BOWFISHING SETUP?

Cubby

WKR
I'm wanting to get into bowfishing the rivers around the town I live in but don't want to make one of my hunting bows into a bowfishing rig so looking to buy a package setup, my question is what are others using that working good and won't break the bank? Also I'm left handed so that might limit my selection some. Any help would be great

Beendare

WKR
I had an old Mathews MQ1 I used for years…then I went to a dedicated fish bow and a recurve.

The dedicated fish bows are fantastic. I didn’t think it would be a big deal, but the lower letoff makes a big difference in smooth and quick ‘draw and shoot’. These don’t have the big rollover of modern hunt compounds.

I prefer the Muzzy reels over the bottles. The reels help with bigger than avg fish (10# plus) especially when they want to dive down into the weeds- more leverage. It is a good idea to have an extra pickup pin for the reel if you aren’t used to using them.

For easy cheap fun the bottles are easy to use and work fine. Get a cheap recurve, some arrows and have fun. Seriously, dont overthink it.

I had a big boat with a custom platform and lights, generator, invertors, osprey bow, etc. Lots of fun was had with that rig.

WoodBow

WKR
Cheap used recurve around 45-55 lbs and an ams reel. You will need a strap on bracket for the reel if the bow does not have threaded inserts. Most don't.

MattB

WKR
If you can find an old, long ATA, low let-off bow on EBay, that could be your best bet. A friend who used to run one of the largest archery shops in AZ turned me into that formula and I am glad he did. Having some let-off is great for holding on cruising fish that are approaching the boat, but it also makes for better snap shooting than high let-off bows.

I really like my AMS retriever, but as above you will find opinions on both sides of the retriever/reel debate.

A lot of the really old compounds with smaller cams can be found cheap and do well for bowfishing. Nothing wrong with a recurve either. I’m a big fan of AMS retrievers, avoid Cajun reels.

Wheels

WKR
Where are you located? I’ve got a lefty Mission Craze bow fishing set up that I no longer use that I’d make you a good deal on. Not really wanting to ship it though.

OP
C

Cubby

WKR
Where are you located? I’ve got a lefty Mission Craze bow fishing set up that I no longer use that I’d make you a good deal on. Not really wanting to ship it though.
Dang I'm in MT