Brush Busting Pants?

OP
cornfedkiller
My Duluth Trading logger pants showed up yesterday, and I got to try them on last night.

The material is like Carhartt duck canvas material. The pants fit very nicely - not baggy, but not restricting at all either. The gusseted crotch is nice when kneeling or crouching. The construction of the pants is awesome as well - definitely well made. They are definitely stiff, so it will take a little while for them to loosen up and get broken in, but I think they will be nice for all kinds of outdoor work/activity.

Not sure if they will stop 100% of thorns and stickers from getting to my thighs, but I assume they are going to stop 90%, which is good enough for me.

If you are on the fence about a pair of the pants, do yourself a favor and check them out!

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Carhartt model B01.....made in the USA and you can tell the difference in them and the imported ones. They have a double front on the thigh that extends to just below the knee and they have a nice fit. I've heard great things about the Duluth pants but the Carhartts are just very available where I live and cost less.

I use the Carhartt model B01.....made in the USA and you can tell the difference in them and the imported ones. They have a double front on the thigh that extends to just below the knee and they have a nice fit. I've heard great things about the Duluth pants but the Carhartts are just very available where I live and cost less.

use the B01 as well for brush clearing here on the plantation. they are great. recently bought pair of the upland carhartts. much lighter material but appear to be pretty tough. they would be great hiking pants as much more flexible than the 01 have not tried them yet, maybe later this week tho....

OP
cornfedkiller
UPDATE: Got a chance to wear my Fire Hose Logger Pants out in the timber this past weekend and they performed flawlessly. I walked through a TON of briars, thorns, multiflora rose, etc, and can't recall even a single thorn poking me in the thigh. I had 1 or 2 that got me down on my shin where there is only a single layer of material, but where there are two layers, there was no problem at all. The pants also still look brand new even after putting several miles on them, and the fit is perfect. They weren't restricting when trying to climb over logs or jump across creeks or anything.

Only two cons so far is that the seams are still a little abrasive on the inside and chaffed the inside of my thighs a little, but I'm sure they will soften up after a little time and washings, and they are a little heavy if the temp is above 60, but with two layers of the firehose material, that was expected.

I would definitely recommend them!

LBFowler

WKR
a nylon front is by far the way to go. While double fronts add durability they don't much for stuff sticking to them/chewing them up if it is just the same duck cloth as the pants themselves. I have some cordura front carhartts that are pretty good, and I've always toyed with buying the cabelas upland pants. Now I just sew cordura fronts on whichever pants I feel like wearing, the tight weave means it sheds brambles rather then catching them.
The filson stuff works because between the tight weave and the wax they are also super slippery and just slides through brush, anything with a loose open weave like most carhartts or heavy denim is going to struggle.

Chaska

FNG
Arborwear Tree Hugger pants are without question, the best I have seen or tried. The canvas weave is so tight it is more brier resistant than the double front pants. I hunt a lot of upland game and have seen every type of gear out there. For my money these are better and more comfortable than anything else. Nylon shell pants are not as impervious to cactus, thorns, thistle as this and the nylon face is not comfortable in hot or cold weather. I do have heavy waxed canvas chaps but I only wear them when the snow is deep or it is really cold.

The only negative on the Arborwear pants is they are all cotton so if they get wet they don't provide much warmth.