Bugling updates?

I heard my first bugle yesterday about 1500ish, but that's it for me in SW Colorado. I've been between 10,400' and 11,700'.

n2mywake

FNG
We're leaving Ky Monday morning headed to CO until the 25th. I hope I've timed this right (sounds like we have)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Heard a bull bugling with a chuckle a few times last night North of New Castle, CO. He was below us around 9000'.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sitting in my tent in SE Idaho right now and have 4-5 different bulls bugling off and on near me. Guess ill have to take a benadryl to sleep

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
Leave Tuesday and have spots picked in 74, 751, and 77. Any updates from those areas? Has it cooled off?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Any Gila Updates?? I start hunting Next Friday and Im hoping were going to hit it perfect.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well, 3 bugles since daylight and seen three other hunters. Not what I was hoping for. Hope next weekend is better with the front coming through, much cooler temps and no moon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
I'll be reporting when I get back Fri or sat on northern CO. Leaving in the morning. My hopes are high.

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, if this thread is any indication unit 77 is pretty crowded. I'm headed up there tomorrow, what's the latest on weather and elk talk?

TR909

FNG
My wife hiked a basin northeast of Crested Butte CO this morning. Said that bulls were going off the whole way up the valley. This is a completely different situation than what I encountered all weekend in an adjacent mountain range and GMU less than 12 miles away.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
North ideho update in two days was able to get 6 bulls bugling called in one 5 pt to 50 yds and had a good one going yesterday until two hunters started blowing flutes and gig was up...👍Talking by the elk still on the get ready side

ElkNut1

WKR
Bugling a bit weak still, they can be heard but not like it will get real soon! That being said, there's one less ID bull out there! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Been out the last 3 days here in SW MT (Fri, Sat, Sun). No self - initiated bugles from any elk until Sun morning. Just a soft, quiet bugle from one of the satellite bulls. Answered and he came to us silently. Then we had a barking contest back and forth as I tried to line up a shot on him for my wife. Never happened though. Too many trees in the way.

Friday morning, I tried a locator bugle on a totally silent mountain top just before sunrise and a herd bull was having none of it. He came straight over ready to rumble. Held him there, screaming at each other for 30 minutes. Only shot ever presented was a straight-on frontal and I'm not trying one of those. He decided the day was getting too hot to argue or something and proceeded over the top. I followed bugling, and he was answering but not interested anymore.

They're not quite to the stupid stage yet but, almost. Rain and cooler weather forecast for end of the week. We're headed back up to camp starting Wednesday. Its almost ON!

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Have heard 4 bulls in central Idaho. Heard one friday evening, no shot and got back on him in the morning. Chased him until 11 and he finally came in. Wind switched, I rushed the shot and missed just under him. Called a bull in with no shot opportunity Labor Day weekend as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rexahayes

Lil-Rokslider
had a spike at 35 and a nice bull at 100 in some thick stuff down low 9k. he was just a chucklin lol missed a big cow at a distance I don't care to mention on my second to last day in southern Colorado. tempted to make the drive again for just one more weekend...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

North of New Castle, heard real aggressive bugling yesterday across the draw from 3pm to 6:30. Those guys must have had to leave to get ready for work today. Other than that, mostly locator bugle occasionally in the evening and throughout the night.

Seemed like they were nocturnal this past weekend. Fresh tracks after raining at night. Should be better next weekend when the moon wanes.