others say they work well. Just depends on your foot.

OP
N

NCAggie81

FNG
I don't understand that if you're willing to spend $700+ on a NR deer tag then why aren't you willing spend good money on quite possibly the most important piece of gear you'll need to keep you comfortable in the field ????
My reluctance in spending a lot of money is due to the fact that this is a customer entertainment trip, and I may not be making it again in the future. I’m an avid deer & turkety hunter in my home state of NC as well as family hunting trips in Texas. All our flatland hunts in box or ground blinds with little hiking involved. Last year was the first Mule Deer hunt in MT and I’m hooked but hesitant to spend $500 on boots with two girls in college. I’m gonna upgrade what I have before this trip but will have to catch the boots on sale or used. My request for info is to find the right boot to look for this year’s hunt. Thx for your feedback too.

270Hunter

FNG
Hoffman Pac Boots, they’re waterproof and tough, also they have the wool liner that you can take out and dry every night. I live in Montana and they’re the boots I wear after about the middle of October and they are the best late season boot I have ever worn. With the leather upper of the boots being made in Idaho they are a boot that lasts. My pair were actually my dads that we had rebuilt and they are awesome.

OP
N

NCAggie81

FNG
Hoffman Pac Boots, they’re waterproof and tough, also they have the wool liner that you can take out and dry every night. I live in Montana and they’re the boots I wear after about the middle of October and they are the best late season boot I have ever worn. With the leather upper of the boots being made in Idaho they are a boot that lasts. My pair were actually my dads that we had rebuilt and they are awesome.
Thanks for this feedback. One question, how are pack boots for hiking? My experience with Pac boots is limited as I do own a old pair of Sorrell boots that look look pac boots and I’d never consider hiking in them. I use them a few times it snows a few inches around here. Do the ones you use fit like a hiking boot? Which model of Hoffman do you own? Thanks for this info too.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
We're it me I'd buy Hoffman Explorer boots that I'd likely us a lot, and zip-over boot blankets for sitting still.

OP
N

NCAggie81

FNG
Thanks for this feedback. One question, how are pack boots for hiking? My experience with Pac boots is limited as I do own a old pair of Sorrell boots that look look pac boots and I’d never consider hiking in them. Do the ones you use fit like a hiking boot? I

PNWGATOR

WKR
I’ve hiked throughout Idaho, including the Panhandle, Frank Church and Selway in pac boots.

Hoffmans are what I’d choose.

2-Stix

WKR
blackovis runs 20% crispi I think in Nov, each year I make a gear list and search the sales to build by goods up.