Boot stiffness

wramos

FNG
I'm interested in trying some new boots. I have a pair of Hanwag Mt. Lights and am interested in Zamberlan Sella 1030, Guide 960, Lowa Cevedale, and Lowa Tibets.

How do those boot compare in stiffness to the Mt. lights? Which is stiffest and how do the rest compare? I'm sure some of you have tried a couple of these.

Thanks for the help.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Lowa Tibet GTX as well as Kennetrek mt extreme and tried the mt lights. I found them all to be a well made and stiffer style boot very comparable to eacb other. i think the mt lights might have been a little softer. I pretty much run the lowa's now because of how they fit my foot.

Huntfun

FNG
I switched from Hanwag to Zamberlain 2 years ago, had 2pr of Alaskans and 1pr Mt Lights, to get more toe room and am very happy with all 5 pr of Zamberlain boots I now own. I have also owned and used Lowa Tibet GTX, which also do not have enough toe room for me. To me the Hanwag Mt Lights are not in the same class as any of the boots you have listed. Of the Zamberlains you listed the Guide 960 are much stiffer and more suited for hunting in rougher terrain; they are what I use and really like them. The Sella are very very nice boots and expensive! I bought and sent pr of Stellas back because I felt they did not provide enough stiffens for hunting Elk in the Mountains in a variety of terrain going to very rough. I also have a pr of Steep which are nice but they do not have the rubber rand that the 960s do which I like for Elk hunting in rough terrain.

What do you plan to use them for?

OP
W

wramos

FNG
Thanks for the info so far guys.

I plan on using them for elk hunting. Usually do a lot of walking in rough terrain without trails. I want a boot that will minimize to foot pain.

BPB

FNG
I have both the Hanwag Alaskan and the Zamberlan Sella. The Zamberlan requires more breaking in. Zamberlan gives me more room in the toe area which I like, the heel cup keeps the heel down better and I like the sole better. The heel area of the sole on the Hanwag is narrow and gives an unstable feeling when climbing around on rocks. Zamberlan gives a wider sole and feels more stable. I like both boots but Zamberlan a little better.