Bugle report

I went the first three days in total crickets. No sign, no bugles. I haven’t gone three days straight and not gotten into elk in... I don’t know how long. Maybe never?

Just my thoughts here but they were bugling during the first hunt here in west central NM when we were into them. They weren't coming to calls aggressively but they were talking.

Not being in elk does not equal not bugling.

Hot and dry will be the story for Week 1 here in CO.

Our only huntable bugle came from a mid-morning slow play in a super isolated bedding area...Really had to get that bull worked up. Ended up being an awesome 6 point who just never gave me a shot opportunity in the dark timber.

Reminding myself to be patient and stay diligent. There’s a lot of good hunting ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great bull, Paul. Congrats! I’ve spent a year getting ready for the season. Got on a couple bulls last Tuesday in Oregon. They were quiet. I was hunting in the Santiam Canyon. Now it’s completely destroyed by fire. Still uncontained. All of our hunting spots for miles and miles. Gone. Our permits that allow us to hunt private land are closed, too. And a huge part of me feels like the right thing to do is to help our community. Hundreds of homes have been lost. Families. Friends. I am encouraged to live vicariously this season through your pictures and other posts. Thanks for sharing.

Bugles in the am and pm here in central MT. Better in the pm it seems. Also, most bulls I’m finding will answer when called to in the pm.

I have not seen or heard of any bullfights going on in the Gila as yet. I am looking for bulls for the rifle season. I will probably go back in early next week. Today is the first good day to hunt since the weather moved through. If I had a 1st bow tag, right now I would be listening for bugles an hour before gray light then moving in on 'em. If you guys hunt it hard right now it is the best time before the 1st season expires. Good luck!

Had one going off this morning. I was just a little out of position when he came down onto the bench. Went out the same way he has twice already. Hoping to have a welcome party the third time he tries it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Haven’t heard a peep. Even night hiking trying to locate. Got into two different groups of cows. No bulls with em. Glassed some bulls up high all alone. Expecting all that to change soon.

Spent 5 days out in CO and heard nothing at all. Saw a herd with 6 bulls, a bunch of cows and calves and not a bugle. No cow talk either. Pretty rough week with the weather

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ljrunyanii, when faced with a bachelor group of bulls get to 200 yards or closer, choose a good setup, go to the Advertising Sequence, this is all bull sounds & raking, no cow calls at all.

A good setup means these bulls cannot see where the calling is coming from until they're in either your range or your shooters range if there's two of you! If you have the ElkNut Mobile App go to the Advertising Sequence Video & Tips section, it will show you how we perform this tactic, it's very deadly early on in the season! Good luck!

ElkNut

Only night bugles in southern Colorado (where I’ve been). Hoping it picks up tommorow!

Been off and on here in SW Alberta, with the hot days being more active than when the cold weather moved through, but have had some great action and coming to calls, just not the right shot to take yet.
Lots of bugling in the National Park last night, but not near the numbers or action there usually is this time of the year, but there were a few high 300 inch bulls calling steady.

Just got back from Wyoming, had bulls bugling everyday from 9/4 -9/11. They were extremely responsive outside 200 yards but really took a lot of work to get them somewhat close within bow range. Every bull had a handful of cows as well.

Hunting northern Colorado, haven’t heard any unprovoked bugles but I’ve been able to get them bugling once I start calling the last two weeks, will be back out tuesday hopefully they’re talking by then.

Back