Bugling updates?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
called in one 5 pt to 50 yds and had a good one going yesterday until two hunters started blowing flutes and gig was up...Talking by the elk still on the get ready side

I hear that. My daughter and I saw or heard more hunters the first day and a half than I've experienced in this area in the last 6 seasons combined, and they were all blowing flutes. But had fun with a few of them. A couple chased us almost all the way to the truck, and even kept blowing after I slammed the truck door. LOL.

We had some bugling above and below camp early Sat morning like 0300, but definitely nothing serious at that time. I did get one going for my daughter......I mean really going Sun evening.......he's not bugling anymore. To use Paul's expression........(grin).

Last edited:

danarnold

WKR
Central Idaho 7k ish ele.
I was working a downhill point and a 5pt caught my wind from below, I cow called softly and rolled around a bit when he came to investigate showing his head above the quakes @20 yards upwind of me, I managed to get an arrow nocked without him figuring anything out, he rolled out to 30 yards and put a sapling between us when I went to full draw… I wasn't holding my tongue out at the right angle while trying to lean away from the sapling because my arrow bounced off of the top of his back knocking off a clod of hair. He freaked out and ran over a knob just out of sight and gave me the nervous glunk about a dozen times as I called back quietly and tried to move in but he split silently

Last edited:

RStarck

FNG
Bulls were going crazy over the weekend in central Colorado. OTC unit. Bulls would keep you up all night and then shut down at 8:30 - 9:00. They would start up again around 2:30 and go non-stop throughout the night Unreal experience..

Leave Tuesday and have spots picked in 74, 751, and 77. Any updates from those areas? Has it cooled off?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just came out from 751, no bugles or elk. Very little animals period. It's hot during the day, cold at night. They have feed and water everywhere. Good luck.

Finn16

WKR
Been dead quiet in SE Colorado. They are in the tress before daylight too which makes it even tougher. I have found wallows, rubs, fresh tracks and droppings but haven't seen or heard a bull.

JWP58

WKR
Northern CO/southern WY they are bugling from about 1800 to 0730 where I was at. Even bugled in a bull yesterday morning. Still too hot though.

hobbes

WKR
Been dead quiet in SE Colorado. They are in the tress before daylight too which makes it even tougher. I have found wallows, rubs, fresh tracks and droppings but haven't seen or heard a bull.

I don't remember seeing any trees or elk in SE Colorado. :)

ID panhandle, they are very vocal from 6:30-8:00 am on warm days and 7-10:30 on cooler days. Now a week of rain coming that could shift it again. Had a 20-30 minute conversation with a bull yesterday, but he didn't feel the need to break cover to investigate. Guess he didn't feel like a fight.

Jjamesdean

Lil-Rokslider
Dang. Really hope it picks up soon. Headed to the Sangres early next week.
Hearing bugles in the Sangres. Getting hot finally. Had one screaming 2 days ago at 2pm. 11.7k ft.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just wanting to see if people are hearing much bugling yet? Should be about time for it to start up, hopefully.

High up, in the Ponderosa's of, the Hell's Canyon, country of, Idaho, my son and grandson called in a nice Bull, last Night 9/16/17 before, Dark ! Couldn't quite get off a shot, tho,..due, to the Bull being exposed, partly behind, a couple of Tree's ! THEY are TALKING,.. NOW, tho !!!
Colder weather, Rain, etc.,.. YIPPEE !! !! GOOD Luck,.. ALL !! and shoot,.. STRAIGHT !

@ CookeMonster,.. keep working on, em !! One will,.. make a "mistake" eventually,..then, you'll be,.. Skinnin' and Grinnin' ! Might try, being a lil' more,..aggressive and,.. "sneak in" on, your belly ? Good luck !

gabenzeke

WKR
Been in and near the Weminuche for a few days and they've been pretty quiet. Haven't even seen one. Hoping we'll at least run into a cow in the next few days!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just came out of weminuche after five days. Did not hear a bugle but glassed a nice bull only to run into a couple other hunters that were on the same bull. Was able to take a shot at a cow but hit a limb first. They were bedded and didn't make a sound or respond to my calls at all. Alot of hunters and outfitters in 77 and not much elk activity. I am moving on to another spot now.

BigDog00

WKR
They're starting to fire up in the Snowies. On Saturday I Worked a bull (with 2-3 satellites) from about 9am up until 12:30ish without anything to show for it. Had a decent 5pt bugle his way in this morning, but a bad setup prevented a shot. .