bugle question for the old guys

I have had the same bugle for the last 8 seasons,no complaints at all. E.l.k. Royal , is the model, a "vacuum hose" style . I have done well with it and am not looking to change. I would like to hear from you guys who started on these and now use the wiffle bat style. they cant be easier to carry,and im sure you killed elk with the former, is the tone that much better? what made you switch? or not..

Last edited:
Ya I played that game and went back to my old standby. I got a new tube cause I couldn't find my old 1 when I was packing up for second weekend hunting, lucky me I found it at a setup we had done on opening weekend. I used the new tube for the weekend since I had it with me. I don't think it really sounded any different to me and it didn't carry as well for me with my setup. A friend of mines son was just starting out elk hunting that year and my new tube was exactly what he wanted so I just passed it on to him, 4 years later and he's still packing it.

Hey I resemble that remark! (grin) Ha Ha, I hear ya on your question though. It reminds me of when I used to wear 80.00 Danner boots & a make shift pack that I modified to do everything from day hunts to packing elk quarters. Yes it worked & so did the boots but as I realized there was better things out there I continued to upgrade as my needs arose, boy am I glad I did, it has made life much easier!

The same with my bugle, I've upgraded over the years a bit at a time it seems over the original vacuum style bugle hoses. Sure I called in tons of elk with them & mouth reeds just as I put on many miles with my old boots & pack but I'll take the newer bugle models with the larger barrels anyday over what I used to use. -- I think a person has to examine his intended use of his bugle. If you only bugle to locate elk then rarely use it after that you can pretty much use anything. But if you use it like we do to find situations & develop them so bull sounds are ones dominant use then you'd appreciate a better sounding or more realistic ones. I know I wouldn't give up mine to go back to the 1-1/2" hose style no more than I'm going back to my old boots or pack. (grin) A good bugle with good mouth reeds are very hard to beat!

ElkNut1

I will just say that I have discovered that no matter how much two sounds may appear to be identical to me, the elk immediately know the difference.

I lost my long time tube several years back and then experimented and indeed the new tubes provide that little extra realism that I like, the Bulls like and more so my confidence says that is good. As Elknut noted if you are a caller who uses all the calls/talk available to replicate Bulls in that intense and in close setting the tubes make a difference. As you noted not easier to carry around but that is just how it is. I would not trade my new tube for my lost one that called in hundreds of bulls.

There is no doubt the bigger tubes by Elknut and other sound better....but they are much bigger to haul around with you in the woods. Decided to stick with my old tube.

Personally, I evaluated all of the "Stuff" I haul around and decided to minimilize it- focusing more on my skills, YMMV

The curley Q copper tubing worked well for a while and fit in your pockcet, that was my first call. Then Larry D came out with his first blow thru call. You had to sit on a stump after blowing thru that dang thing for fear of passing out. Called my first bull in with it and shot him at less than 10 steps.

Oh yes the ole Larry jones call it had its time like the hoochie but on to better and more realistic calls 30+ yrs later:) means we are old if we comment about it......

Hey I still use the Larry D persuade piece on my elknut chuckler for the best of both world
I gag on a mouth reed for anything longer than cow talk

Ha Ha, good stuff guys! I too cut my teeth on Larry Jones calls. Does anyone recognize this bugle? I was 21 here, wow that was so many years ago! (grin) It's one of Larry's!

ElkNut1

Attachments

• Paul bugling.jpg
    Paul bugling.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 55
Heck, I can't remember that far back it was 40 years ago! (grin) I do know the bugle & the red double reed I was always using was ole Larry's though!

ElkNut1

Back